Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Round is a Mooncake (Shapes) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote ami*

This would be a great picture book to use for unit study at the beginning of October (Chinese Moon Festival)

Here is an
"animated" version of the book on-line

And here is the Unit Study
that goes along with it
Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Mid-Autumn Festival is October 6. Asian stores have mooncakes available now. They may be an acquired taste for some -- they're salty-sweet and very rich, and some Chinese actually hate mooncakes , but we love them here. Our favorite are the lotus seed paste ones with salted duck egg yolks inside.

or you can place your order for the best mooncakes in San Francisco

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Stef -- you are a wealth of information. THANKS for the link.

My siblings and I used to go to a French School right down the street from Chinatown in SF. Boy, does this bring back memories of the annual field trip to Chinatown and eating lunch in Chinatown.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

stefoodie wrote:

or you can place your order for the best mooncakes in San Francisco

I think I'm going to order a few for when we do our unit study! Thanks for the link.
Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Stef, you are the best! I miss my mooncakes. This is the first time I am far, far away from Chinatown. :/ It is just not the same without the mooncakes...

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Ami --

This is a great unit study -- thanks for the link! I love the idea of the tie-in with China and I wanted to do a tangram unit anyway.

And the Mid-Autumn Festival next year is on my birthday!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 20 2006 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

OK, I'll admit it -- for some reason I'm really getting "into" this unit study. Maybe it's because it's the first time this "school year" that I've had a few minutes to really plan something

Anyway, I think I found a good recipe for Moon Cakes -- this one sounds doable and yummy. Ami, any thoughts on this one?

I also found mention of another book which could be added to the unit about the Mid-Autumn Festival -- Moon Festival. It sounds like it's a great tie-in. And here's another that sounds like a good read-aloud for the week -- The Moon Lady? Here's one that has a tale about the Mid-Autumn Festival with recipe for "Five Treasure Mooncakes" -- Moonbeams, Dumplings and Dragon Boats. Anyone know anything about them?

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 11 2010 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Nina Murphy wrote:
Curious George learns the Alphabet---makes remembering the shapes easy

Our favorite "shape" books:

Mouse Shapes
My Car
Brown Rabbit's Shape Book

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version