Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: CHC Tour South America Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 23 2006 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Getting ready to start touring South America here...someone asked about read-alouds on another thread. Here is what I have found so far:

The Great Kapok Tree: A Tale of the Amazon Rain Forest by Lynne Cherry--children's picture book, lovely, rich illustrations of the rain forest and animals who live there, environmental theme

Tonight Is Carnaval by Arthur Dorros--children's picture book, illustrated with arpilleras (colorful wall hangings put together from cut and sewn pieces of cloth) sewn by Peruvian women, about a family living in the Andes mountains as they prepare to celebrate Carnaval (Mardi Gras)

Miranda's Day to Dance by Jackie Jasina Schaefer--children's picture book, illustrated with beautiful pastel drawings, about a girl who receives a piece of fruit from a different South American animal everyday, then uses the fruit to create a fruit-topped hat for her dancing costume! At the end of the story, there is a short description of each animal and fruit.

Saturday Sancocho by Leyla Torres--children's picture book about a little girl and her grandmother who go to the local market with only a dozen eggs to barter for the ingredients they need to make the Saturday chicken sancocho. At the end of the story is a recipe for chicken sancocho, a traditional South American dish. Looks yummy!

Llama and the Great Flood: A Folktale from Peru--children's picture book about a llama who saves the Indian people he lives with from a great flood by leading them up a high mountain; based on myths from native people of Peru

Tales From Silver Lands by Charles Finger--a collection of 19 folk and fairy tales from Central and South American native peoples, woven together by a narrator who is traveling from country-to-country through Central and South America. Illustrated with a few woodcuts. Newberry Medal Award winner. The language is rich and interesting and I think it would make a great read-aloud.

Holy Friends: Thirty Saints and Blesseds of the Americas--published by Pauline Press. I don't have this one yet, but it is on the way through inter-library loan. The librarian told me that it is owned by 44 libraries throughout the US, so if your library doesn't have it, there is a good chance you can get it through inter-library loan.

Stories of the Child Jesus from Many Lands--a collection of stories from different countries, including South America. I'll read "The City of the Sun" to the kids during our South American tour.

I also checked out some geography books on South America from the juvenille non-fiction section of our library. None of these are really outstanding literature, but they've got some nice photograghs and maps.

We'll also be using our     
National Geographic Animal Encyclopedia to learn about a few native South American animals, our atlas for reference, and Uncle Josh's Outline Maps for mapwork.

I don't have a week-to-week plan laid out yet, but I'll post it when I do. I probably won't use all of the resources I've listed here. I hope at least some of them are available at your libraries!

Dawn

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 27 2006 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Here are a few more read-alouds...

The Umbrella by Jan Brett--children's picture book, beautiful illustrations, about a little boy who goes searching for animals in the tropical forest near his home

Slowly, Slowly, Said the Sloth by Eric Carle--children's picture book, about a sloth and his response to questions from various tropical forest animals about why he is the way he is

The Greedy Python by Richard Buckley and Eric Carle--children's picture book about a python who eats every animal he meets; not all of the animals are South American animals, but it's a funny story that a 2nd grader could probably read to himself for independent reading; my mom used it in her rain forest unit w/ her 1st grade class

Dawn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version