Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: What’s cooking??? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 01 2005 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Right now I have some White Chili in the crockpot and a whole chicken simmering for pot pie. I am cooking those for later in the week. I just did not want them to go bad sitting in my fridge. I spent a ton of money on groceries this weekend and I do not want it to go to waste.

I think tonight we will try Creamy Cilantro Lime Chicken. We bought some cilantro this weekend so I need to use it before it gets all wilted. I think I may make some pasta to go with it (guess that will change the low carb aspect of dinner) and some broccoli.

I have plans to try some new recipes for my family the next two weeks, luckily there is a Baja Fresh close by in case they are big flops!

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 02 2005 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I make my white chili with ground turkey and canelleni bean. Another big difference si that it uses cumin instead of chili powder.

BTW the creamy cilantro chicken was a big hit!

I am so happy that Carter is 7 now, that seems to be the age they start eating a better variety of food in our house.

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2005 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I wish I had some exciting meals to report but because of time, budget and diet restraints our meals have been fairly dull this week.

Low fat macaroni cheese with salad and low fat high fibre muffins.

Chilli Con Carne with Low GI basmati rice and coleslaw, no dressing.

Low fat tuna and vegetable mornay.

Patsa with tomato sauce, parmesan cheese and salad.

Oh, well, maybe something exciting nexy week.

There are always pancakes for pancake day!

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2005 at 1:45am | IP Logged Quote Chari

As a family, one of our sacrifices for Lent is giving up all meat.

I was wondering if some of you could inspire me with meatless meals to serve for Lent.......I just feel so at a blank. Been doing this for 20 years..........and I cannot for the life of me remember what we eat   

we do not have pancakes for Fat Tuesday......since we often have pancakes during Lent........as one of our meatless meals...........one that I CAN remember!

Thanks!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2005 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Meatless Meals for Lent:
Pasta with a variety of sauces (polenta too)
Vegetable soups (minestrone, barley mushroom, potato brocc)
Whole grain and beans (brown rice and black beans, polenta and pinto beans)
Food on bread
Eggs (quiche, frittata)
Baked potato night (baked potato with fixins)

Need to go and eat breakfast...I'm hungry
Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 07 2005 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

As Angie has already mentioned, we eat a lot of beans and rice -- red, black, lentil, garbanzo. Spinach quiche too.

Are you giving up seafood? We had plain (no seasonings or sauce) steamed shrimp w/ coleslaw the other day.

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2005 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Meatless meals:

Grilled cheese and tomato soup (can have grilled tuna and cheese too)

Pasta Primavera (if you use vegetable broth)

tuna noodle casserole

fish sticks and macaroni and cheese

There are lots of meatless recipes on www.allrecipes.com . I think you can just search for vegetarian or meatless meals.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2005 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

TracyQ wrote:

There are lots of meatless recipes on www.allrecipes.com . I think you can just search for vegetarian or meatless meals.

I like allrecipes.com too. One thing I haven't found a lot of there are meatless slow cooker main dishes that are whole food based (aka - no condensed soup or other processed foods.) I hear that there is a vegetarian slow cooker webpage but I haven't found it yet. Anyone?

Thanks,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 15 2005 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Homemade Crab Cakes! I have an awesome recipe!

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

oooh. we had homemade crab cakes 2 weeks ago. they were awesome and surprisingly, even my 8-yo and 6-yo (who refused to eat it last time i made it) ate it this time!

angie, (HI!!!! <waving>) i know i have at least two -- i think one is vegsource.com and the other is a slow-cooked recipe site, something like crockpotrecipes.com but i'm not sure. i'll post again if i find it.

tonight we're having the filipino version of
arroz con pollo, with ginger and fish sauce; 13-yo dd is sick and needs some comfort food.

God bless,

stef in pa
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

stefoodie wrote:

angie, (HI!!!! <waving>) i know i have at least two -- i think one is vegsource.com and the other is a slow-cooked recipe site, something like crockpotrecipes.com but i'm not sure. i'll post again if i find it.

Thanks, stef! I went to vegsource but I can't search for crockpot recipes in particular. It looks like they are revamping their site but in the mean time they did have lots of neat recipes. I tried the crockpotrecipes.com but it was just a conduit to other sites. With all your spare time, why don't YOU start an allrecipe-like site for meatless crockpot recipes !

Hope Aisa feels better soon. Love,

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

amiefriedl wrote:
Homemade Crab Cakes! I have an awesome recipe!

Are you willing to share, Amie?    

Crab fan,

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 17 2005 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Okay, here is the recipe. But I hope not to disappoint. My husband loves these, he actually prefers them to 'real' crab cakes he had on the New England shores.

"Crab Cakes" from the Favorite Brand Names Cookbook
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 C. plain dry bread crumbs
1/4 C. lemon juice
1/4 C. sliced green onions
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 lb. imitation crab meat, flaked (although you could try to use the real thing!)
Additional bread crumbs for frying

In medium bowl combine eggs, bread crumbs, lemon juice, grn onions and dry mustard. Fold into crab meat, blend. Shape into cakes (I like smallish ones.) coat with add'l bread crumbs. In skillet brown in hot oil until golden. Refridgerate leftovers.

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2005 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Willa

We are going to have spaghetti with red sauce, and salad, and rolls. Boring, I know, but it's Aidan's favorite meal and one of the few meatless meals all the kids will eat.   Elizabeth, I know what you mean about hungry boys. My 12yo has grown about 4 inches in the past year and his shoe size is bigger than mine. Oh no, another teenage eater to add to the three we already have!

I could sure use some ideas for expanding our menu rotation.   Great thread idea.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2005 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

here's a rough recipe for Filipino arroz con pollo:

Ingredients:

2 tbsp. canola oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup ginger coins (peeled ginger and cut into quarter-sized slices -- I sometimes use more when I really want the ginger flavor to dominate)
1 2 1/2 - 3 lb. fryer chicken, cut up (or you could use less: i only use the thighs and drumsticks because the kids always want more of the rice -- i reserve the wings for chinese chicken wings another day, and the breast for stir-fries or chicken fingers) -- if you have time salt or brine the chicken for an hour or overnight - you can also remove skin and bones if you like -- less skin = less fat -- no bones means you only need a spoon to eat this!)
salt or fish sauce to taste
2 cups sweet glutinous rice or jasmine rice, or a combination (we prefer the glutinous)
6-8 cups water (more or less)
a pinch of saffron or 1/2 teaspoon false saffron

optional toppings:
- minced garlic, fried in some oil over moderate heat to a golden brown, then drained on paper towels
- soy sauce or tamari
- minced scallions
- freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice (or if you can find calamondin (tiny green citrus) -- that would make it more authentic)

In a dutch oven or large casserole, saute onions over moderate heat until translucent. Add ginger coins, pressing on the ginger to release juices. When fragrant, about 2-3 minutes, add chicken pieces. Continue sauteing until surface of chicken pieces turn golden, sprinkle with salt and/or fish sauce to taste, stir again, set heat to low and cover. Stir occasionally, cooking 10-15 minutes, until chicken juices are exuded. Add water and rice, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil, 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Lower heat to medium-low, and cover, stirring every 5-10 minutes to prevent scorching (more frequently when the rice has absorbed most of the water). Add water if necessary. (You can add as little or as much water as you want depending on if you want a soupy arroz or not -- we like it soupy so i actually end up using about 10 cups water.) Continue to cook until chicken pieces and rice are tender. Add saffron or false saffron at the last minute and stir. Serve hot with optional toppings. Serves 4-6 as a main course.

You can also do this in a slow cooker, partially. Cook the chicken as directed, then transfer to slow-cooker along with rice and water (denending on the size of your slow-cooker you may have to adjust rice and water amounts -- just keep in mind the rice will double in volume as it cooks)

hope you enjoy it!

a note on the fish sauce: we use a Filipino brand like Rufina; Thai nam pla or other asian fish sauces can be used but the flavor will be slightly different.

(hey, this is actually good for me, because i'm "forced" to write for the cookbook i'm making!)
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2005 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

This is what we are having:

Torn tortilla casserole (from the book Honest Pretzel by Molly Katzen)
Salad
Bread

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2005 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

In the crockpot: chicken, wild rice, onion, looots of garlic, carrots, worcestershire sauce, and onion soup mix. It's an experiment. Don't know how it will taste, but it smells good...

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2005 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Hi:

tonight I made up a chicken dish. I had some chicken breasts no bone. I sliced them at the fatest part and made a pocket. Then I put a 10 oz box of chopped spinach (defrosted and water squeezed out) and about 1/2 cup of parmesan, and a clove of garlic into the food processor and started it. I drizzled in olive oil until it was a paste. I spread it into each chicken pocket. After I cooked them (350 for about 40 minutes) I made a white sauce, added some parmesan and romano cheese and poured it over the chicken. I tossed some shredded mozerella over it and let it melt. Served with some lightly steamed asparagus and a salad and rolls. It was a hit.

I enjoy goofing around in the kitchen. I am looking forward to getting some new inspiration here.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2005 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

I'll figure out something quick and easy for my children, but DH and I will be eating Hunan-Style Beef w/ Peppers. It's too hot for our kiddos.

Hunan-Style Beef with Peppers

1 lb. lean beef, such as top round or sirloin, trimmed of all visible fat, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
1 tbsp. ginger, finely minced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 red or yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into strips (I like to use 1 red and 1 yellow)
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. canola oil
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup beef broth

Sprinkle beef with soy sauce. In large, heavy skillet or wok, heat canola oil until hot. Add beef strips and saute until lightly browned. Remove beef from pan and place in a serving dish, leaving juices in skillet. Reduce heat to medium and stir in ginger, chili pepper, garlic, and bell peppers. Saute 3-4 minutes until peppers are soft. Stir in black pepper and beef broth and heat. Add beef strips back to heat them up.
Serve w/ rice (I like brown rice w/ it.)

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

We are having tilapia fillets (frozen) with this recipe my butcher gave us. Surprisingly quick and easy:

BAKED TILAPIA PARMESAN

4 TILAPIA FILLETS (6-8 OZ EA)
1/2 C. MAYO (DO NOT USE NON-FAT. LOW FAT IS OK)
1/2 C. PLUS 2 T. GRATED PARMESAN
1 GREEN ONION SLICED
1 CLOVE GARLIC MINCED
2 T PARSLEY CHOPPED
SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE
LEMON WEDGES

PREHEAT OVEN TO 425
ARRANGE TILAPIA IN A SINGLE LAYER ON A LIGHTLY OILED BAKING SHEET. IN A SMALL BOWL COMBINE MAYO, 1/2 C. PARMESAN, ONION, GARLIC, PARSLEY, SALT & PEPPER. SPREAD MIX EVENLY OVER FISH. SPRINKLE REMAINING PARM. CHEESE ON TOP.
BAKE 7-9 MIN. UNTIL TOPPING HAS BROWNED AND FISH IS DONE.
SREVE WITH LEMON WEDGES.
SERVES 4.

WORKS ON CHICKEN TOO.

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version