Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Our running list of book recommendations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 25 2006 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I love Louis DeWohl books. My children and husband know when I find a Louis DeWohl, daddy's cooking dinner!
My favorite has been The Quiet Light and The Spear. I like them because the setting and the people are real, not idealized saints with halos over their heads throughout the entire story. The one on St. Augustine followed his conversion in this way, the good and the bad, which helped me remember the saints really lived and breathed at one time and suffered many of the temptations and trials we do.

One for laughs is The Little World of Don Camillo by Giovanni Guareschi. It follows the life of a priest in a Communist country. I gave a copy to a priest friend of mine for Christmas and he read half of the book upon opening it and had several hearty laughs. My favorite part is when the mayor and leader of the Communists wants his baby baptized Lenin Libero Antonio.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2006 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I agree. De Wohl IS an enjoyable read. I really liked his book "Throne of the World" about Attila the Hun, Pope Leo, Aetius Flavius et. al. It really brought that era alive to me. This book has a really tacky cover, and seldom gets mentioned in De Wohl discussions, but I thought it was great.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2006 at 1:26am | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Thanks, Kelly. I never heard of "Throne of the World". It's on my list!

momwats8
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote momwats8

I love Katherine Valentine's Catholic fiction series starting with "A Miracle for St. Cecelia's. The next books in the series are "A Gathering of Angels, "Grace Will Lead me Home", and "On a Wing and a Prayer". This is such a great little series. I just loved it. She has started a new series that I am anxious to start reading.
Back to Top View momwats8's Profile Search for other posts by momwats8 Visit momwats8's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I just finished a cute book, really intended for children but I enjoyed it immensely. I'm currently reading it aloud to the kids but I liked it so much I skipped ahead and finished it :)

Nurse Matilda by Christianna Brand

It's the basis for the movie Nanny McPhee and I see there is also a version of the book with a cover from the movie, but we found the older one at the library and love the illustrations, too. (we did like the movie, which was what sent me looking for the book)
I think the stories were made up by the author's grandmother when the author and her cousin (the illustrator) were little.

Definitely light reading!

Oh, and I meant to ask our UK-ers, what "mopping and mowing" means. In the book, the kids were pretending to be mad after being bitten by dogs and "went on mopping and mowing"

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

ColleenC
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 26 2006 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote ColleenC

Hi, I've just joined this group. I am a eight year veteran homeschooling mother of 5. My sister and I started a book club for homeschooling mothers two years ago. It's been a great hit and we've had so much fun. I thought you might be interested in the books we've read so far.
A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken, My Heart Lies South by Elizabeth Trevino, Trianon by Elena Maria Vidal, The Secret Diary of Elizabeth Leseur, My Antonia by Willa Cather, Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy, Come Rack, Come Rope by Robert Hugh Benson, Prodigal Daughters by Donna Steichen, Kristin Lavrandaagter by Sigrid Undset, The Temperament God Gave You and Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis. These were all wonderful books and most are quite different from the other.

Colleen Cianflone, a lover of books!
Back to Top View ColleenC's Profile Search for other posts by ColleenC

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: July 27 2006 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

ColleenC wrote:
My sister and I started a book club for homeschooling mothers two years ago. It's been a great hit and we've had so much fun. I thought you might be interested in the books we've read so far.
A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken . . . .

I LOVE that book! I read it back in college and it still stands out as one of my all-time favorites.

deleted user
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 27 2006 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote deleted user

I gather that you will probably scorn these suggestions because they are pretty much unreligious and you are pretty fanatical, but sink your teeth into these juciy pieces of literature...

Oscar Wilde- The Portrait of Dorrian Grey
His only full length novel as this author mostly centerd on witty plays this book is a piece od genius which instandly sets inspirations running with the subtle storyline, which is basically known that an artist pains the picture of the beautiful Dorrian Grey. It caputures his beauty and in consequence the portrait ages while the man remain flawless.

Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
I'd recommend this book to anyone. You will never see you life in the same light after reading this book. The only word I lend this book is powerful. It tell the tale of Stephen Wraysford beginning in 1910 and progressing to his time in the first world war. The horrors of this war cannor possibly be imagined and this little mind blowing inside envoke immence interest to that time period. It's heartwrenching. You'll just have to read it.

Anne Rice - Interview with a Vampire
Aside from the hit film I have yet to watch the literature in this nocel is mind blowing. The metaphoric and sheer beauty and psychological gripping nature is something that all true artist much appreciate. It tells of a vampire autobiography
Back to Top View deleted user's Profile Search for other posts by deleted user

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2006 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

ColleenC wrote:
Colleen Cianflone, a lover of books!

Just wanted to say welcome -you are among booklovers!

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2006 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Serious wrote:
I gather that you will probably scorn these suggestions because they are pretty much unreligious and you are pretty fanatical

Wow, I am sure that anyone who knows me would say I am far from fanatical about my faith or that I only read religious books! Hang around here and you'll see a plethora of books suggested.

Actually, I have sometimes been accused of reading too widely - if there is such a thing.

We are big Oscar Wilde fans here - my two oldest sons and son number four especially liked Dorian Grey.

deleted user
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 27 2006 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote deleted user

Oscar Wilde not that bad - Not too contraversial nowdays. I feel they have such deep grisely under tones. They are incredibly sexist but I feel with out meaning to be. I don't suppose Oscar Wilde new women that well being a homosexual.

Still Check out the Anne Rice - Sorry I love sensationalism.

George Orwell -1984
Can believe I forgot the classic!
Back to Top View deleted user's Profile Search for other posts by deleted user

Patty LeVasseur
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote Patty LeVasseur

I just read the book Organizing for your Brain Type and found it to be a really intersting book. She has you take a quiz to figure out which type you are and I found it to not be very helpful. I also had several friends try it and they didn't find it to be very helpful either. But besides that it was very good. She talks about four brain types and how they all need to organize differently. The first type is the "Maintaining Style" and they love to organize and most organizing books are written for these types. (Think Martha Stewart). The next type is the "Harmonizing Style" and they are people that really prefer to spend time with people rather than organize. They also like to have their surroundings be beautiful and welcoming. (I think a lot of people on this list might very well be this type.) She says people of this type do well with Flylady or with organizing with a friend. The next type is the "Innovating Style" and they are people whose homes can look like an organizational disaster but they can usually tell you were something is. These are people who need to be able to see everything to feel like they are organized. The last type was the "Prioritizing Style" and they really just like to delegate their organizing. I really liked this book because I realized that I was mostly a "Harmonizer" who was trying to organizer her house like a "Maintainer" since that is what my mother is and what most books tell you to do.

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2007 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

I'm not sure if this counts as a book . Its kind of small but it helped me very much through lent .
It is a little book by Padre Pio . It is by tan books . Called the agony in the garden . It really helped me learn so much more about suffering , pain , acknowledgment and healing . I would reccomned it for anyone having hard times regarding healing & suffering .
I'm about to start Rosanna of the amish but haven't yet so can't say if it's good or not . Much lov rox
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2007 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Our family just finished an *amazing* living book called Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Imaculee Ilibagiza - This is an *amazing* true story about how the author (Catholic) survived the Rwandan Genocide in 1994.

After our parish priest highly recommended the book I was finally able to check it out of our library. My family (husband, two oldest dds and myself) have read the book (individually) in one week. Once you pick up you can't put it down!! It is truly an amazing, engaging story that will leave you with much to think about! This lady's experiences and her incredible faith in God and ability to forgive is so spiritually enriching!! The story did not leave me feeling depressed or yucky, more inspired and awed -- honestly I don't have the words to truly express my feelings... all I do know is this is one of the best living books I've ever read and Immaculee is definitely a saint in the making!!!

If you are looking for something good to read this summer -- I GIVE THIS BOOK FOUR THUMBS UP ;-)

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2007 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I believe she just spoke at the Eucharistic Congress here in Atlanta (I wasn't able to attend). They have podcasts available for download (and CDs to buy)
Archdiocese of Atlanta

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2007 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Leslie, I agree totally, Left to Tell was an excellent book. Forgiveness being a very strong theme that is a universal struggle for all...

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version