Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: co-op problems (not for little eyes) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 08 2006 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I agree with everyone. I would not even consider attending if they don't switch locations. The precious hearts and souls of your dear children must be guarded. If the unthinkable happened, you could never go back and undo it.

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2006 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

I agree with everyone that you should get out, Amy!

Just a note about using the s*x offender registry, though. Just because you have an offender near you is not necessarily a cause for concern. Some crimes which require registering do not indicate any danger to your family. (In some states, public urination, for example. Not good, but not something you should be branded for life for either! A consensual relationship between a 16-year-old girl and 19-year-old boy is another situation that could require the boy to register. Again, not good, but no reason to lock up your children.) The registry isn't always clear what the actual crime was, but I think in most states you can request more information.

Even more important, registries can give a false sense of security. The most dangerous offender is the one who hasn't been caught yet.

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2006 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Thank you everyone, for your support, and for confirming what I really know in my heart.

I wrote an email to the board of directors (did I mention I'm one of them? ) and said that if things didn't change in the neighborhood, our family could no longer meet there. If everyone else wanted to stay at that house, we would have to drop out. It's been two days, and I haven't heard back from everyone, I think because the "president" is waiting for the "headmaster" to come back from a vacation today.    I'm having an awfully hard time waiting though!    These people in the co-op are good friends, our only friends really, and I know there will be tension.

I found out more about the man next door, and he was arrested for abuse to a 3 and 1 year old. All the more reason for our family to stay away.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 10 2006 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Tracy -

Your point is well taken that some things not really threatening to young children could land someone's name on the registry. I would imagine that the opposite could also be true: that someone could have pleaded guilty to a lesser offense and then be on the registry for that lesser crime and seem more harmless than they really are. Or even without a plea bargain, could have been convicted of a less serious crime because there was not enough evidence to prove the more serious offense, even though that really is what the person did.

Obviously, this whole area is very tricky and I don't like to be prejudiced against a person just because he landed on the wrong side of the law at some point. Still, I would never risk exposing any child to the possibility of an encounter with a s* offender.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2006 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Good to hear that you are taking action, Amy.

Proximity to evil is very serious. I also wouldn't risk it.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote amyable

More information has come through, and now everyone in the co-op has weighed in with their thoughts.

Apparently the man next door is one of the top 20 s*x offenders in the county. There are no laws in our state preventing him from living so close to a school, but the higher ups in his case can recommend that (probation officer?). He is right now living with relatives, so at least as far as I'm concerned, even if his *legal* address were to change, he could come visit these people anytime.

Out of the six families in the co-op, two feel it necessary to not meet at that house. Everyone else is OK with it. Both families who are "abstaining" are on the board of directors, cutting that in half. Plus one family contains our Catechesis of the Good Shepherd catechist, which cuts a huge hole in our co-op program.

Emails are going around among members, but not fast enough for me who is desperate to figure out just what I'll be doing with the rest of my school year. This co-op contained not only almost all of my girls' socialization (all their best friends) but much of my non-core subjects - art, catechesis, health, nature study, etc. Not to mention that the moms were my friends, and now there is tension mounting.

Feeling more than a bit lonely this morning, and coveting your prayers...

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

Amy,
You most certainly have my prayers.

amyable wrote:

This co-op contained not only almost all of my girls' socialization (all their best friends) Not to mention that the moms were my friends, and now there is tension mounting.

This sums up my co-op experience and I know how lost I'd feel w/o it so I feel your sadness. My co-op group meets this a.m. and I'll ask those great ladies to add you to their prayers.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Amy,

I have been thinking about you since you first posted this thread. Have you read any books by Gavin de Becker? He wrote Protecting the Gift...it scared the hell out of me...but it needed to be read. I had a situation in my neighborhood this summer were I helped a 16 year old who was almost abducted. Very frightening! The police told me listening to your instincts is (almost) always full-proof in helping prevent crime.
You are doing your best to protect and cherish your children. God will honor that love and devotion. Maybe the co-op won't work out this year..whose to say?!? All will be well b/c you took care of your family. If there is tension in the co-op remember you are NOT the cause of it..you are trying to be proactive and prevent something awful from occuring. It is always lonely when you bring up topics people are not ready to confront. Be assured of all our prayers. I hope you have peace soon and this situation resolves itself soon before any other child is hurt by this person.
Mb
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Amy, I am sorry that the co-op is so divided. It must be so hard for you to do what you think is right when not everyone else is on board. I am praying for you today.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Cici

Amy, I'm sorry, too, that this is causing so much division in your coop, and so much hardship for you personally.

I'm praying for you and your daughters today.

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Amy -

This is very difficult for you and the other families involved, I am sure.   I will keep the situation in prayer.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

Amy,
We are praying for you, your children, and the rest of your co-op.

tracym
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote tracym

Amy,
I also am sorry to read that it is causing tension among your friends. I think you are making the right decision though.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2006 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Amy, we are praying for you. Would the people be open to moving if another location were found so that the group could stay together? Just a question and I know it would not be easy to find - but we'd pray for a great location for you all .... I'm sorry about the tension. One of the worst feelings is seeing disunity in a Catholic group and it is one of the devil's techniques I'm afraid. I pray that those who chose to stay are protected from harm or move before anything happens and that they are understanding of those who felt they must move. You are not the cause of the division - people can make different choices and remain close if there is charity and respect both ways. We will pray for this for your group.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 12 2006 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Praying for you all here too.

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2006 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

ALmom wrote:
Amy, we are praying for you. Would the people be open to moving if another location were found so that the group could stay together?   

That's the thing - this group has been looking for a good location for years and we were constantly met with problems. This current location seemed like a "Godsend" as some have put it.

Thank you again, everyone, for the prayers. New information comes out every day, some contridictory, I don't know *what* to do or think anymore...and I feel like I've crossed over into the realm of "I couldn't go back even if they moved." I'm sure that is my pride though - but it would definitely be a completely humbling experience to return. I don't know if I'm up to it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version