Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living and Loving Numbers
 4Real Forums : Living and Loving Numbers
Subject Topic: Miquon reminder Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 24 2006 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I used miquon math years ago with my middle daughter and loved it, and am thinking of using it with my 4yo. But for the life of me I cannot remember and cannot find online at what level the orange book starts out. DD is just learning counting and 1 to 1 correspondance, so that's where I need to start. Can anyone tell me if this is the level Orange starts at or does it jump right in to addition?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 25 2006 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Katie

Theresa,

The Orange Book starts out with counting and numerals, but moves quickly into missing numbers on number lines and then into addition. It then covers subtraction and also multiplication (as an extension of 3+3+3, for example.) I started this dd with it at almost 6, but ds started Orange when he was 4.

Can I help with anything else? I have the book here.

AS an aside, my dd (now 6) hated the rods, but I loved Miquon and really like the way it makes a kid think, and I enjoy "teaching" it. I had a brainwave and let her use the abacus instad of rods, unless the rods a re very specifically called for, and she leaped ahead in uderstanding and ease after that.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2006 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks, Katie. That is what I thought I remembered. My problem is my older dd (now 16) was very precocious in math (she went through all 6 books in one year)so it is hard for me to say that since she used it in K that this dd will be able to.
I think we will be able to use it, but just go at a slower pace and use LOTS of other activities to supplement and reinforce.
Now, if I can just find my old set of rods. I don't want to have to buy them again, but have NO IDEA where they are after 10 years! And I think my rod track went missing about 5 years ago!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

lapazfarm wrote:
Now, if I can just find my old set of rods. I don't want to have to buy them again, but have NO IDEA where they are after 10 years! And I think my rod track went missing about 5 years ago!

Hmmmm...could you make some out of cardstock for now while money is tight? They'd be harder to manipulate, certainly...what else could you use?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Good thinking, Elizabeth! I think I have all the proper colors of cardstock, too!

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2006 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Elizabeth wrote:
lapazfarm wrote:

Hmmmm...could you make some out of cardstock for now while money is tight? They'd be harder to manipulate, certainly...what else could you use?

check on Cathswap, too. I just picked up a large bucket of rods for $8 to supplement the ones we already have, and I think the seller still has a smaller one left for $4.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version