Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Do you notebook or lapbook? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Or both?? Last year I guided ds to do 2 lovely science lapbooks. They are beautiful. However, I am now thinking that notebooking suits my style better....lapbooking was a little too labor intensive for me, and I felt like I had to have the end product in mind before I started, in order to make all our little books and artifacts fit on the flaps. I seemed a little too focused on figuring out what would fit and fill the flaps, rather than just producing whatever work seemed natural for our unit.

Notebooking seems more open-ended and versatile. I've been looking over Cindy Rushton's stuff. However, I'm not sure what to do with over-sized items that don't fit into page protectors. Just curious how others use notebooks and/or labbooks?
Thanks!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I started asking the children.
My 8 yr old and I have (at long last) begun her American Girl's notebook. We have a freezer bag of "stuff" already cut-out.

I asked if she wanted to lapbook or notebook. She said notebook.

One benefit of notebooking is you can put a lot more in it. I'll probably lapbook a few FIAR books with Annie because, at her age, she's too young to know which she wants and we won't do nearly the magnitute of "stuff" her sister will do.

My 13 yr old ds will do a science notebook. Same reason...it houses more.

When my oldest dd was about 11, she did a LOTR lapbook though and it turned out quite nice.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We do notebooks. I like them for all the reasons Cay stated, but also because we can also do all the nifty fold-out things like a lapbook in them. (You just don't put those pages in protectors). So ours are a bit of a combination notebook and lapbook.
I have some photos of our notebooks at my blog.
Christmas notebook pictures
Dragon notebook pictures
Fairy notebook pictures
Pirate notebook pictures
I really like the flexibility that this allows because every notebook ends up being different according to what we end up having produced to put in them. This eliminates the concern you had about the pre-planning of a lapbook. None of ours are planned in advance, they just sort of evolve along with the unit.
Hope that helps.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 04 2006 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Cay Gibson wrote:
I started asking the children.   

Now there's a great idea! I think ds will love notebooking. Yesterday, we went through his file box of kindergarten work and put everything into page protectors and then notebooks. He LOVED seeing all his old stuff all bound together in the binders. Then, he made cover sheets for the outside of the binders...one for math/science, complete with a drawing of him doing math problems and a drawing of the solar system, and for language arts, a drawing a him reading and writing. So cute!

Dd, age 3, started her binder with cover art of a princess and a fairgodmother riding bicycles (?!*?) She's my imaginative one!

I gave ds a new, empty binder, full of empty page protectors. He's quite excited to start filling it up.

Theresa, I so enjoyed looking at your beautiful notebooks. They are inspiring. Thank!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 04 2006 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Shawna,

We've only ever notebooked. I've considered lapbooking but as you experienced it takes a bit of organising and that is not really me.

Hereis a thread on lapbooking,notebooking. If you look in 'search' there have been some good threads on notebooking with some great resources mentioned.

For those experienced in notebooking, how often would you work on them and for how long?

Thanks, Shawna for bringing this up, you've got me inspired again

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 2:15am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

My little kids have loved the lapbooking-they really love the little flaps and fold out books and such. However, as Chief Lapbooking Organizer, I have found that lapbooking works best on smaller, discrete projects such as labbooking a book (we did a lapbook on New York City and "Cricket in Times Square" which worked out great) Our more expansive topics, like the Rainforest, were a HUGE success, but also a HUGE amount of work and our poor lapbooks are bulging beyond belief and I fear for their durability. Smaller lapbooks on, say, a miniunit we did on dinosaurs faired much better. My older daughter is currently caught up in making a lapbook on Phantom of the Opera---also perfect for a lapbook.

My older children generally tend to prefer notebooks. I agree with Cay and others on the advantages. You can certainly incorporate lapbook techniques into a notebook, less the page protector, as Theresa pointed out. Another thing we've done for larger, bulkier projects is to take pictures of the project and put THAT in the notebook, rather than the whole project. This also works well with bulky art projects that take up lots of room but that you can't bear to part with...

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 21 2006 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I wrote a chapter on this very subject in Cay's first book, Literature Alive!. The chapter title was Notebooking vs. Lapbooking, or was it Lapbooking vs. Notebooking?       

At any rate, everyone already explained what the gist of my chapter was..... that they're both equally wonderful and useful, and it's really a preference as to one over another.

BUT, that sometimes lapbooks lend themselves better (as Kelly said) to smaller projects that will have more of an end to them.

Notebooks oftentimes are used when a project or subject is more ongoing, and/or will have more extensive material in it.

I love them both, and it's sometimes hard to decide. This year, we're doing The Prairie Primer. Do I do 9 lapbooks, one for each book we study? Or do we do a giant Prairie Primer notebook, divided with nine dividers, one for each book, then all of the *general activities* in the back?

OR, do I do a notebook for each seperate subject, and just add to it every year? It's a DILEMMA!       

SEE? I WROTE the chapter for the book, and I STILL CAN'T DECIDE!!!!!         

I have learned however that I write well, but making decisions is not my thing!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Just looking through old posts and saw this one.

Theresa, I can't view your links to all your notebooks. Did you take them off your blog? I'd love to see them.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Yes, me too. And I have a question -- what specifically do you use for a notebook? A 3-ring binder? Help!!!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

We do both lapbooks notebooks and throw some scrapbooking in for special projects, like our new Mary Scrapbook

My dd LOVES all kinds of NB, Lapbooking and Scrapbooking, my second ds was a bit overwhelmed with lapbooking, it's not really his style and too fussy for him.

Now my third ds really enjoys helping me with his lapbooks, but he also has a giant PRE-K NB that he just loves as well!!

Another example of Notebooking is my ds's First Communion Notebook This was a year long project and quite detailed, but it's just an example.

Oh and Paula, we just use 3-ring binders "presentation" style so the kids can put they own covers in the front and back to personalize them!! We've used 1/2-inch, 1-inch and 2-inch so far!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote Donna

Meredith...they are awesome!!!

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Meredith that First Communion Notebook is a definite keeper! WOW!!!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Theresa in MN wrote:
Just looking through old posts and saw this one.

Theresa, I can't view your links to all your notebooks. Did you take them off your blog? I'd love to see them.

It looks like I have moved things around a bit on my blog since that thread. Anyway, here is a link that will take you to a page for all of our notebook pictures.
Notebook photos
(There is also a tab on the top of my home page that will take you there.)

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

1floridamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote 1floridamom

There is a great site that sells project packs for making lapbooks for those of us who are either new to them or need a little push for putting them together. Hands of a Child

I've also been asking around about electronic notebooking using scrapbook software. An online resource that had been passed along was ScrapbookMax. They offer a free trial that might be nice to see what you can do with it. I understand that as a trial-version it doesn't let you practice with all of the capabilities of the full-version.

enjoythejourney
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote enjoythejourney

At what ages/grades did you start doing more lapbooking and notebooking? I have a 1st grader and 2 preschoolers. We really should be doing more in this area, but I am at a loss as to where to start???

Any good ideas?

Cleo (7)
Marcy-Marie (4)
Reece (3)
http://justenjoythejourney.blogspot.com
Back to Top View enjoythejourney's Profile Search for other posts by enjoythejourney

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

You can definately start lapbooking/notebooking with the oldest and maybe include the youngers in on a few simple lapbooks, but keep in mind that YOU will be doing the bulk of the work in "putting it together", which is fine unless it's too laborious for you. Try one and see how it goes and then you can gauge from there...

HTH!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Hi Lindsey,

I have also been helped by Cindy Rushton's resources. She has a lot of lap booking information on her site. I also bought her book Notebooking! Yes you can be a binder queen too! which now looks like it is part of a bigger notebooking E-book set. Her Notebooking materials really helped be find a vision and get going on notebooking. I still use many lap booking principles, but we generally attach our mini-books to cardstock, 3-hole punch, and put them in our notebooks.

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Oh, and I also started a notebook for my 4 yr old this year. I just filled a binder with empty page protectors and let her fill them with whatever "work" she created. Its bursting, and she cherishes it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version