Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Catholic children's book on "the talk?" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 25 2005 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Mare

A friend has just asked me for a recommendation on Catholic sex ed. books for her 6 and 8 yr. olds. The first thing that came to mind was Angel in the Waters.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Mare

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2005 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Mother's Little Helper and Listen, Son come to mind. Mother's Little Helper is a book I just purchased to give me ideas on how to talk to my 9 yr. old. It was written some years ago (1930's) and I don't think it would be appropriate to read aloud together...I plan on reading it to myself, taking notes and then using those notes to help me have some fruitful discussions with my daughter...."Listen, Son" is for boys...Hope this helps!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Patty
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 25 2005 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Patty

Catholic Heritage Curricula sells a little book called _The Joyful Mysteries of Life_. I don't have my copy in front of me right now, but it explains in a very beautiful way that God has made each of us male and female, and that we each have a vocation. It talks about the womb being the "palace of the child" and does mention the father's role in reproduction, but in a gentle way. It also talks about how some people are called to love God in the religious life.

You can find it here: https://blitz.goldrush.com/chcweb/shopcart/products.asp?id=2 9&cat=Resources

God bless,

Patty
Back to Top View Patty's Profile Search for other posts by Patty

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 26 2005 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

Thank you so much! I will pass on these links to her.

Peace,

Mare

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2005 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote mary

I will second The Joyful Mysteries of Life. I have used it with my 6 and 4 yr old to explain menstruation. They have a lovely analogy of the baby's first cradle in the womb and there are questions to ask at the end of each chapter.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2006 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I want to gently touch on human reproduction for science with the kids before the baby comes. I am rediscovering Before You Were Born and trying to find a book we read once that referred to Tummy Straws but no luck so far.

Anyway, does anyone have any other picture book ideas for reproduction (even not human)? We're not a scientific language house. We've decided to wait until the kids have more discretion before introducing those sorts of terms.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 22 2006 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Have you seen Angel in the Waters? A beautiful book for the progress baby in utero. I was so happy to see it in the Gift Shop of Prince William Hospital.

I'm going to be true to form and recommend some lovely Out of Print Books. Maybe I should change my user name to "JennGM OOP"? I only recently found them and was completely delighted. I found a few copies on www.bookfinder.com that were reasonable in price.

Mary Reed Newland illustrated two lovely books. One for younger children is called How God Made You, by Robert P. Odenwald, MD, P.J. Kenedy & Sons, 1960. This one is for the younger crowd, combining the wonderment of creation and God's goodness, working in our daily family life with the Church (baptism, patron saints, etc) with a brief overview on the facts of life. No scientific terms, I think this would be appropriate for your dc.

The second book is well done on the facts of life, but for older children. Scientific terms rolled into using a couple as an example. Illustrations are nice, not too graphic. It's called How You Were Born by Robert P. Odenwald, M.D. This has more text, like 4th grade and up reading level.

While these are very reverent, they aren't apologetic for reality.

My mother used Mother's Little Helper for me. I thought the language was TOO veiled and not helpful to me. I ended up browsing Mom's medical books to find out what was going on with me! And although I have had a good relationship with my mother, I was not comfortable talking facts of life with her, so I didn't ask questions!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 22 2006 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

JennGM wrote:
The second book is well done on the facts of life, but for older children. Scientific terms rolled into using a couple as an example. Illustrations are nice, not too graphic. It's called How You Were Born by Robert P. Odenwald, M.D. This has more text, like 4th grade and up reading level.

Thanks for the recommendation, Jenn. I just ordered this one for the talk I've been procrastinating on for some time now. I did not really find the tone of "Mother's Little Helper" to be my style. And although I own "The Joyful Mysteries of Life", I would only use it for my own reading and for ideas of how to present things. I didn't care for it as a book to read along with my dd's. I'm hoping this one will be more what I'm looking for.

JennGM wrote:
While these are very reverent, they aren't apologetic for reality.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you clarify?

The lack of recently published good Catholic options for books of this nature is sad. Maybe one of us should step up and write one?

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2006 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Thanks for the ideas, Jenn. We own Angel in the Waters. That one is just right for my kids.

I think the difficulty in writing this kind of book is that people take such different approaches to how, when, and how much to tell their kids about childbirth, sexuality, body parts etc. Irene, you write it, and I'll buy it for all my friends.

We err on the side of conservatism in this area. There are boy parts and girl parts and chi-chis (located on your torso). God puts the baby in Mommy's tummy, (although they do know they have to ask Daddy if they want more babies, so they know he's involved somehow ) and God opens a special door when it's time to let the baby out. Where the door is....they do not know.

We chose to approach it this way because I heard so many "cute" stories of kids using scientific language inapproriately and also to avoid too much interest in my body since at this point it is often easier for me to shower with everyone at once.

Now if this baby comes before we can make it to the hospital (not improbable), we'll do a crash course.        

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2006 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rachel May wrote:
We chose to approach it this way because I heard so many "cute" stories of kids using scientific language inapproriately    

Oh, this is my problem right now. Dh and I didn't discuss, and we have some potty training going on, dh is a part of the process. I was a little shocked to hear ds pointing to body parts and giving names, including "This is a p****."

I don't think it's wrong that he knows, but how do I teach him that we don't talk about it with others? I wasn't prepared for this...I guess you never are at whatever age!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2006 at 3:08am | IP Logged Quote Erin

The books you mention seem geared for younger children. Would anyone know of a book that I could share with dd12 telling her the 'next step'? I have explained how babies are made in gentle language but not explicitly, and enough about menstration that she could handle, she didn't want to listen at all

I want something in a beautiful language expressing the sacredness of the marital act. Also as she is not asking questions about all this should I just wait till she asks? She is not an old 12 in this area, she does NOT want to grow up. I'm also not particularly worried that anyone else would say anything, her friends are not like that.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2006 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin wrote:
The books you mention seem geared for younger children. Would anyone know of a book that I could share with dd12 telling her the 'next step'? I have explained how babies are made in gentle language but not explicitly, and enough about menstration that she could handle, she didn't want to listen at all

I want something in a beautiful language expressing the sacredness of the marital act. Also as she is not asking questions about all this should I just wait till she asks? She is not an old 12 in this area, she does NOT want to grow up. I'm also not particularly worried that anyone else would say anything, her friends are not like that.

The second one illustrated by Mary Reed Newland talks in brief terms, not details, of the marital embrace.... I said 4th grade reading level, but I would probably present the information at time of puberty. I can send you a quote in a PM if you wish....

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2006 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sorry, me again. Irene, you mentioned The Joyful Mysteries of Life. One ds thought it was great. Would this fit the bill for Erin?

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 24 2006 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

JennGM wrote:
Sorry, me again. Irene, you mentioned The Joyful Mysteries of Life. One ds thought it was great. Would this fit the bill for Erin?

It would, I think. I thought it was what I was looking for, but I found it not exactly what I would want to sit and read aloud with dd. I can't remember the details right now and have to run out in a minute. I'll try to say more later. Anyone else care to comment on The Joyful Mysteries of Life?

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Jenn!
My book arrived today! (How You Were Born by Robert P. Odenwald, M.D.) I've just read through the first half and I'm so pleased with it. It's a bit old-fashioned sounding (copyright 1963), but not in the way that Mother's Little Helper sounded to me. I think it will be perfect for us.

Thank you so much, Jenn!!!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 30 2006 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

teachingmom wrote:
Jenn!
My book arrived today! (How You Were Born by Robert P. Odenwald, M.D.) I've just read through the first half and I'm so pleased with it. It's a bit old-fashioned sounding (copyright 1963), but not in the way that Mother's Little Helper sounded to me. I think it will be perfect for us.

I'm glad you like it, Irene. I get nervous when I recommend books because everyone's tastes are different. I agree with you that it's a bit old-fashioned, but definitely not like Mother's Helper. Ugh, I just cannot like that book...but some of it comes from my personal experience growing up!

I don't think the age suggestions on books are ever very accurate...the parent should know best. I'm reading books to my son way above his age level, but on the s** ed level, I would probably be behind the curve. They don't need to know so much at so young an age. And your girls are seeing you as "the mommy," and that's more teaching than any book can give!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 02 2006 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I've been reading all these recommendations with great interest. Although I have to say none seem to quite fit what I'm after

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

farmgirls
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 12 2006 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote farmgirls

Erin,

I just used "The Joyful Mysteries of Life" with my almost 10 yo dd. She loved it and even filled out the "Chastity Contract" and gave it to an elderly couple who bring her home from choir practice.

I have recently read "Beyond the Birds and the Bees" by Greg Popchak and found it immensly helpful, the Couple to Couple League also has a curriculum plan that includes 5 lessons at each grage level. I haven't used it yet, but it looks promising.

I have found that my kids have made more inferences that were in error than I could have imagined.
Back to Top View farmgirls's Profile Search for other posts by farmgirls

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version