Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Feedback on CGS Title Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

In Cay's Catholic Mosaic in the section on Recommended Resources, she mentiones some CGS titles. One title Catechesis of the Good Shepherd in a Parish Setting by Tina Lillig is one I'm wondering about. Can you give me feedback on this title? Is there information inside this book that is unique and helpful for parents who are doing a home atrium?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Jenn,
Call me simple but I love this little book. I found myself rereading it just a few weeks ago. It's very condensed. Here are the chapters:

Introduction
1: History
2: First Steps
3: Generosity
4: The Atrium
5: What to Offer in the Beginning
6: Handling the Changes
7: The Atrium within the Parish
Appendix
Notes
Bibliography

There are no pictures in it and it doesn't tell you how to do the presentations or how to make the materials but it is the perfect book to read if the CGS program is completely new to you and you need a starting point. It's also the perfect manual to give to the DRE or pastor if you're wanting to see about getting one started in your parish and the DRE and pastor are not familiar with CGS (many are not).

This book gives you samples of letters to parents, bulletin announcements, forms for parents to fill out at registration, atrium checklist, and a few pages from a catechist's album.

This book is definitely the book to use in answering the question "How do we begin the CGS in our parish?"

How does it serve the home wanting to use the CGS? It answers all the little mundane questions you may have. Such as:

The history, the exploring aspect, the formation, what about the atrium space, the costs of the atrium, and care of the atrium.

The author writes as a director of catechesis for a Catholic "faith community." Since the Good Shepherd was begun by a Protestant, it's nice to see a book supporting the CGS program within a Catholic community.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Cay Gibson wrote:
How does it serve the home wanting to use the CGS? It answers all the little mundane questions you may have. Such as:

The history, the exploring aspect, the formation, what about the atrium space, the costs of the atrium, and care of the atrium.

Thank you, Cay, for a detailed response. This especially is helpful. I've been reading many books on CGS, but sometimes they don't give concrete help, but more directional and philosophical.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I know what you mean. When I need to get back to the "basics", this is the book I pull off the shelf.

When the "directional and philosophical" complexities begin to immobilize us, it's nice to read something such as this...

"Through the various activities of the atrium, children are helped to know 'the great realities of life as a Christian.' They listen to stories of events in Jesus' life; they meditate on his parables while moving figures of sheep or holding a mustard seed; they paste cut-out shapes of Galilee, Samaria, Judea and Perea to form maps; they cut and arrange flowers for the prayer corner; they clean candles; they set the altar; they pour macaroni, then lentils and finally water and wine; they mix yeast and water with flour and watch it rise; they hold up the plate and cup in the eucharistic gesture of offering; they write out Jesus' maxims; and they make drawings, such as the one a five-yr-old made of a baby in a manger on an altar table. They do these things and many more, as well as pray, sing and wonder. The atrium is full of life and well worth the effort of inaugurating it." ~ Excerpt pg. 40-41 The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd in a Parish Setting

...and to realize that we---as home educations---are, for the most part, already doing this within our homes. The atrium is just a very special "prayer corner" where we can center it all.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

While I have you, Cay.... I'm going through my Amazon wish list, and wanted to know if you've read another title by Tina Lilig Catechesis Of The Good Shepherd: Essential Realities. If so, how does it compare to the Parish Setting book?

Thanks.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

JennGM wrote:
While I have you, Cay.... I'm going through my Amazon wish list, and wanted to know if you've read another title by Tina Lilig Catechesis Of The Good Shepherd: Essential Realities. If so, how does it compare to the Parish Setting book?

Thanks.

Nope. Haven't seen this one.
Anxious to know if anyone has it though.

mom to 5

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I found this Amazon List for Catechesis of the Good Shepherd.

Anything missing, highly recommended, what order to be read? I'm just gradually working my way through this list. I don't have loaning options, so it's a slow process to gain each title. Plus while I'm at it, I'm trying to read through Montessori stuff. That's another thread.

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 12 2006 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

Catechesis of the Good Shepherd: Essential Realities is a festschrift, a collection of essays in celebration of 50 years of CGS. Nice, but definitely not essential.

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version