Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Feast of St Helena - 18 August Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 17 2006 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Tomorrow is the feast of St Helena, Constantine's mother who found the True Cross, here is a link to the Medieval book, The Golden Legend about the whole history of the true cross going way back to Adam and Seth, here.

This is a facinating story and would be good to do written narration from a part of it, for an older child.

I love these beautiful stories, this is the reason for the Crucifixion pictures (especially in Stations of the Cross) depicting the skull and bones at the foot of the cross or at the foot of Calvary, they are Adam's bones!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 17 2006 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I love St. Helen. I remember reading (and rereading) in my early tweens Noble Lady, one of the Encounter Books by the Daughters of St. Paul and that left a very lasting impression.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2006 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Thank you so much! I love to learn more about the saints. I didn't realize this was her feast day. I don't have that on my church calendar.

Marybeth

Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

St Helena's western church feast is the 18 August (something different with the East) but is one that must not be 'on the calendar'.

We tend to celebrate any saint we love even if they not made it onto the calendar - when I look at my calendar, they often have no saint mentioned for a particular day - I wonder why this is so?

I have a "2006 Illustrated Saints Calendar and Daily Planner from TAN that lists a great majority of saints and their feasts, marking whether they are HISTORICAL, TRADITIONAL or NEW - St Helena is marked down as TRADITIONAL/Some Places (which I think has to do with the EAST/WEST thing)

So it would seem she is still celebrated on the old calendar, her feast was not moved to another day when the new calendar came in, but she must have lost calendar acknowledgement.

She is the patroness of converts and difficult marriages.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2006 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

There are two children's books telling the story of the Cross and / or St.Helena which I have been hoping to find at a reasonable price (no luck yet )

The True Cross by Brian Wildsmith - a picture book telling the story of the True Cross (which I guess is based on the Golden Legend version). I saw it once in a used bookshop but the price was beyond me. I have been coveting it ever since.

St.Helena and the True Cross by Louis de Wohl - one of the Vision books series, but out of print

St.Helena is my eldest daughter's patron saint and one of mine - we both have Helen as a middle name - so I would particularly love to get these. Maybe one day!

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version