Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Motherhood 101 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Diane
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Diane

Tip #9876

If you are foolish enough to let your 2- and 4-yo play with a glass jar of money on your bed, which sits on a tile floor...

and then lucky enough to have your 4yo come to you to apologize for breaking a large chip out of the jar...

do not be foolish enough to set the jar up on your dresser where your 2yo can reach it.

You will probably not be so lucky the second time around.

Glass jars that fall onto tile floors do not result in just one large chip. Don't ask me how I know.

The Journey of a Mother's Heart
Back to Top View Diane's Profile Search for other posts by Diane Visit Diane's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Oh, this could be a really great topic! We could all share our hard-learned lessons and then share them with some poor, unsuspecting first-time mother. I know I could write a book.

Of course, to be fair, we should also share the "sweet stories" thread with her, too, so she will see that as scary as it can be, it is SO worth it!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Same goes for jelly jars on kitchen counters. I'm just sayin'...

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Yikes Diane!   

My two yo. (then) did the same thing with a full glass bottle of cod liver oil last year. The floor (ceramic tile with grout) was an oily mess of glass shards and cod liver oil!

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Another good tip is to make sure the bathroom is gated off or the toddler is supervised while older dc are bathing.

I'm sure you're all wondering why I would suggest this.   

Yesterday evening, I was (trying) to multi-task--helping Mary Beth dry the dinner dishes, starting Anna's bath, and getting Lucia ready for bed. Lucia was cranky, so I put her in bed then walked off to go back to the rest of my chores. I walked into the bathroom a few minutes later to find a cloth-diapered toddler in the bath with my 4yo. Cloth diapers absorb quite a lot of water.   

Dawn

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Kristin

That is hilarious!    Thanks for sharing!!!

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Do not tell your children they can go measure out the flour for the cookie recipe when there is a fan running on the counter.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Don't leave baby powder and diaper balm within reach of an usupervised toddler who has a very wide "creative" streak. Ever.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Elizabeth wrote:
Don't leave baby powder and diaper balm within reach of an usupervised toddler who has a very wide "creative" streak. Ever.

Desitin painted all over a bedroom carpet is not a good thing. It resists ordinary removal techniques. Don't ask me how I know this.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

An open jar of Aquaphor and books and a toddler nearby are not a good combination. Actually, it's a rather LINGERING combination.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

These are all so funny!

Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

Don't use glitter in a room with a ceiling fan.   

Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

Christine wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

Desitin painted all over a bedroom carpet is not a good thing. It resists ordinary removal techniques. Don't ask me how I know this.

Especially after said child has read a book about making "footprints in the snow." I'll let you figure the rest out.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Sarah in SC wrote:
Don't use glitter in a room with a ceiling fan.   

Wow, that's intriguing!

Don't buy your dream home with pristine, white walls while you still have toddlers. If you do, don't bring ANY writing utensils with you!

Then there are the large handprints (and footprint?!) higher than Mom can reach. Wonder who did that?

So which is worse the two year old or fifteen year old?

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Elizabeth wrote:

And don't leave a tube of Desitin within reach, even by itself. Did you know that 5 complete shampoos including one with a bar of Ivory soap *still* doesn't remove all the Desitin in a 2 yr old girl's long blonde hair???    

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bookswithtea wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

And don't leave a tube of Desitin within reach, even by itself. Did you know that 5 complete shampoos including one with a bar of Ivory soap *still* doesn't remove all the Desitin in a 2 yr old girl's long blonde hair???    

It's neat when it squirts out, isn't it?

I hope there is no next time, but IF there is, use Dawn dishwashing liquid to cut it. I remember years ago I was at the beauty parlor and some dear old lady decided her scalp was too dry and she put Vaseline on it. The beatician used Dawn to remove it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

If you send your daughter to her room for misbehaving, be sure there are no crayons around. If crayons are around, artwork will be all over her bedroom walls. There is a benefit to not checking for crayons: You and your daughter will spend a lot of quality time together with toothbrushes and diluted hand dish detergent.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Do not, on Easter Sunday morning, ten minutes before you leave for Mass, set a black Sharpie marker on the desk where your two year old, dressed in pink taffeta with her hair styled and Easter bonnet on, is standing nearby.

Do not turn your back for five minutes in hopes of getting yourself ready in a nearby room. When she walks downstairs in said outfit and black sharpie "makeup", do not scream in horror.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rebecca wrote:
Do not, on Easter Sunday morning, ten minutes before you leave for Mass, set a black Sharpie marker on the desk where your two year old, dressed in pink taffeta with her hair styled and Easter bonnet on, is standing nearby.

Do not turn your back for five minutes in hopes of getting yourself ready in a nearby room. When she walks downstairs in said outfit and black sharpie "makeup", do not scream in horror.

Rebecca, you've mentioned that elsewhere and I keep meaning to ask you...WHAT DID YOU DO???

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

JennGM wrote:
Rebecca, you've mentioned that elsewhere and I keep meaning to ask you...WHAT DID YOU DO???

Well, I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I and I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I scrubbed and I scrubbed.

Then, I laughed and scrubbed some more!

We lightened her up quite a bit in a few minutes. Sharpies are not really as bad as you would think. The marks got pretty faded by only using baby wipes. There were some residual black streaks that would not go away.

Did I mention that after Mass that Easter Sunday we boarded a plane to San Juan (with Mary Kathryn covered in Sharpie) for a week long cruise with 40 people in my husband's family? So not only did we have to go to Mass that way but we also had to fly and board a cruise ship looking with MK looking like a piece of walking modern art!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version