Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Rain Forest plans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 15 2005 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

As we continue on our Rainforest Rabbit Trail, we discovered that here in our little town is one of the world's foremost centers for tropical canopy research, complete with their own collection of live, Poison Dart Frogs. We also discovered the presence of a canopy walkway in a nearby everglades-ish park, which took us nearly 100 feet up into and above the canopy, giving us birds-eye views of epiphytes and bromeliads in the wild. It was so much fun doing that after learning about it. A great book we stumbled upon is "The Most Beautiful Roof in the World" by Kathryn Lansky, about the director of the aforementioned tropical canopy research center, and her two young sons as they explore the canopy in Belize. Great read.

After that, we went and had dinner at a Brazilian "snack bar"...really, more a store that had a grill going in the back, serving rainforest-y things like yucca (farofa) and roasted chicken-hearts. We actually had something called "picana" (sp?) which I told the children was roasted tapir, but was actually a fabulous grilled steak. Topped it off with mango juice. The kids kept asking questions to the owner about Brazil and the Amazon ("Have you ever seen the Yanomami? Have you ever seen a Shrunken Head? Have you ever been in a canopy raft in the rainforest?" ). He was so nice, brought out a bunch of necklaces for the children, necklaces carved from deer teeth by Amazonian Indians. Big Impression! Altogether, this has been a most entertaining rabbit trail!
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2005 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I wanted to share that my kids really loved the "rainforest pizza" we had for a snack today. I got snack ideas from the http://homeshare.dreniarb.com/ site under The Umbrella. Yesterday we made a trail mix with peanuts, macadamian nuts, dried papaya, bananas, mangos and pineapples, chocolate chips and shredded coconut. Today we spread peanut butter on rice cakes. Then we put our trail mix "toppings" on the pizza and added some extra shredded coconut "cheese." We're also working on our lapbook. I hope to finish it this week. Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

ami*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 06 2005 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote ami*

We have just added a unit for The Great Kapok Tree that you may want to use when you study The Rainforest. We still have two lessons (erosion and art-line) to complete, but here is the link

http://homeshare.dreniarb.com/great_kapok_tree.htm

Here is the link for The Umbrella Unit
http://homeshare.dreniarb.com/umbrella.htm

And, one other book that includes the rainforest (set in Africa) is Lake of the Big Snake http://homeshare.dreniarb.com/Lake_of_the_Big_Snake.htm

Hope that helps someone in their rainforest adventure! Have fun!
Back to Top View ami*'s Profile Search for other posts by ami* Visit ami*'s Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version