Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: carpet cleaning Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 31 2006 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

We have four smallish bedrooms while the rest of the house flooring is tile. We usually clean carpets ourselves (rent machine from Home Depot) but...do you all have any other suggestions? How do you clean your carpets?

Thanks,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2006 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

We have a Bissell steam cleaner that dh uses every couple of months, and once a year we have Chem Dry out to do the whole house.

I've used the rental machines before, and I think our Bissell does just as good a job, if not better. It's worth the investment, I think.

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

When our whole house (in TX) was carpet, I had a generous friend who would loan me her Hoover steam cleaner. It was great.    I told dh that if we bought a house in CT with carpet downstairs, we should buy one because the cost of one day's rental at Home Depot would pay for the purchase. Fortunately, our new house has almost all wood downstairs.
The one room that's not wood has horrible carpet. It's a berber, and it's so dirty. I've used this with great success on regular carpet, but the brushing is too damaging to the berber pile (it makes it fuzzy). This product has not worked out well for us.
My dream house doesn't have any carpet

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2006 at 10:59pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

We usually have ours cleaned by a company about 3 times a year. I wish it was more, because it seems to dirty so quickly. We did have a steam cleaner, but after much use, it broke a few years back. It took a long time to clean the carpets ourselves, but it did do a good job. Now, we rely on the local hardware store for cleaners when we get bad spills.

I have one I am staring at (red gatorade!) on a whitish berber.

I have tried "Capture" after hearing raves about it, but I didn't find it worked that great (unless I did it wrong.) It was also kind of expensive.

I try to encourage shoes off as we come in the house, to minimize the tracking of dirt. I also try to vacuum daily, which I guess is supposed to help!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI with 6 messy dss and one crazy black lab
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 01 2006 at 5:51am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Angie, we have a lot of carpeting in our house and with boys and cats, we need to clean it *a lot*. Dh does it with a Hoover SteamVac. Due to youngest son's sensitivities we don't use shampoo, just hot water, but it gets things really clean.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 02 2006 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

A belated thank you! I saved my pennies and just ordered a Hoover Steam Vac...what does it say about me that I can't WAIT to get it and clean my carpets?!

Here's some more info on steam vacs.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version