Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Living Books about Dolphins and Whales Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 30 2006 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Any suggestions??
Thanks!
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2006 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Island of the Blue Dolphins comes to mind first. Also, not a book, but the movie Whale Rider is wonderful.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2006 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Would these be appropriate for a 6 and 7 yr old? I have a copy of Island upstairs, I may have to dig it out and read it myself. I think I remember hearing it read aloud in 4th grade??
Jennifer

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 12:56am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This was a very interesting picture book we read when we were studying Russia (set in Siberia). A Symphony of Whales

I've read a couple other books by this author and illustrator - and they are beautiful, so I figure this one would be good as well though I haven't read it. Baby Whale's Journey

Amos and Boris is one I remember from my childhood. Not realistic fiction about whales, but fun.

Moby Dick is another classic I think of when whales are mentioned. I know that it is old for your girls, but I see that they have some abridged, picture, and comic books which might be fun.
Moby Dick picture book
Moby Dick abridged
Moby Dick comic

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 02 2006 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

"Do Whales Have Bellybuttons?" is a Scholastic Q&A book and informative that my little ones have enjoyed.

I loved the very simple yarn, "Helen the Whale" when I was six. Seems like we read it in Spanish, "Elena la balena" or something like that-but I'm pretty sure I've seen it in English, too.

Do re-runs of the old Flipper movies count? They are fun, and boy did they inspire me to love dolphins(and I just adored Sandy, too )! I know I've seen them available in the big lots bins at Walmart, and online, too, very cheap.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Henry the Sailor Cat, Henry's on a sailboat!

We have always like Rainbow Fish and now there is another story - Rainbow Fish and the Big Blue Whale

The Sign of the Seahorse: A Tale of Greed and High Adventure in Two Acts basic sealife, not basic storybook at all.

Music Of Dolphins is about a feral child raised by dolphins. Quick read for adults, you can see if it's appropriate for your children quickly.

My dh recommends The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy wherein the dolphins are the second most intelligent beings on Earth, umm...this would be sci-fi I suppose?

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home with whales George and Gracie, sci-fi, (warning: foul language in humorous setting).

Dolphins in mythology if you are doing mythology this year, you might check out some of these ancient myths.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Dolphin Adventure, Dolphin Treasure, and Dolphin Freedom, by Wayne Grover. These are short chapter read alouds, easily able to finish one a week. Sonlight uses one of them in their K level, I think. My 6 and 7 year olds love them...high action and a true story about a diver who gets the opportunity to rescue a baby dolphin (brought to him by the parents) and then later in another book, the dolphins rescue him. No pictures, but a good story.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Thank you all! I put alot of things on hold at the library and will go pick them up today. I also put Flipper in our queue at Netflix. We've never really done a unit study/rabbit trail before. How should I document all this? SHOULD I document all this? Notebook? Narration? Just let her wallow in all things dolphin?
Thanks!
Jennifer

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Don't laugh but our favorite is: Baby Beluga illus. by Ashely Wolff. Such beautiful pictures of Arctic Life and I never get tired of singing the song (and my oldest children can't help jumping in).

We also like: Humphrey the Lost Whale
                Dolphin Treasure and Dolphin Adventure
                Dolphins! (A Step into Reading book)
                Whales: The Gentle Giants by Joyce Milton

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

JSchaaf wrote:
Would these be appropriate for a 6 and 7 yr old? I have a copy of Island upstairs, I may have to dig it out and read it myself. I think I remember hearing it read aloud in 4th grade??
Jennifer

We just listened to it on tape. I'm not sure how much my 4 and 5yos grasped, but they did listen quietly to the whole thing.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Not exactly living books, but my kids really like the Draw Write Now series. Books 4 and 6 have nice examples of whales and dolphins. Some craft books they love are the Kathy Ross _Crafts For Kids Who Are Wild About_ series. There is a Wild About Polar Life book and Wild About Oceans too.

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2006 at 2:41am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

What about good old Burt Dow, Deep Water Man by one of my very favorite children's authors, Robert McCloskey? I also second Humphrey the Lost Whale. That one is really more living than the other, but Burt Dow is so much fun!

When we did our whale/dolphin study, we used a field guide (I think it was DK) to identify them, listened to whale songs, talked about how they breathed, explained that they were live-bearing mammals and watched an IMAX film on sea creatures. I don't remember doing a whole lot of art on the subject. It's been quite a few years since we did it.

I would recommend waiting on Island of the Blue Dolphins until the kids can grasp more hefty subjects.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2013 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just read and loved!
Dolphin Baby - Nicola Davies Informative, easy to understand, soft illustrations.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version