Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Liturgical Year Poster Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
marianne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 20 2006 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote marianne

Hi! If any of you have made the Liturgical year poster, similar to what is shown in CHC's A Year With God, how did you make the wheel? My first problem, is how to draw a perfect circle THAT BIG, and then, how do you make the wheel from there? Any advice? Thank you!

Marianne

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2006 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Marianne, I didn't make one but heard a great idea somewhere here??? about using a garbage can lid for your circle! HTH

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2006 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We got a big kitchen bowl and traced around it on a big white poster board in pencil for the big circle. We got another kitchen container (slightly smaller than the big one) and traced around it for making the outside color bands. We colored these using colored pencils - but wait to color them until you've done all the penciling in of the dates or days. Then we got a much smaller kitchen container and traced around it for the center where the arrow goes.

We did everything in pencil first so that we could erase and re-do anything that didn't come out like we wanted. We glued mini saint cards around the outside for the feasts, etc. and got the dc with the best penmanship to do the actual writing. Everyone helped color the liturgical season color bands. My dh cut out the arrow from black poster board (smaller one - any stiff cardboard glued to the back of construction paper would work) and attached it with a brad clip.

Ours is not as artistic as CHC's, but it works and it was the best job we could do.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2006 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Dear Marianne,

I have not been that creative myself but I will show you what I bought, that may work as a guide, it is so very colourful! Then we put pictures of the saints for each day on, the children love to do that, so that they are referring to it every day.

This particular wheel has 6 A4 sheets (that how big the whole sheet is) on the back with information that can be photocopied for use with the children - I haven't done that myself this year, and this is the first year I have used a liturgical wheel.

Hope this may help.

This is an update - I had just been looking at the recent 'Ken Done the artist' thread and noticed that women were posting images of Ken Done that could be seen! I didn't realise that it could be done like that! Wow - so I thought that I would change this post and use it in the future for suitable things.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2006 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Wow, Anne, that liturgical wheel is SO COOL!

Dawn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2006 at 2:38am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Meredith wrote:
about using a garbage can lid for your circle! HTH

If you want a smaller one, the lid of your wok or frypan can work.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2006 at 2:40am | IP Logged Quote Erin

aussieannie wrote:
I will show you what I bought, that may work as a guide, here it is so very colourful! Then we put pictures of the saints for each day on, the children love to do that, so that they are referring to it every day.

Anne
Where did you buy this? Incredible!

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 2:43am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I bought the Liturgical Wheel at St Pauls Bookshop in Brisbane, I think it cost $9.95.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 21 2006 at 3:35am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

aussieannie wrote:
I bought the Liturgical Wheel at St Pauls Bookshop in Brisbane, I think it cost $9.95.

That is really neat, Anne. It looks like the ones that are printed by Liturgical Training Publications each year. The saints pictures didn't come with it or did they? Where did you get those - are they a sticker set?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 3:53am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

MaryM wrote:
That is really neat, Anne. It looks like the ones that are printed by Liturgical Training Publications each year. The saints pictures didn't come with it or did they? Where did you get those - are they a set or something you've printed yourself?

Yes that's where the wheel comes from! Liturgical Training Publications. From the US originally (like most things are.)

The pictures are a liturgical set here but they were too big for the wheel unfortunately(didn't realise this until I had opened them! ) so I printed them up on paper and had them shrunk down to fit and glue them on.

The only thing is the stickers follow the old calendar, so I had to find pictures for some of the saints on the new calander that are not on the old - did this by google image searching, then saving them and shrinking them right down to the same size as the rest - I then saved those ones in files by the different months. It also means that some of the saints images do not belong on the day they have designated, so I have to do some swapping around.

It might seem like a big job to image search the whole year month by month but I think once you get the hang of the whole process, it gets quick and easy enough - the good thing is, once you've done it once you can got them for good - I might even attempt that myself next year and just do it in monthly lots.

What you would really need to make things easy is get 11 other mums to commit to doing one month each, you do yours and then email them to the other 11 and receive their files too! There might not be enough interested though I'd be happy to do more than one month. I'd certainly be in if someone wanted to attempt it. Just a thought.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 3:55am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Just looked at your link Mary, Wow! Know I know what next year's calendar is going to look like!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

MaryM wrote:
That is really neat, Anne. It looks like the ones that are printed by Liturgical Training Publications each year. The saints pictures didn't come with it or did they? Where did you get those - are they a sticker set?

I'm awaiting mine from LTP,they've een BO'd but hopefully will ship soon, I can't wait for it to arrive as I think it will really enhance our Catholic Mosaic

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 23 2006 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

What a wonderful poster, Anne! Thank you so much for sharing that. I want to buy that now and the sticker album so we can start reading about a saint each day. I found this book and it has a saint for every day of the year. Does anyone have this? It looks great and i think it would be great if we got into the habit of reading about the Saint(s) of each day. Here's the link. It's called Saints for Young Readers for Everyday. It's 2 volumes and $15 each so not too expensive, imo. Tell me what you think or if you have it. TIA!!

eta: oops i forgot the link. Saints for Young Readers for Everday Book
Back to Top View graciefaith's Profile Search for other posts by graciefaith

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2006 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote MarieC

MaryM wrote:
aussieannie wrote:

That is really neat, Anne. It looks like the ones that are printed by Liturgical Training Publications each year.
I love this and we will be getting it. Thanks for the idea.

We're also getting these planners. The teacher version will help me a lot, i think.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2006 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Dear graciefaith,

Those books look very familiar and I like the idea of saints books that have one for each day of the year - does it follow the calander or alphabetical order?

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 24 2006 at 3:01am | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

According to the review, the first volume contains saints from January to June and the second volume for the rest of the year so im guessing it follows the calendar. I think im going to get it.

eta: here is a link to the reviews on it from Amazon.

Saints for Young Readers for Everyday

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2006 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

graciefaith wrote:
I found this book and it has a saint for every day of the year. Does anyone have this? It looks great and i think it would be great if we got into the habit of reading about the Saint(s) of each day. Here's the link. It's called Saints for Young Readers for Everyday. It's 2 volumes and $15 each so not too expensive, imo. Tell me what you think or if you have it. TIA!!

We have these books and use them regularly. There is a Saint for each day. They follow the Church calendar and give a short synopsis of each. We use them as a part of morning prayer, asking that Saint for their intercession. I use the very same list of Saints (since it's the offical listing of the Church for the Latin rite) in my planners so my kids see the Saint's name for each day in their student planners and then hear a little bit about their life during our morning prayer time.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2006 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MicheleQ wrote:
graciefaith wrote:
I found this book and it has a saint for every day of the year. Does anyone have this? It looks great and i think it would be great if we got into the habit of reading about the Saint(s) of each day. Here's the link. It's called Saints for Young Readers for Everyday. It's 2 volumes and $15 each so not too expensive, imo. Tell me what you think or if you have it. TIA!!

We have these books and use them regularly. There is a Saint for each day. They follow the Church calendar and give a short synopsis of each. We use them as a part of morning prayer, asking that Saint for their intercession. I use the very same list of Saints (since it's the offical listing of the Church for the Latin rite) in my planners so my kids see the Saint's name for each day in their student planners and then hear a little bit about their life during our morning prayer time.

I grew up on these two volumes, the older version pre-Vatican II calendar. Loved those pictures. This must be the remake...does it have the newer saints? When was it published?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Jenn, it's the updated calendar. The volumes I have were published in 1995.

We recommend these in Mater Amabilis too.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 24 2006 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

Michelle, is a good book for a preschooler and kindergartner?

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version