Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Magnifikids Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 06 2006 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I am wondering if any of you use this resource. If you do, can you tell what you like about it? Also, do you buy one for each kid or share?

Thanks!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2006 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote mary

i use this for my ds this year at 8 and last year. my 6yr old is not able to follow along (his reading is not quite at this level yet) and so i don't get one for him. so, no sharing.

my son says what he likes best about the magnifikid is that he can follow along - the missal was too complicated with all the finding of pages based on dates. he also likes the comic strip.

i got a subscription for both my niece and nephew for their first communions - neither cared for it. you might get a sample and see if your children like it before you invest in a subscription. also, if you get a group together you can take advantage of the group subscription rate.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2006 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I have had them for a couple of years and they are great.
We don't allow anything in the pew though for any of the kids.
I find they don't read what they are supposed to, don't pay attention to what is actually happening, etc.. instead of being an aid - it's a distraction for my boys.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 06 2006 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

Martha:

Can you describe how you utilize them? We just started a subscription but I don't quite know the best way to use them with the kids.
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

We've been getting Magnifikid for over a year for my oldest son (11) and he LOVES it. He brings it with him to Mass every week and uses it to follow along with the liturgy.

We try to look at it before Sunday - round midweek - to read the comic and do the activities. We also use it to read the readings and Gospel aloud to the boys so they are familiar with the message on Sunday. (I just picked up a book called Celebrating the Gospels: Activities and Prayers for Sunday Cycles A, B and C for this purpose. It has a little more direction for each week.)

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote mary

dawn, would you let me know what you think of that book? it looks good.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

yes, dawn. i second mary's request. we also subscribe to magnifikids but i wish i were doing something more with each reading. we use open wednesdays sometimes, but i'm ready for an alternative.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Hi Molly,
We just began receiving Magnifikid last month. Sadly, we didn't really use them while still in vacation mode in August. One of our goals is to prepare our 6yo for Mass each week using them since she is preparing for First Communion. I only got one subscription, thinking that the primary target would be my 6yo, but that my 8yo would prepare for Mass with it, and even my 3yo might get something out of it.

I just wanted to let you know that the price really goes down with a group subscription, as someone mentioned. A friend of a friend sent an email out letting local people know she wanted to get a group together. I'm not sure how many people are in our group, but the price ended up going down to under $15 for the entire year. That's a huge savings. All of them have to be shipped to one address, but our coordinator has set it up that we have a box at my parish's office and she leaves them there for us to pick up at our convenience each month.

krgammel
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote krgammel

We have used them for quite some time. My ds (8) uses them at Mass, but I also save them and we cut them up and use them on notebook pages and lapbooks. I also use them for Wed lessons to prepare the children for the mass readings.

When we did our first communion notebook he was able to cut out the words for each part of the mass. Additionally, when we make a notebook page on a partiuclar topic or reading, it is handy do have the pictures from the front cover as well.

I love Magnifikid.
+Kristen
Back to Top View krgammel's Profile Search for other posts by krgammel

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2006 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

We have used Magnifikid for about 2 years now. We USUALLY read to prepare for Sunday Mass on Wed or Thursday am. I found this coupled with ds attending Kids Liturgy has really cemented a lot in his mind. We bring it to Mass but he really doesn't use it there.
They have some great activities. We love the art contemplation ones, and the family tree a few weeks ago was neat, a game about virtues a few months ago and the stories about the saints.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

My children enjoy Magnifikids as well. They use them to read the Sunday readings and say the morning prayer as part of their own prayer time. I used to have a free link to a web page that offered Sunday reading activities free but lost it:) Here is a different one, scroll down on the page to see the reading:
http://www.catholicmom.com/coloring_pages.htm

Laura in WI (Go Packers!)
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

Some kind person that went to the early mass gave me their copy of Magnifikids as we were walking in for the later mass. I thought this would be great for my ten year old to help her follow along, but she was only mildly interested. So I handed it to our six year old and he was fascinated. You would have thought someone had handed him an hundred dollar bill. He held it tight and stared at it the whole mass obviously thrilled that the priest was saying the words that were written in this amazing little book. As we walked out my husband looked at me and asked if I knew how to get those books. I said I had looked at them before, but they are kind of expensive. He said, "Expensive is a relative term." So I think I just got permission to order them.

I would suggest seeing if they would send you a sample copy (I bet they would) or if you can borrow one from someone and see if your children like it before buying it. You just might have a child who would love it.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

We use Magnifikid each week (my sister gave it to the kids' for Christmas -- NOT one for each). My 8 year old is the one who uses it the most. My 5 year old doesn't read yet and my 11 year old reads the comic and that's about it. When I have my act together, I read some of it with them.

One of my favorite things is the glossary at the bottom of the page for some of the tougher words.

I second what Patty said about getting a sample copy to see if the kids are interested. I actually bought a single month (4-5 issues) at my local Catholic book store to try it out before subscribing.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

5athome wrote:
Martha:
Can you describe how you utilize them? We just started a subscription but I don't quite know the best way to use them with the kids.

sorry it took me so long to see your request... don't know why it didn't show up under active topics...

anyhooo.

Honestly? I don't do much with them. We do so much faith based being hs-ed and so forth, I really don't feel a need to add more. These are pure enjoyment for them. I hand them out and the kids pretty much go with it themselves. I'll read it myself and sometimes there's some questions a kid or two will have. Mostly though they come home after mass and do the activities as they want during naps or whenever.

I've also "caught" them playing Mass using these. Which is fun and heart-warming.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I have been a Magnificat subscriber, and I love it, so after yesterday's CCD class I decided to get a group subscription to Magnifikids for my students. Anyone use it for catechesis [sp?]? I am so ready to chuck the book entirely, as I thought might happen, but I need something to help bring the Mass to life for the kids. Er, so to speak.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

MacBeth, it is so funny you mention the Magnifikids - which we *love* too - I was reading your blog yesterday, and the MKs leapt to my mind. I have been meaning to show them to our DRE. More people comment on those booklets when we are at Mass. I'm surprised so few people have heard of them.

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

I am thinking of starting a Magnifikids subscription for my 10yo son. He is just becoming a stronger reader in the past few months and I think he would enjoy this.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Rebecca, I think your son will love Magnifikid! If you'd like I can mail you a copy for you to look at. We keep them a week or two before recycling in case we need to refer back.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version