Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Notebooking Tip - Images Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 09 2006 at 5:34am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Have you ever spent hours searching the net trying to find pictures for the current unit topic?

I have found a shortcut No longer will I spend frustrating hours typing in 'topic + pictures' in my google search to only never find any decent pictures. Now I was hesitant to admit to anyone my find as I thought it was probably something that everyone else has been doing all along and I was just 'not in the know'. But I have had four friends walk through my doors in the last couple of days and have shown them and they have been SO excited. Off home they have gone inspired to give notebooking another go

The tip? Go to google home, type in your topic ie. 'Australian outback' then above the box click on 'images' and you instantly have images of the outback

While I'm typing I'll add another tip Be organised. The night before have all pictures printed and ready, have all equipment needed ready and easy to access. ie. scissors, glue, pens, ribbon/lace etc. This may sound really basic to some more experienced mums, but for me it has only been this week that I have found that it really pays off to be set up properly. What can I say I'm a slow implementer

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2006 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Thanks for the search tip, Erin...I didn't know that, either!

I've been re-organizing my school room this summer and also recently came to the realization that I need to have easy access to notebooking supplies in order for notebooking to happen. If the stuff I need is in a different room, or spread out all over the house, well, it just doesn't happen.   

Dawn

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 09 2006 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

This is just great! Thanks for the tip.

I, too, am trying to organize shelves and such this summer.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 10 2006 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

great tip!

So now I have another question; can anyone share a good starter list of notebook/lapbook supplies?

I am facinated with this, but pretty overwhelmed too. TIA!

Tracy
DH Lee
DS Jake 7
DS Ryan 6
DS Luke 4
DD Laine 4
DD Mary Clare 1
my blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 11 2006 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote Erin

onemoretracy wrote:
So now I have another question; can anyone share a good starter list of notebook/lapbook supplies?

Tracy,

Obviously scissors, but make sure you have plenty at least one per child. It really slows down the process when children are waiting for the scissors.

Crinkle cut scissors are also a lovely assest and today I bought these little craft scissors for tiny work. I was able to buy each of these items for approx. $2 each, I'd imagine you would have similar prices in $2 shops there.

Glue is also a must and glue sticks also help little fingers.

Paper plays a big part in making something ordianry look spectacular. I've purchased ordinary coloured paper in bulk at my $2 shop. Also at Big W (perhaps Walmart is similar, although I've heard much, much biger) I've bought 100 sheets of scrapbook paper for $9AUS. You can get ones with plain backgrounds or packs with different designs. These look fantastic. They are not A4 size but I just cut them down and then we use the scrap strips also in our creativity. A quick way of cutting them down to size is to buy a mat for about $5 from the cheap shop and a cutting knife.

A nice fine felt-tip marker is also an assest for headings and notes. And I like to have a set of metallic markers and a ruler. We use these to edge around pictures to create a terrific finish.

Punches, stamps and stamp pads also are wonderful to have. With these I just add a little at a time so as not to feel the cost too much. But these are extras.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2006 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Erin, I'd love to see some pictures of your notebooks. They sound lovely and I am always in need of inspiration here! Any way you could share them?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 11 2006 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

Thanks Erin, I have all of that. I do just need to gather it all together.

Another question, should I designate certain items to be used only for notebooking/lapbooking?

TIA!
Tracy
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2006 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

In what way is notebooking different from lapbooking (talk about not being in the know )?

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 12 2006 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Victoria, I think it's very similar, just done in a notebook. You might not be using all the different folds and shape books, etc., although I'm sure you could if you wanted to.

I'm using WinterPromise curriculum, and it comes with notebooking pages to get you started. You might try looking at samples on their website to get an idea of what notebooking looks like, or google search "homeschool+notebooking." If you don't mind a Protestant site, I think it's Cindy Rushton who is "the Binder Queen" and has lots of stuff on her site.

Jenny (Maine)

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 12 2006 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Oh, Victoria, you could also go to the Apologia Educational Ministries website and look at their elementary science books. Each book has a link for Notebooking pages (free) to go along with the text. We're doing the Zoology I this year, and I just ordered Zoology II. They are an awesome example of notebooking!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 12 2006 at 6:19am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Victoria wrote:
In what way is notebooking different from lapbooking (talk about not being in the know )?

Victoria,
If you go to previous discussions hereto start with you will get a clearer picture. also type in notebooking and lapbooking into the search feature up the top of the page to get some other great ideas.

onemoretracy wrote:
should I designate certain items to be used only for notebooking/lapbooking?

Tracy,
The paper certainly should only be for this sort of work, it is not play paper. I thought of other items also for you basic kit Scraps of lace and ribbon can really add beauty to a page. And a tip for keeping the cost down is to visit your local printers and see if they have paper and cardboard offcuts to give away. Ours does.

lapazfarm wrote:
I'd love to see some pictures of your notebooks. They sound lovely and I am always in need of inspiration here! Any way you could share them?

Theresa,

I'm more than happy to show our notebooks but I have to warn you they are nothing as wonderful as yours Your pirate one was incredible. I have a digital camera so I can pm you the photos, or I could post here if we can. Can we?

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 13 2006 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Along the lines of supplies, I'd also like to add Card Stock. For some projects its so nice to have something study as the base.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Erin wrote:
The tip? Go to google home, type in your topic ie. 'Australian outback' then above the box click on 'images' and you instantly have images of the outback

I have been using the Image feature at Google for some time now, but this summer, with a 4.5 and 6.5 yo at home bored a few times, I found a new way to use this. type in the subject and the words coloring page (still use the image feature) and you'll get sites with coloring pages of just about anything you can imagine! I've used it for animal pages, cars, ballerinas, princesses, etc. This morning dd asked for a birthday cake to color and 10 sec later I had one!
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

JennyMaine wrote:
Oh, Victoria, you could also go to the Apologia Educational Ministries website and look at their elementary science books. Each book has a link for Notebooking pages (free) to go along with the text. We're doing the Zoology I this year, and I just ordered Zoology II. They are an awesome example of notebooking!

I have done this with my dc...she has a newsletter...in that newsletter she explained how to make your own notebooking pages....let me see if I can find more info....

Be Good!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2006 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

This is the best notebooking website I've ever seen on the subject. It talks about supplies, and also talks about the google.com IMAGES feature too. There are also sample pages there too (look on the lefthand side of the page).

Homeschooling with Notebooks

Here are some other great notebooking websites, some that have resources for notebooking that should help you too:

Scrapbooking to Learn(there is a ton here)

Notebooking Overview

Fueling the Fire with Notebooks

Highland Heritage Notebooking

Notebooking Forms

Notebooking Pages

Let's Try Lapbooking

A Notebook Shopping List

I hope these help you with your notebooking venture!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2006 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

WOW. Tracy thanks so much for putting all these links in one spot!! They are great! We really enjoy notebooking,lapbooking, scrpping etc and these will be a nice addition to the other sites I've checked out!

Blessings!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2006 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Just wanted to mention that with the google images we use them to put the pictures of the saints up as background on the computer to coordinate with the liturgical year.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2006 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

You're welcome, Meredith! I love researching online, so it's a fun thing for me to do. If you notice, a lot of my helping people online is leading them to other helps online.

It's a fun hobby for me, and I find some really great stuff out there!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 23 2006 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Tracy

I've finally had a chance to look at all the sites Thank you so much a great inspiration and lots of info.

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2006 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

Has anyone used the pre-printed forms from Hold That Thought?

I decided since we have never notebooked before the forms might help us get started. My kids don't really like to draw (it takes too long ).

If you have used any of them do you like them? Do you use the history versions, the Bible history versions, both, others? Are they helpful or do you not bother to actually print them? Do the children like them? Do they like them more than just writing on plain lined paper?

Should I post this as a new topic? So many questions!

Thank you for your input.

Blessings,
Krisann

DGC Kira, Auston, Travis, & Sarah.
My Blog: Isla del Esperanza
Back to Top View shartlesville's Profile Search for other posts by shartlesville Visit shartlesville's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version