Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Discussion of Catholic Mosaic Titles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Love-2-Learn had this wonderful review of Catholic Mosaic by our own Mary G. (before she was homeless I came across this Footnote to review of Catholic Mosaic.

I've own two of the books. We read daily from A Peek Into My Church by Wendy Goody and Veronica Kelly. I've mentioned before that I don't like everything about it, but it's not unorthodox or undermines Catholic Teaching. I do change some phrases to be more properly Catholic...but isn't that an opportunity for teaching tool? "Do we call the Eucharist bread after It's been consecrated?" I don't say "Altar Table"..that's incorrect. It's an altar.

I don't like the part about making the altar bread, merely because it doesn't explain that there are only a few ingredients allowed and strict rules. Leaving that open implies that every family makes their own "recipe" -- there isn't even mention of unleavened bread.

It teaches my son about Church and the vestments and vessels that he just wants to hear it over and over. He searches for the baptismal font in every church now. While he made the sign of the cross, it was a bit of struggle. It was this book that made him sign it perfectly and reverently. I love to hear him point out the vestments and sacred vessels and have such love and joy. It's not all from this book, but it has so reinforced and expanded his love.

As for the other book I own, Mother Teresa by Demi. Am I missing something?

Not sure of the third title, I Sing A Song of the Saints of God. I think Morehouse Publishing is Anglican based.

What are your thoughts on these titles? If you find things that aren't exactly the way you want them written, do you toss the whole book? Or how do you incorporate them? Would you tell others to have a heads' up in reading the book?

I know The Holy Twins is written by Kathleen Norris whose adult titles have quite a liberal bent. But this book, illustrated by Tomie de Paola is just a masterpiece. This is the only book of hers I would keep. She manages to capture the Benedictine spirit, tradition and symbolism, making this a rich title to share with the children (and adults).

I'm just trying to seek a clearer picture of how others look at the books included in Catholic Mosaic.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

well here's my opinion and I think everyone has different "comfort zones" on this.

It depends on the book.

If I'm using it for religious instruction, then I am extremely tough and really not open to debate. I will not be buying A Peek Into My Church for this reason. Which was really disappointing because I was really excited about it when I ordered it into the bookstore. Yes, I could tweak and so forth, but that's also a good deal more work. After looking at it at the bookstore, I decided it wasn't worth the effort to correct all the faults. So I'm on the hunt for a similiar type book that is 100% Catholic.

Holy Twins, would be okay with me. The book itself is great, and I can't read everything every author (Catholic or otherwise) writes, so I base my decision on the book in front of me. This will also apply to Mother Teresa, which I have yet to look at personally. If the church has beautified her, then that's the last say on that, imho. It is yet to be decided if she is a saint and to canonized, so why borrow an argument there?

I Sing a Song of the Saints of God, I don't know. To me the issue isn't that it's Anglican published, but that not all the saints mentioned are actually saints. I'd rather have a book that lists real saints in the Church.

My general policy, when in doubt - go Catholic.

I'm sure all the books in Catholic Mosaic are beautiful, but everyone has to make these calls no matter what they buy or who they buy it from.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

JennGM wrote:
I'm just trying to seek a clearer picture of how others look at the books included in Catholic Mosaic.

I'm glad you are, Jenn. I've wrestled with this all day long and have been able to 'pinpoint' that criteria that was so elusive as I tried to discern the "Two Maries". And Martha makes an excellent point about having different "comfort zones" within our homes.

I much prefer a clean discussion to that of simply referencing and ditching so I welcome discussion and questions.

Jenn, you asked in another post what my criteria was for Catholic Mosaic. Immediately I began to draw up a # list of points. Then I realized the most important criteria had already been written.

"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." --- St. Paul's Letter to the Phillipians 4:8

This is basically the criteria I went with while putting together Mosaic . If the book "spoke" to me, my children, or the children I read the book to (and even the other parents present in the room), I went with their eagerness and strived to find the "Catholicism" in these books.

I decided on A Peek into my Church immediately after presenting it to our group at co-op last year. The children loved it. The parents loved it. Were some parts mentioned: the "altar table", nuns out of habit, the communion bread? Certainly. It was mentioned and pointed out and, surprisingly, the children had more to say about it than the parents did. And those parents were so appreciative of the discussions, rather than never coming back to Mosaic because of one book, they jumped into the discussion and shared their feelings and their convictions about these matters. It was great for discussion purposes. We all learned something. The children learned that there are nuns who don't dress in habits (and ones who still do ) and I had the Good Shepherd minature altar set-up so we could go over each item and compare it with that in the book. How often do children get to have that opportunity up-close, hands-on? This book served as a vehicle, not the whole road trip.

I have always sought to give parents the benefit of being knowledgeable, intuitive, and discriminating enough to decide for themselves what was appropriate reading material for their children. If I find a book I like I will present it and believe you have enough wisdom to discern whether to read it to your child or not.

If we were to subject every book to censorship over what I thought or what was politically correct, it would leave no input from you the parent to discuss with your child, to partake in the selections, to give and take with your child.

Having said this, let me make a point on the Catholicism of the Mosaic . The title is Catholic Mosaic . It is for Catholic families. Trust me, Protestant families would run if they saw the selections in it. But I make no secret that the books are not all "Catholic". Why? For one there are very few "Catholic" children books out there. We've discussed there here too...most recently in the discussion concerning the "Two Maries" book.

You will see in Mosaic how to take a simple childhood book such as The Giving Tree or Andersen's fairy tale of The Little Match Girl and find a "Catholic" thread in it. Weave that thread. Envelope it. Spin it. Blend it into the mosaic of your Catholic life. You can do this. You love your children. You love your faith. You can do this with any book you share with your children...as long as you discuss it with him/her and as long as it follows the simple criteria mentioned above.

Should we delete Mother Teresa from the list simply because of one questionable line in it? Or, rather, discuss it with your child so that he will become more questioning and discerning over reading material through his life...perhaps so that when he's 18-yr-old and reads the newspaper, he doesn't fall into the trap of believing everything written by the news media.

Remember, I Sing a Song of the Saints of God is a hymn. Do hymns have to be politically (or liturgically) correct too? Okay, perhaps they do. I can see that's debatable. But the point of this little book, the Catholicism in it, the reason it's included in Mosaic is to show how we are all called to be saints. It doesn't matter if you're a doctor, a queen, a shepherdess, a soldier, a Protestant minister or a Catholic priest, or simply a man slain by a wild beast. We are all called to be saints . Mother Angelica would agree with this. The book is to help children invision themselves as saints. None of us are excluded in this calling.

Not everyone might find The Blackbird's Nest as delightful as Margot and I did but if you have a child "with autism, Asperger Syndrome, or another behavioral label such as ADD/ADHD" you will appreciate reading this with your child and seeing that, yes, even these children are called to be saints...like St. Kevin of Ireland.

Some readers might not care for the racial implications found in Sister Anne's Hands . I think the author and illustrator were exceptionally talented in their presentation of this book. It's one of my favorites. It was a favorite with the children in Mosaic. ANd I couldn't help but see Sister Anne's teaching methods had a 'hint' of CM in them.

I don't think we need "warning labels" or disclaimer buttons on all these books, yet the two books I was worried would be questioned "Brother Bartholomew" and "Across a Dark and Wild Sea" so which I took special precaution to add "notes" in the annotation section have not been questioned...thus far.

I foresee us having to add more notes. And so I guess that's the answer and so we shall.

In the Introduction section of Mosaic I have written:

" Are these all Catholic books?

<<< St. Paul's letter>>>

We need to teach our children to have an objective eye and, as the late Pope John paul II showed us so wonderfully well by his example, to see the truths of their faith in the world around them. Let the Holy Spirit guide you in your discussions with your child, praying that the things we dwell upon lead us to heaven. If you have any concerns about one of the books, set aside 15 minutes to review the book before sharing it with your child. "

That is my disclaimer and I hope and trust you will all find something good, true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, gracious, excellent and worthy of praise in Catholic Mosaic and the time spent with your children.

And, since I've droned on long enough already, let me direct you to this little poem I added in the Mosaic to hope that some "good"---no matter how small---might come from each book presented within it:

Go, little book; from this my solitude,
   I cast thee on the waters;---go they ways!
And if, as I believe, thy vein be good,
   The World will find thee, after many days.
Be it with thee according to thy worth:---
Go, little Book! in faith I send thee forth."

--- Robert Southey

I did this project in faith. I honestly have faith that everyone who uses it will find a touch of God's grace---no matter how small---in each book featured. And I have faith in each one of you to find that grace with your children.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Cay Gibson wrote:

If we were to subject every book to censorship over what I thought or what was politically correct, it would leave no input from you the parent to discuss with your child, to partake in the selections, to give and take with your child.

Good! I completely agree with that. I'm very anti-censorship.

Cay Gibson wrote:
It doesn't matter if you're a doctor, a queen, a shepherdess, a soldier, a Protestant minister or a Catholic priest, or simply a man slain by a wild beast. We are all called to be saints . Mother Angelica would agree with this. The book is to help children invision themselves as saints. None of us are excluded in this calling.

Okay. I see that perspective and certainly agree we are all called to be saints. But I am not ready to expalin to my younger children why all of those can be saints - except the protestant minister. My older ones, sure no problem, but in my own home, this would be very confusing to my little ones.

Cay Gibson wrote:
Some readers might not care for the racial implications found in Sister Anne's Hands . I think the author and illustrator were exceptionally talented in their presentation of this book. It's one of my favorites. It was a favorite with the children in Mosaic. ANd I couldn't help but see Sister Anne's teaching methods had a 'hint' of CM in them.

We are doing this book this very week and I found it to be wonderfully done.    Some people want everything to be "rosey" in their children's world. I am not in that catagory. I want to portray an honest worldview to my children. And that's not always pretty. These moments teach them to find beauty in God and in the Church though. I absolutely love the copywork quote and the little Anna's card had me going all sappy.

Cay Gibson wrote:
the two books I was worried would be questioned "Brother Bartholomew" and "Across a Dark and Wild Sea" so which I took special precaution to add "notes" in the annotation section have not been questioned...thus far.

Interestly enough, I've done BOTH those books and we loved them and saw absolutely nothing objectionable in them. In fact, I had to go to those notes to see what you had written in the notes. Saints were not perfect, they came complete with flaws and faults and struggles and crosses of their own to bear. That's WHY they are so easy for us simple humans to identify with and it's so important we learn from them - they were human too!

Just goes to show you can't please everyone.

Cay Gibson wrote:
If you have any concerns about one of the books, set aside 15 minutes to review the book before sharing it with your child. "

That is my disclaimer and I hope and trust you will all find something good, true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, gracious, excellent and worthy of praise in Catholic Mosaic and the time spent with your children.

I did this project in faith. I honestly have faith that everyone who uses it will find a touch of God's grace

Cay, I just want you to know that I DO enjoy my Catholic Mosaic and feel it is Catholic and well worth having. I did see the reasons why some books were in there that I may not use for some reason. My reasonings were never intended of as a critique of your faith, you personally, or even of Catholic Mosaic really - they were simply my personal reasonings for our family at this time on those particuliar books.

God bless and thank you for making the Catholic Mosaic!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Wonderful response, Cay, and Martha. The disclaimer is perfect...everyone just needs to reread it.

Hope you don't think I'm being negative about the book. I pray that people don't eschew your whole Catholic Mosaic because some of the titles aren't a perfect fit. You didn't write the picture books. You did a service to weed through many books to find a few that carried gold nuggets of Faith to teach that faith to our children in a beautiful, loving way.

Is it open and shut that everyone will like them? No. We all have different tastes. That is so apparent in just these boards. Not one family is teaching their children the same way as another, and even in one family each child is getting a different approach according to temperament and learning styles.

Our Faith teaches truths we must believe in, but learning and loving them can develop in different approaches. I'm always on the lookout for titles that convey religious method, or teach about Catholic truths or saints for children and the liturgical year, but Cay made my job a whole lot easier by doing much of the footwork. But she didn't do all the work. We're the teachers -- it's our job to sift, tweak, relate and discuss it with our children. We have to find our own 'comfort zones'.

All your work was for the Honor and Glory of God, and with much prayer, Cay. It's wonderful, beautiful, and we are so blessed. Thank you again.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2006 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Jenn -- thanks for bringing up this discussion and Cay thanks (again ) for having done Mosaic in the first place.

I don't really see a problem with Peek into my Church -- probably because it shows the churches and people that many kids will see -- we don't all have old, beautiful churches to visit or nuns who always wear habits.

About the question of bringing the communion bread, there is a great article on New Advent's site about altar breads which explains what makes bread valid for consecration -- it doesn't mention that you can't bring bread from home, just that it MUST be done with specific ingredients, in a timely manner and with reference for what this bread will become. I think this is a great teachable moment for kids when listening to this book.

Mosaic, like many of the homeschooling tools available to us today, is meant to be tweaked by the owner -- tweaked to fit each of our own situations and needs at the time of use. I'd never use a resource wihtout first reading it and tweaking it as necessary -- that's the way I teach. The great thing about Mosaic is that I don't see the need yet to tweak too much

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 22 2006 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G wrote:
I don't really see a problem with Peek into my Church -- probably because it shows the churches and people that many kids will see -- we don't all have old, beautiful churches to visit or nuns who always wear habits.

I agree. We aren't surrounded by European cathedrals. I think the majority of Americans got to Mass in more modern surroundings in Church.

Mary G wrote:
About the question of bringing the communion bread, there is a great article on New Advent's site about altar breads which explains what makes bread valid for consecration -- it doesn't mention that you can't bring bread from home, just that it MUST be done with specific ingredients, in a timely manner and with reference for what this bread will become. I think this is a great teachable moment for kids when listening to this book.

Yes, it's not wrong to bring the bread from home, and I hope it didn't sound like THAT was my objection. My objection was the open-endedness of that subject. Not mentioning what makes the bread valid leaves a lot to the imagination. But it is a teachable moment. I make unleavened bread for our Holy Thursday meal every year, so can easily tie into our discussion of this section.

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2006 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

JennGM wrote:
)
I've own two of the books. We read from A Peek Into My Church by Wendy Goody and Veronica Kelly. I've mentioned before that I don't like everything about it, but it's not unorthodox or undermines Catholic Teaching. I do change some phrases to be more properly Catholic...but isn't that an opportunity for teaching tool? "Do we call the Eucharist bread after It's been consecrated?" I don't say "Altar Table"..that's incorrect. It's an altar.

I don't like the part about making the altar bread, merely because it doesn't explain that there are only a few ingredients allowed and strict rules. Leaving that open implies that every family makes their own "recipe" -- there isn't even mention of unleavened bread.

It teaches my son about Church and the vestments and vessels that he just wants to hear it over and over. He searches for the baptismal font in every church now. While he made the sign of the cross, it was a bit of struggle. It was this book that made him sign it perfectly and reverently. I love to hear him point out the vestments and sacred vessels and have such love and joy. It's not all from this book, but it has so reinforced and expanded his love.

My Leah (9) and I just read this book last night. It was interesting to hear her voice her criticisms: her main one was the map of the church and why the tabernacle was set off in a chapel. And she said that she didn't like how they explained what Holy Communion was. Those weren't my favorite parts of the book either, but I was actually happy to hear her understanding of the importance of the Holy Eucharist. And we both loved the back of the book with all the definitions!
Overall, I think it was a good book.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 22 2006 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momtomany wrote:
My Leah (9) and I just read this book last night. It was interesting to hear her voice her criticisms: her main one was the map of the church and why the tabernacle was set off in a chapel. And she said that she didn't like how they explained what Holy Communion was. Those weren't my favorite parts of the book either, but I was actually happy to hear her understanding of the importance of the Holy Eucharist. And we both loved the back of the book with all the definitions!
Overall, I think it was a good book.

We love the picture dictionary. Our favorite parts of the book are the Catholic pictionary, the page with the names of the vestments, and the baptismal font pages. Those are my favorites, and my son's. My sister suggests photocopying just those pages to use in other discussions. Would that be okay if it's within our family use?

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I don't have much time to comment now (should be feeding my littles!), but I wanted to comment before I forget again that I bought I Sing a Song of the Saints of God before previewing it. I stuck it on the shelf and didn't crack it open until Jenn posted. Yes, it includes a Protestant minister who left the Catholic Church. No, I don't think that this is a good inclusion and don't know what I would have done if I'd known this before buying the book. What I'm going to do now is pick a Catholic priest who is a Saint and cover John Donne's name (in the picture book portion) and bio (in the back) with information on the Catholic-priest-Saint of my choice. I wanted to share my solution in case anyone else wants to do the same.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

cathhomeschool wrote:
What I'm going to do now is pick a Catholic priest who is a Saint and cover John Donne's name (in the picture book portion) and bio (in the back) with information on the Catholic-priest-Saint of my choice. I wanted to share my solution in case anyone else wants to do the same.

Wonderful "solution"! Thanks for sharing.
Another reader mentioned that she whited-out John Donne's name as well. I think your idea of replacing it with a Catholic-priest-saint is terrific and worth sharing in new reprints of the book.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Kristi
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 30 2006 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote Kristi

Thanks for the idea Janette! I, too, bought the book and hadn't looked at it until this evening after reading the posts. I just finished doctoring my copy.

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 02 2006 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Cay and all,
I just saw this book featured in our Catholic paper - An Alphabet of Catholic Saints. It looks like a sweet book and perhaps could be used in place of/in addition to the non-Catholic I Sing a Song title.
https://secure.cnchost.com/catholicartworks.com/an_alphabet_ of_catholic_saints_book.htm

Sorry you have to cut and paste - I couldn't figure out how to add the hyperlink correctly. I'm a genuine newbie!

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 03 2006 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

Here are a few others that could be used in place/in addition to of I Sing a Song of the Saints of God:

Saints and Angels by Claire Llewellyn (Kingfisher)

In God's Garden by Amy Steedman (I saw it at Barnes and Noble in paperbackpublished by Yesterday's Classics.

Once Upon a Time Saints and More Once Upon a Time Saints by Edith Pochocki (Bethlehem Books)

Saints:Lives and Illuminations by Ruth Sanderson

Saints Among the Animals by Cynthia Zarin (Simon and Shuster)

Draw and Tell Saints by Julie A Petras (Our Sunday Visitoy). This one is really different - not a beautiful picture book but instructions for drawing a picture as you tell the saint story. . . interesting.

Margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 03 2006 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Mrs.K wrote:
Cay and all,
I just saw this book featured in our Catholic paper - An Alphabet of Catholic Saints. It looks like a sweet book and perhaps could be used in place of/in addition to the non-Catholic I Sing a Song title.
https://secure.cnchost.com/catholicartworks.com/an_alphabet_ of_catholic_saints_book.htm

Sorry you have to cut and paste - I couldn't figure out how to add the hyperlink correctly. I'm a genuine newbie!

Don't worry, we've all been there!

Here's the link

and it's also availabe here, at Emmanuel books

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 05 2006 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jen L. wrote:
Mrs.K wrote:
Cay and all,

Don't worry, we've all been there!

Here's the link

and it's also availabe here, at Emmanuel books

I saw this display at the IHM Conference and thought it was just beautiful. I don't think they had the book, though. Thanks for posting this!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote Erin

JennGM wrote:

I've own two of the books. We read A Peek Into My Church by Wendy Goody and Veronica Kelly. I've mentioned before that I don't like everything about it, but it's not unorthodox or undermines Catholic Teaching. I do change some phrases to be more properly Catholic...but isn't that an opportunity for teaching tool? "Do we call the Eucharist bread after It's been consecrated?" I don't say "Altar Table"..that's incorrect. It's an altar.

Well I have just purchased Peek into my church and whilst some things are disappointing/grate I would have to say some parts are fantastic and I haven't had the opportunity to see that information in a picture book before.

Now I was annoyed with the parts I didn't like that I drew a line thru them. The dc can still read the text but know it isn't correct. Which has led to discussion. What exactly is the Church's teaching on the making of hosts?

BTW my ds9 was most indignant that there was no tabernacle in the sanctuary and he studied the diagram of the church and was NOT happy I told him we could take a pic of the beautiful altar at our church and shrink and paste it in. Maybe it will work.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2007 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin wrote:
Well I have just purchased Peek into my church and whilst some things are disappointing/grate I would have to say some parts are fantastic and I haven't had the opportunity to see that information in a picture book before.

Now I was annoyed with the parts I didn't like that I drew a line thru them. The dc can still read the text but know it isn't correct. Which has led to discussion. What exactly is the Church's teaching on the making of hosts?

BTW my ds9 was most indignant that there was no tabernacle in the sanctuary and he studied the diagram of the church and was NOT happy I told him we could take a pic of the beautiful altar at our church and shrink and paste it in. Maybe it will work.

That diagram is annoying to me, also. And in the preceding pages she walks into her church and it doesn't look like that diagram. Perhaps the majority of churches across America look like that? Why couldn't it have been a traditional shape? That's a good idea pasting your own diagram. The text mentions making your own map of your church...

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2007 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I might be repeating myself.

I used "Peek" because my Mosaic class it and the parents loved it. So I knew it would work for young ones.

And even that disheartening diagram is teaching our children something. It's making them more observant of their own church's lay-out.

I'm sure we would all welcome a more traditional book but, even here in traditional SW LA, all the Catholic churches are fan shaped except for our church and the cathedral. I've been in a few churches that have the altar in the middle, but most still have it in front of the pews.

My 9-yr-old spent the past two days making map diagrams of an amusement park on the computer. Children seem to love room layouts and maps.

Erin, you have a wonderful idea. While mapping out the church, have your child take pictures of the altar, the baptismal font, the confessional room, etc.; shrink them on the computer, print out and paste on the map in the appropriate places.

You child will know his church better than some adults.

mom to 5

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2007 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Erin wrote:
   What exactly is the Church's teaching on the making of hosts?

Cay
Please don't think I had a problem with the choice of the book, as I stated I have never actually seen a book like this I was 90% thrilledwith it.

But I do want to know the answer to the above question can you help?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version