Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: C-section support Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 22 2006 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Last time I was pregnant, I spent the last few weeks researching and trying desperately to get her to go back into a vertex position and stay there. She'd turn, I'd relax, and she turn back. Finally, at the end, she stuck her foot in the birth canal for emphasis. It was as if she stomped an angry pout and let me know I wasn't going to win this test of wills (note that she is not the pouty type at all).

I ended up with an emergency c-section that day. One of my greatest regrets is that I spent so little time preparing for a c-section because I spent so much time fighting the possiblity. This baby girl--at 31 weeks--has her head wedged under my ribs. My midwife is not concerned yet. She's says we have lots of options, including a doctor (thanks Molly) who is really good at turning babies. He's also a much better surgeon than the last backup was. i've got my ironoing board propped at angle so I can lay on it, head down and encourage her to turn. I've got chiropractor appointments all lined up. I have promised not to spend any more time researching turning breech babies. At some point, I have to just trust that God knows what's best. But...

I think I'd better learn from my mistakes. If I'm going to have a c-section, I want a good one. I want it to be as philosophically in tune with natural childbirth as possible. I want to know what to do before and after nutritionally to optimize recovery. I want to know how to sit in that hospital bed so that I don't scrunch the incision but I don't sit on my tailbone either. I want to know how often to get up and walk. I want to how to manage drugs. I didn't take percoset after the first dose because I absolutely could not function with it.I want to know postpartum-at-home coping and recovery strategies. I want to know it all--and this seems like a good place to ask. Will all you veterans please contribute thoughts on c-sections so that this thread can be as helpful as the postpartum depression thread?

And a prayer or two would be most appreciated.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Elizabeth,
No words of wisdom on c-sections, but lots and lots of prayers to offer for you and your little one...

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Alice R
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 22 2006 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Alice R

I hope this baby turns for you!

I was like you-so shocked at the C-section and the huge difference between a vaginal and a C-section that I think the emotional part was what hit me the hardest. PLus, I was unconscious for the C-section and woke up about 5 hours later alone in a room.   

Anyway, the second C-section was so much better even though I didn't do anything to prepare like you are asking. I did the same things but I was in such better shape emotionally that I knew what to expect-the healing process was so much better. I had a better outlook and so did my husband. The kids were prepared and my house was post C-section ready.

Oh, I gotta run...I'll be back later. The product of my C-section is crying.   

Alice R

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 22 2006 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth,

I'm glad you are doing this. If you're anything like me, the more you read and get advice, the more comfortable you will be with easing into whatever God's will is. It's the unknown and fear that makes things harder to bear, IMHO.

I only had one c/s and laparoscopy, so my advice won't be as weighty as others who are veterans. But since I have to have repeat c/s, I've analyzed where I went wrong and what I'll do differently in case we do this again.

Check your library. When I was pregnant with my last miscarriage I checked out a few books on c-sections. One had some great advice from women on how to deal with the c/s. Really helpful. You can skim most of the books' info, but the nuggets from women (like on this board) who have BTDT was so helpful.

I did okay on my c/s, but not great. I developed a lot of adhesions, and looking back in analysis, no one explained this to me. So some things I learned:

1) Pain meds: Bring an alarm clock and set it for every 4-6 hours and ask for the pain medication. Not sure if your hospital makes you request the meds, but Fair Oaks did. B/c I wasn't really aware of time, I let my pain meds lapse and I was in horrible, horrendous, worst pain of my life. Take the 4 Advil and other pain meds and keep them up.

I don't do well on Percocet or anything with Codeine. There are some other options, not as strong, but make you less loopy. This last laparascopy (which I know isn't comparable in the pain) I had Darvocet, which is less intense, but coupled with the Advil, it helped.

Arnica -- start before your surgery and resume right afterwards to help the healing.

2) Move: Start walking soon, and use the rocking chair. It's important to keep up the pain meds to be able to move. That was my mistake.

3) Nursing: You need to prop the baby up, so you aren't leaning forward and the baby doesn't rest on the stitches. I got My Brest Friend with my son and it saved me a lot of agony (but I can't nurse lying down, either). They have improved it -- my big complaint was the long velcro strap that was quite noisy taking on and off. Now you can set it where you want initially and use a buckle to take on and off. I saw these in Pottery Barn Kids at Fair Oaks, too. Boppy is too heavy, too round and won't work correctly for nursing. These might work as it's flat and more movable.

4) Intestinal Discussion: I had gestational diabetes with my son. The anesthesiologist put glucose in my drip, so my blood sugar skyrocketed, so I was instructed to go on real foods right away, because jello wasn't going to bring my numbers down. What I learned from then that I implemented in my last surgery: Drink lots and lots, preferably room temperature or warm. Take the stool softener right away and keep taking it. Don't wait until you have problems. I started eating prunes and drinking prune juice. One book suggested drinking warm water with a tablespoon of molasses to keep things moving. This is where the adhesions can form, if you let things stop moving. And keep doing this not just the first few days post surgery.

5) Sleep and bond. It's probably obvious to you with number 8, but I unplugged the phone and refused visitors for parts of the day. I was exhausted and while I had help in the hospital I needed to rest.

6) Once home: Rest lots, keep moving, but don't overdo it. A fine balance to maintain.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 22 2006 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, I knew I would forget something. A friend of mine talked about how she had a c/s in Italy years back and the sister wrapped her abdomen up, so that she didn't strain or hurt herself in her healing. Now that I'm reading elsewhere, that makes a lot of sense.

Make sure no boys are looking over your shoulder before opening link. Here is a postnatal support that I want to try next time. Scroll down. I know too tight materials hurt, but something that holds it up. I have a lady that sells these and will fit you...she lives a bit out of Manassas. I can give you her number if you wish. Maybe you can find other options, but this is what I really want for next time.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

My only suggestion is to make sure you do what you can to keep from having a chest cold at the time. Coughing is SO painful during C/S recovery.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 22 2006 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

Everyone has great ideas. I have had 8 C-sections. Here is what I always did.

Take your pain meds every four hours whether you think you need them or not. At least 3 days.

When you get up to walk, walk upright, which helps avoid adhesions. NO slumping, it hurts you in the long run.

I always liked having just a couple of pillows on my lap to protect my tummy from the baby.

Wear a binder(available at the hospital). I wore mine till I could stand up without feeling like my insides were about ready to come out, about 2 weeks. It also helped me to want to walk and I think helped the healing.

If I think of anything else, I will post later. Praying for you that you DON'T need a section!

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I'm with Cindy on the pain meds--please take them. The first few days, take their recommended dose, then you can wean yourself from there if you want to. I found that, once I was home, even 1/2 of a percocet would be enough pain relief. Also at home, keep 1/2 or 1 percocet and some water at your bedside to take 15-30 minutes before you plan to get out of bed--it will make the world of difference.

Walk, walk, walk as often as you are able in the hospital and at home. I always felt better walking than sitting.

Once home, I wore a postpartum support that's different from the one Jenn mentioned. I'll look for one for you at Babies R Us tomorrow. It's a very wide cloth/elastic belt sort of thing that velcros. It felt very good to feel like I was back together.

The toughest part of the c/s for me is when they take the baby and Daddy and I'm left for the recovery stuff. It's too long to wait to see baby . I'd always tried to stay awake, but with #5 I let myself take a nap. That was great--I was definitely tired, and it made the time pass.

I don't remember having a problem nursing, but I do know that the nurse freaked out when she came into my room and I had the bed flat, lying on my side, nursing sweet Patrick. I had pillows wedged in the rail--he wasn't going anywhere--but I thought she was going to flip . It was very comfy for me, though!

The other nice thing about where you'll be delivering is that the nurses will give you as much or as little attention as you desire. My last two babies have been with me almost exclusively once I was walking, and I would only get visits at med time or meal time or if I rang for a nurse. It was a lovely place to deliver. Plus, you might have some friendly company in a room nearby .

Food, oh yuk. Everything is awful, I may as well tell you that right now. Even the jello is gross. Anything that comes in its own package was okay--bananas, graham crackers, juice. Anything prepared in the cafeteria is going to be bad, so bring some things in your suitcase that you like--protein bars? granola? I don't know what you like... Soup and broth does taste good, just not THEIR soup and broth, so have someone bring you some good stuff.

Also, as much as we all hate hospitals, I'd encourage you to stay for your full benefit--mine is 4 nights. I've stayed 4 nights, and I've stayed 2 nights, but my easiest recovery was the 4 nights. You will miss your home, your pillow, your family, your food, but you will be able to totally focus on you and your baby. Bring some good reading, your slippers (nonskid Isotoners for me), some nursing nightgowns so you can get out of that hospital gown as soon as possible, your bathrobe, your shower stuff, all the creature comforts of home. I plan to settle in this time!!

That's it for now, my time is up. I'll let you know if I think of other things.

Alice R
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 22 2006 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Alice R

Ok, I'm back...

*lots of support pillows for nursing. I brought a whole variety and my husband took home what did not work.
*take the pain meds on schedule even if you think you don't need them. They are working...that is why you think you don't need them!!!
*pants were brutal-a loose skirt is best
*figure out what underwear works best. I cut up my old ones to suit me.
*take it easy! A C-section is major surgery. You have NOTHING to prove and there are no rewards given out if you half kill yourself or if you chill a little.   
*good shoes for walking in the hospital-whatever works for you but if they are wrong for-it hurts even more. i wore Birkenstock sandles with socks-very ugly-but comfortable.

You will be so much better this time, trust us!

Alice R

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 22 2006 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Molly Smith wrote:
Once home, I wore a postpartum support that's different from the one Jenn mentioned. I'll look for one for you at Babies R Us tomorrow. It's a very wide cloth/elastic belt sort of thing that velcros. It felt very good to feel like I was back together.

Molly, when you get it, can pass along the brand name?

AliceR wrote:
*pants were brutal-a loose skirt is best

Good point. I was swollen...my 9th month pants were so tight and uncomfortable. I wish I had a skirt wear from the hospital.

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Where I used to work, we allowed Csection moms to nurse in the recovery room (if they desired). Discuss with your midwife/ob having this option available to you and make your nurses aware, too.
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

JennGM wrote:
Molly Smith wrote:

Molly, when you get it, can pass along the brand name?

Yep, this is it. Of course, in the picture the tiny little woman is wearing it on her tiny little waist. However, I wore it lower down so that the bottom edge was lower than my incision--about as low as it could go and still be able to sit down. I think mine is a medium, but there is a huge area of adjustment with the velcro. I find that I like the tightness of this, and of jeans as soon as I can get in them, as opposed to more loose fitting stuff. That said, I do have a few elastic waist knit pants for comfort in those first few days/weeks.

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Like you I had an unprepared c-section and I wished, like you I had read that chapter.

Here's my suggestions:
1. Bring a Boppy. It helps with that vulnerable feeling of your incision, and it was a great thing to nurse with. Or Jenn's thing looks even better!! I happened to have a boppy that I had my sister bring to the hospital after the C/S.

2. Take the pain meds. Ask for something different. I was on a darvocet (sp?) pain pump-IV, but maybe because I had general aneth. I'll try to find our more of your different options, since you didn't like percoset.

I am a very natural person, who doesn't like to feel loopy. I even had an anxiety attack in the hosptial about losing control and taking pain meds (it was brought on by a serious lack of sleep and a very tramatic hemorrage prior to birth, but I was so scared to take these drugs). Later I read in W. Sears' book (the c-section chapter I should have read , as I recall) that YOU ARE A BETTER MOTHER WHEN YOU ARE NOT IN SERIOUS PAIN. C-section pain is unavoidable, so keep up on the meds for at least the 1st 24 hours and then give motrin (max dose) a try. You'll know right away if it works for you, if it doesn't switch to darvocet (sp?) or some equivalent.

3. Pack 2 NEW nightgowns/pj's. Make sure they are new and lovely. Get out of that hospital gown as soon as you can sit up and comfortably change with your husband's assistance. There are some darling capri type pants sets on sale right now.

4. TAKE THE GAS MED!!!!! (milicon) I was too scared to take it... didn't know what it was. . .didn't believe I'd need it and I blew up like a balloon. Dh called for ducolax by the time I hit balloon stage ( ) and it did cause some urgent cramping feelings, but helped.

5. Have the baby room-in. Did you know you're baby doesn't HAVE to leave the room? We demanded all baths, procedures, etc. in the room. Yes, they get snippy and roll their eyes, but they have to comply. Dh escorted the babe to the nursery for the ear testing, so send your dh along. EVERYTHING ELSE, including a bath, CAN BE DONE BY YOUR BEDSIDE!!! They CAN bring the scale to your room.

Unless, having your baby next to you stresses you out. Then you can send them to the nursery. I'm not a nursery person, myself.

6. Demand to nurse during the heel stick. Studies have shown that a baby who is nursing barely feels (or not at all) the heel stick. We demanded it. Again, eye rolling and a brief argument when dh firmly said "She WILL nurse the baby during the stick!!" If this is important to you, dh has to step up to the plate and be persistant and assertive!

7. Have a birth plan with all the nursery orders in it. You will have to have the pediatrician sign it. Then most of this will not be a surprise to the nursery staff. You can have a birth plan for yourself, too. Find our what other women who were actually awake for their c-setions did. I had one friend who asked whose doctor offered her a mirror to watch the "birth". Okay, not for everyone, but she LOVED it.

8. Make the nurses help you sit up. If one of them tries to get you to use you stomach muscles while she moves your under padding, ask for assistance.

9. My mother-in-law works the women's surgery floor and she taught me how to get up. TAKE YOUR TIME! Roll to side and let your feet dangle off the bed, SLOWLY use your arms to push yourself up to sitting. You're first goal is to sit on the bed edge, feet dangling. As soon as you can do this without putting undue stress on yourself, get assistance to the sitting chair (if its a decent, soft chair) and sit there for a little bit, out of the bed. The bed is terrible.

10. Get walking as soon as the nurses let you try it. You can ask them to help you "dangle."

11. Dh took off a week after the c-section PLUS we had a girl come in daily for two weeks to run the house. Dh didn't let me do ANYTHING! He only let me go downstairs once/day and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES was I to do anything but nurse and change diapers. I wore the pretty pj's I bought not knowing they'd be for a c-section recovery--which is why I tell you to get some pretty pj's. It uplifts your mood to feel pretty.

All meals were brought to me in bed or on the couch. I still walked around, but didn't DO anything but LOVE the baby. All laundry was done by the girl, who was like an angel!!! God knew what he was doing when I cooked 3 weeks of meals and froze them before the birth. It was great!

12. GIVE YOURSELF 2 WEEKS of nothing to do, gradually easing back into life. Everything is on "pause" during those weeks and you'll need help, even if its just your kids helping (mine were too young at the time). Tell them beforehand that you are out of commission and its all on them (or whoever).

13. REST! I got the dreaded uterine infection. IT IS VERY SERIOUS. My husband (a doc) literally flipped out when he realized that's what was going on with me. Luckily mine was treatable by a shot at home, but it can often mean IV antibiotics and readmission to the hospital. A uterine infection is BAD news. YOU MUST REST. Mine was because they didn't have time to be sterile. The doc didn't finish scrubbing in, etc.

I hope this wasn't too long. . .

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I will say a prayer.

Quite frankly, I found my C-section birthing to be less physically taxing than my previous all natural lots of work, big baby labours. My recovery was good, too - although I do think that Arnica helped. I began taking it six weeks before baby was due ( and he was two weeks early) and then for six weeks post partum.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

My first was an unplanned c-section and so I included the possibility for another in the birth plan for #2. I will try to dig it up, but I know that I asked to be able to see the birth to hold her in my non-iv'd arm (with help) right away.

I am praying that you will not need the c-section (#2 ended up surprising us at home!) and that if you do, it will be untraumatic,non-painful, and peaceful.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Here are a couple of links to c-section info and sample birthplans. One mentions using duramorph instead of morphine for a c-section. Does anyone know about this?

Sample birthplans (incl. c-section possibility)

Birth Plan for c-section (non emergency)
Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 23 2006 at 4:48am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Wow! Thanks. I'll look into alternatives to Percoset. I absolutely cannot take that and have the baby with me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Molly, but I don't think there was a recovery room. But I got to nurse pretty quickly. I went from the OR to my room and I had Katie with me as soon as I got there, pretty much. And I was insistent on keeping her there, but that's why I refused the narcotics. I did 800 mg of ibuprofen. I did notice that you have to ask for it--but nobody told me that ahead of time.

I sat at a 45 degree angle in the bed pretty much all the time.I think this exacerbated sciatica? And that caused rebound pain. I had this shooting electric shock pain in my left foot the first time I got up and it repeated to a lesser degree the whole time I was there. Now--four years later--it's a dull ache all the time. No one seems to know why. Do I sit up straighter so I'm not on my talibone? Does that "scrunch" the incision?

The only shoes I had with me were the slides I wore in to the OB check. And they were awful. They wouldn't let me walk barefoot, didn't have any paper booties and Mike kept forgetting slippers, so I didn't walk much at all. That's the first thing I'd change.

I will check out the birth plans. Mine was totally written for a vaginal delivery and I hadn't thought out any of these things.

I've already asked if I can hold her immediately after delivery (with some help of course) and they said that she must be whisked away because the operating room is too cold (for sterility purposes) . Seems like one of those preheated blankets would take care of that...but no...So that means Mike leaves, too (if he's even there--we're looking at 4 days/week of travel through the fall).

It's been encouraging to me to read your stories, particularly when you had rough c-sections and then came back for better ones--even just that you had a baby again at all. I think a big part of my fear last time was that the c-section would render infertility. My mom had both her babies by section and nearly died with the second one. After that, she avoided pregnancy like the plague. I'm not at all like my mom but it was one of those horror stories I'd heard for years...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2006 at 6:04am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

No, there wasn't an recovery room, but you do have to stay in the OR for all of the clean up work. All of the first checks on the baby are done right there in the OR and dh was with baby the whole time, then they brought the baby to me each time for a little nuzzle (there's not really a way you could hold the baby due to your own position and certainly no way to nurse in those first moments) before heading to the nursery--dh stayed with baby the whole time.

Baby will join you pretty soon, but remember that you're going to be too numb to walk for quite a while, so you may as well take the pain meds--you're not going anywhere! I'm completely unfamiliar with med options because percocet and motrin have always done the trick for me.

I never had to ask for pain meds in those first few days--they brought them to me like clockwork.

I think the key to your bed/sitting position is to not stay in one position too long. Try different angles, try lying flat when you're ready, try sitting rather straight with your knees bent, all the time alternating with a brief walk.

Take all of Sarah's advice (all fantastic, especially the tips on how to get up out of bed), and since she brought up the uterine infection (which I've never had so can't speak to), it reminds me to mention epidurals real quickly. My first four were the typical epidural--they give it to you in the prep room and wheel you to the OR, no biggie. For my fifth, they talked me into an epi/spinal combination. The advantage, supposedly, was that I could walk myself to the OR (I did), the anesthesia would take effect quicker (it didn't) and my numbness would go away quicker (it didn't). I was stricken two days later with unbelievable spinal headaches and had to return to the hospital for a blood patch, not fun. I will insist on the sole epidural this time. I couldn't care less about walking to the OR.

I've never done a birthing plan so I really don't know the best way to create and enforce one. I will say, though, that I've delivered at this hospital 3 times already and I've not encountered one obstacle or had one request denied. I've always roomed-in, I follow their rules and wheel the baby into the bathroom with me which I would do anyway (or have dh or my mom stay with baby while I shower) and, aside from my "nursing while lying down" incident, have never had any resistance.   

The other thing I remembered this morning, is that I have a lovely tapestry suitcase that I have ONLY used for my soon-to-be-6 hospital stays. (I'd lend it to you, but you know, I'll be using it ). It always makes me feel good to pack it, to see it sitting ready to go, to see it in my hospital room. It's so pretty and familiar and I know exactly what's going to be inside. I stand by the isotoner slippers, too! Brand new, light pink, rubber bottoms, every time. I have my same pretty nightgowns (they unbutton almost to my naval so easy nursing) that I use only at hospital/newborn time. Get some lovely (I'm kidding this time--I don't think they exist in "lovely") high waisted underwear so you can change out of the gauze underwear. Get a lightweight robe if you don't have one. I always feel badly for the poor ladies shlepping around in hospital gowns day after day--if you have a c/s and know you'll be in for a few days, you simply must have lovely things around you or you will go nuts (just my professional opinion ).

Oh! Someone mentioned watching the c/s by a mirror. I did that (sort of) with my first and it was very interesting. I haven't done it at this hospital, so I'm not sure it's an option. But, my anesthesiologists (sp?) have always been so wonderfully friendly and, since they're sitting right near my head the whole time, I make them give me a running commentary . Dh is right there with me, too, but he's busy watching the doctor. This doctor, always holds the baby right up where I can see him/her so I see the baby only 1-2 seconds after everyone else.

Gotta run...little ones up...

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2006 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Looks like percoset or darvoset (sp? on both??)are your options. Dh informed me that I had Demerol IV, but this not given orally because it causes euphoria and then I had percoset and then took home a "script" for darvoset but never took it.

He said darvocet is very similar to percoset. He also said that you should be getting motrin at the same time as the narcotics. Check into that with your birth plan. See if your doc orders both at the same time.

I don't think there is much avoiding the pain meds the first day, but get to only motrin as soon as you can.

As for the baby leaving the OR, my baby never did. Dh held her wrapped in tons of blankets, and put her to the breast even though I was unconscious . She was also 10lbs 7oz. and had no trouble regulating her temp. The OR is kept extra cold and they worry a baby will get chilled. Also, they can't necessarily ensure that all dh's will want a screaming baby and know what to do. I'm not sure they'll bend on this.

Dh was also her sole caretaker while I was on the pain meds in the main room.

I forgot to tell you I'll pray for you. Please don't worry. It is beyond your control as this point. God takes care of us.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 23 2006 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I guess I'm not all that worried about immediate post-surgical pain.It's going to hurt and I'm ready for that. I know I can't tolerate the narcotics--we're not talking about not being able to walk; we're talking about not even being able to talk, plus nausea and vomiting. The switch to advil early was okay for me. For the record, I'm not a pain wimp. I had six babies without pain medication. I had nine months of chemotherapy and I've had a bronchoscopy without sedation (though that was a hospital mistake and not my preference ). I don't expect to be pain free. It's the chronic pain that got to me. It doesn't seem right that I was still taking prescription doses of advil at 4 months, six months and nine months postpartum.

Just hearing the difference in Molly's experience and mine gives me hope. I have her surgeon lined up this time. Sarah, you've given me plenty of fodder for conversation in the next few weeks (my poor midwives--look out!) My dh would be fine consoling the baby in the OR and would really like to stay.He doesn't have the credentials yours does though. (Right about now, I'm wishing he'd stayed with the medical school plan instead of the last minute change ). Did they make an exception for you or was keeping the baby there within the hospital policy?

Chari, any thoughts from Northern California (where having a baby is much less of an "ordeal" as I understand it)?

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version