Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: How do you study music in your house? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 25 2005 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I found the Beethoven's Wig cds yesterday and we are really enjoying them. They are funny. Thanks again for the rec! Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 25 2005 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Kelly wrote:
Last but not least, an easy way to teach your children to recognize the melody of famous pieces, is to take a musical phrase out of the piece, usually the opening bit, and put a silly sentence to it to help them remember the composer.

We have been doing this naturally for years, though we don't so much include info about the composer (we are saturated by composer info!) as our own silly words. It seems to be something the kids inherited from me...I say inherited rather than learened because Libby, out of all the kids, cannot add lyrics well at all, though she can write and improvise any music in several voices on the spot, on any of five instruments . I guess each has his own gifts!

When Paul was about 5, he marched into his music group singing (to Greig's "Mountain King"):

Santa Claus is coming, coming, coming,
Santa Claus is coming, you'd better lock your doors!
(add syallables where necessary). The accompanist was so tickled that she began to play the theme; Paul almost dropped his violin in his excitement, and yelled, "I love Grieg!!!"

As a learning tool for other subjects, this ability has been invaluable. I regularly put science terms (and other memorization chores) to classical or popular music. In fact, just the other day, one kids was struggling with German articles, so we put "Der Die Das" to the tune of "I Me Mine" by the Beatles and added the nouns as we went along.

Doesn't this sound like too much fun?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2005 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I know this has been recommended in the past, but since I haven't seen it on the boards I"m going to post it again. I just this weekend finally listened to Andrew Pudewa's CD on The Profound Effects of Music on Life. I had tried last year to order it from Emmanuel since it was in their catalog, but for some reason it wasn't available then. I got it this year and was just amazed at some of the things on it. I've always loved classical music, and in fact, lots of other music as well. This will really make you think about playing that old 70's music, etc.
It's also pushed me to start looking for instrument lessons for my younger kids; I waited until the oldest was about 9 before violin lessons.
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2005 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I just wanted to second the recommendation for Andrew's CD - it completely changed the way I think about music and also pushed me to get piano lessons started for my two older girls (I think they were 7 and 6 at the time).

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 15 2005 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Here is a link to Andrew's website - just scroll down and you'll find the Music CD set.

Andrew Pudewa's The Profound Effects of Music on Life

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version