Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Help with curly hair Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

My daughter has very curly hair and I have no idea what to do with it. My hair is pretty straight, so I am wondering if one of you with curly hair can tell me if I am doing something wrong. Do you need special brushes or combs or conditioners or ... to keep curly hair from getting out of control and frizzy.

Thanks,

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Patty,
You need Curly Girl!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

My hairdresser recommended that book too, but I haven't read it. I've done a lot of pouncing on moms with girls who have hair like my daughter's and asking what they use. Here are a couple of things that have worked well for me:

Use a pick or a wide toothed comb.

Wet hair is a must. I like combing it in the shower best since the heat plus humidity seems to make it easier.

I put conditioner on her hair in the shower almost every day, but I only wash it about once a week unless we've been swimming.

When her hair is dry, I use a little olive oil after her shower.

I just found out my favorite products aren't being made anymore so I won't recommend any.

Last thought, I have learned to put small braids into the front of Maria's hair. I put hair glue in as I braid, and it keeps the front fairly neat for about 2 weeks. This hair style cuts the combing in half.   

There are 2 pictures of us here in the fireside chat if you want to see.   

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Elizabeth wrote:
Patty,
You need Curly Girl!

Thanks for the tip, Elizabeth! I just ordered it for my frustrated curly-top dd.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Rachel has hit a lot of the Curly Girl points. Conditioner is key and shampoo should be used sparingly, just every so often. I don't use a comb or a brush, just my fingers and the scrunching gel. The book has lots of recipes and remedies for all kinds of curly situations.

The curly girl routine was a little high maintenance when my hair was short, but no more than blow drying, etc. had been. I got my hair cut shortly before I got pregnant. Then I was literally too sick to get to the hairdressers for ... ever. Last week I went to the Hair Cuttery a mile from my house and just had her trim the split ends. I think the book has given me the confidence to just let my hair be hair and step away from trying to tame it. A $14 haircut twice a year? Works for me!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

My Emily has VERY curly, red hair. When she has it under control it is very pretty and she gets compliments on it a lot. Unfortunately it is very hard to keep it under control.

The products she likes best are Aussie Knot Forgotten Conditioner and Aussie 3-Minute Miracle Conditioner, she uses both after shampooing. Then she uses either a pick or a wide bristle brush while her hair is still wet. She also adds gel and hair spray to help keep the frizz down but it isn't always effective, especially during the summer.

Every morning her hair is a wild and crazy mop.    If she doesn't wash her hair, she gets a tight bristled brush wet and brushes small sections, keeping the brush and her hair wet as she goes. This takes a long time.   

I always wished for curly hair as a kid. Now, I am so glad I wasn't cursed, I mean blessed , with curly hair!

I hope you find something that works well.

Blessings,
Krisann

DGC Kira, Auston, Travis, & Sarah.
My Blog: Isla del Esperanza
Back to Top View shartlesville's Profile Search for other posts by shartlesville Visit shartlesville's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

You could always borrow the electric razor from this thread.

Don't throw hairbrushes at me...I couldn't resist.

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

ladybugs wrote:

Oh, I know I saw that post and couldn't stop laughing. I have thought about doing that, but my husband says he wants her hair long so I wouldn't be submitting to my husband, but that is a whole different thread.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

A lot of the information that is in the Curly Girl book is also here at the Curly Girl website

I was never curly or frizzy until I had my first child -- it's taken getting used to!

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2006 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Patty LeVasseur wrote:
ladybugs wrote:

Oh, I know I saw that post and couldn't stop laughing. I have thought about doing that, but my husband says he wants her hair long so I wouldn't be submitting to my husband, but that is a whole different thread.

We tried it. She looked like a boy.

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

I'm glad for this discussion. For most of my life, I have believed that I have wavy hair. Going to the one curly girl site, I realized that I actually have curly hair. I'm going to borrow the book from the library and see what may come of all of this. I admit that I am apprehensive about not shampooing.

Thanks all for making me aware of this book and its techniques.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version