Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Anyone use or own P.A.C.E.? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Can anyone tell me what the Program for Achieving Character Education from the Emmanuel catalog is like? What sorts of books does it suggest? What ages is it suitable for? Is it helpful? Do you like it - why or why not? Thank you for any insights.
Blessings,
Mrs.k
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

We have the older version (2002,) and I know the new one has been "Catholicized?" a bit (adding in Saints and Blessed Virgin.) I don't know if the lessons have been changed to include the actual virtues recognized by the Church.
Here are the virtues covered in my edition:
Self-discipline
Work
Perseverence
Faith/Trust
Compassion
Friendship
Courage
Loyalty
Responsibility
Honesty

Each lesson includes quotations, definitions, recommended readings from The Book of Virtues, The Moral Compass, and other books (I have had luck finding these at my library,) recommended Bible stories, recommended chapter books, and discussion questions/ideas, writing suggestions, and activities for art, music, nature, and class projects.

I have found it helpful.

Not sure how much $$ it is now?

Hope this helps!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
dh Frank 21 yrs., and 6dss 18, 15, 11, 8, 4, and 2
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

I have just received the 2006 version and have not had time to adequately review it but it looks great at a glance. The virtues are the same ones listed above. For each one, it includes quotations [would make great copywork], definitions with synonyms and antonyms, recommended readings from The Book of Virtues and The Moral Compass [suggestions are offered for each level from K up to 6th grade], recommended Bible stories, prayer or meditation on Mary reflecting the virtue, list of saints exhibiting the virtue, Catholic quote about virtue, recommended chapter books [separate listings for each grade], discussion questions/ideas which often reflect on saints or latin sayings or Catholic symbols etc, writing and research suggestions about saints/Bible stories of the virtues, and activities for art, music, nature, and class projects. Each chapter ends with a list entitled "How to practice this virtue". The back of the book has prayers such as Magnificat, The Angelus, Hail Holy Queen, Sub Tuum Praesdium.
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I have to add, after looking at my post , that if you are looking for something to help with the virtues as listed in, say, The Baltimore Catechism, or the official Catholic Catechism, the definitons don't match up, as PACE gives a dictionary definition, and the Catechism is definitely more God-focused.

For example, Faith:

from PACE: " (noun) confidence or trust in a person, idea or thing; belief in a divine being; a promise or pledge of loyalty.
Adjective- faithful"

from The New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism:
"Faith is the virtue by which we firmly believe on the word of God all the truths He has revealed."

Again, I don't know how much the PACE program has been Catholicized. My interest was piqued in all this with the thread on the fruits of the Holy Spirit. I did pull out the PACE book for some ideas, but not all of it matches up to the "Catholic" version of virtue. So, I have a little more work to do.

I sure hope I haven't confused matters!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 17 2006 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Thank you ladies for your help - that does explain it a lot better. I didn't realize it wasn't intrinsically Catholic to start - and I'm very glad I didn't purchase the older version when I saw it on cathswap. I was also looking for something we could all do together, but I don't know how that would work out with different reading suggested for different ages. Hmm...
Thanks again!
Mrs.K
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version