Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Picture book storage Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 23 2006 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

If you store your picture books all together, do you alphabetize them by the author's last name, store them randomly, or do you have another method?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 23 2006 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

Our absolute favorites are stored randomly in a seperate bookshelf. These are the books that are read nightly. Our other picture books which may include doubles of those mentioned above are randomly stored in our library room. I constantly find the kids in there with various books pulled off the shelf. They know to put them back on one of the designated three shelves. I have grouped other themes seperately such as history, poetry, mythology,etc... on other shelves.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2006 at 3:26am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Cheryl,,

How timely, I have just finished sorting the shelves in my loungeroom I now have three lovely bookcases with books shelved by authors in alphabetical order. It sounds excesive I know but I was drowning and I am actually really happy with the result. I ended up using cardboard strips to mark the divisions. Makes it all much easier visually.

Tomorrow I'm starting on the picture books. Picture books are only a recent obsession in this house. Since joining this board actually. Previously they have been scattered amongst the different bookcases, ie. history picture books on the history bookcase. I've decided that tomorrow I'm going to put them all on the one bookcase. I've decided to do this as I have many great picture books that are not being read.

I'm going to divide and mark these as I mentioned above. But the categories will be by topics, ie. Native American picture books, Japanese pb, American history etc and of course all our Australian pb's will stay together. For some I will group by author ie. Tomie de Paola's books will stay together.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2006 at 4:22am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Cheryl,

I just walked past the loungeroom in time to see dd2, having a wonderful time pulling out all my 'dividers' Mmmm I may have to think of some other 'dividing' idea. Any takers?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2006 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Erin wrote:
Cheryl,

I just walked past the loungeroom in time to see dd2, having a wonderful time pulling out all my 'dividers' Mmmm I may have to think of some other 'dividing' idea. Any takers?

This may not look nice, but what about putting small labels with the author's name on the bookshelf, in front of the books?

I'm thinking about doing the duct tape storage idea so the kids can put the books back on the shelves where they belong. It would be easier to find picture books if they are alphabetical, but I guess I don't usually have trouble finding things anyway, because I don't have that many and I know what they look like. I could always alphabetize in the future. There! I answered my own question!

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2006 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Cheryl wrote:
This may not look nice, but what about putting small labels with the author's name on the bookshelf, in front of the books?

I'm seriously thinking this. I can't see why it won't look nice, in fact it may well look nicer than the cardboard dividers.

I'm still toying with the colour idea on the spine, maybe I need to just trial it and see. After all i havereally enjoyed how the alphabetizing has turned out, I'm now considering it for all the bookcases

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2006 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Great ideas ladies!! Ours are all in each dc's rooms on shelves in their closet. It's like their own personal little libraries and they are in charge of keeping them neat and up high enough so baby doesn't pull them off

They love it and we all know where to go if we want a paricular book!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2006 at 11:04am | IP Logged Quote kristina

Cheryl,
If I tried to alphabetize our entire library, my husband would think I am more goofy than he already does .

Our children's books are organized my type (religious all on the bottom shelf, twaddle on another, lesson stories in another, etc..) and then by subject/type (animal stories, little critters, early readers, etc..) and also by author for the ones we have several of: Jan Brett, Max Lucado, Dr. Seuss, Richard Scarry, etc.. I don't know if anyone else could figure out my system, but I know where the books are and our little ones know where their favorite ones are.   

Happy library organizing!
Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version