Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Is coffee bad for you? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 17 2006 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

amiefriedl wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
Genevieve, if you can't get through the afternoon, you don't need caffeine, you need a nap. And you deserve it too. Caffeine might not be bad for you but a nap would be good for you.

OHH - well said, well said Elizabeth! What a true statement! All mothers should take note! Naps are not an extravagence, they can be so vital to good mothering. Especially a homeschooling mother.

I think it's a sad commentary on our society that we are expected to find some substance that keeps us chugging along day after day instead of being allowed to sleep when we're tired.

And Willa, coffee and tea and chocolate all have antioxidants. I just know that for me, the cons outweigh the pros. I'd rather eat a cup of blueberries .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 5:42am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I'm trying to avoid naps ladies! But perhaps that's what happens when you become a mother? Five years ago, when I wasn't a mother and still in college, even with the workload and much fun at night, I still didn't need a nap. Is there something about motherhood that makes me suddenly so tired? I want to go to bed when my friends are just starting the party.

I also realized I haven't been drinking a lot of water lately so I'll try to be more attentive to that. Why is water so important to being awake?

And Dawn, when I was on the low-carb diet, strangely I had a lot more energy. I couldn't stay on it though because I got so tired of meat and couldn't shake off the idea that consuming that much meat isn't healthy for you. My dh however, has been on it for a year and a half now and consumes much less meat before he started (though till a lot more than I ever did) I'm thinking of trying it again....

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Sarah wrote:
There is some data proving that unfiltered coffee (French press type) can increase your blood pressure (I think its blood pressure).

Oops, its not blood pressure, its cholesterol. Dh said there's a chemical in unfiltered coffee that raises your cholesterol.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

aussieannie wrote:
To find a non-caffeine alternative is a better thing because you are not sure what is causing your tiredness. I know I probably seem obsessive about mentioning thyroids but my life is ruled by the lack of one!(probably atrophied by now)

I am no expert, but after napping, THYROID is what immediately came to mind when I read this question. I'd get some Dr. recommendations (it can be tricky to test) and get it checked out.

I love naps! When mine were little, we'd all lie down for nap time. I could see a tangible difference in my mothering when I'd gotten more sleep.

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2006 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I said I would come back if I found a suitable herbal help and I have checked out my herb book to which I have just written in a thread about here - there is of course many herbs to use but I thought I would mention one that is really practical to use - Ginger. This is what is said about it for energy levels, "For drowsiness and lack of energy (which may be due to poor digestion and sluggish liver) mix 1 inch piece of ginger(grated) and the juice of half a lemon, 1 teasp. honey and top the cup up with hot water to dissolve the honey, and drink. Use daily for 2-3 weeks."

When I re-read the two A4 pages on Ginger, I am reminded once again why I drink it (mainly for singing voice quality - that I found out about in this book) but for so many other health reasons, quite a remarkable plant!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2006 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

aussieannie wrote:

When I re-read the two A4 pages on Ginger, I am reminded once again why I drink it (mainly for singing voice quality - that I found out about in this book) but for so many other health reasons, quite a remarkable plant!

That's very interesting. I wonder if prepurchased candied ginger works?

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2006 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Well I'm sure it would help, as it is sure to have the active ingredients present, but probably not as effectively as fresh ginger.

I use fresh or dried ginger in preparing ginger tea for singing, but one choir member who decided to try ginger, uses the candied ginger.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2006 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Anne,

Thank you for the recommendation. I used to eat a lot of ginger when I was closer to Asian markets. Perhaps I can find a supplement around here.

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote AnaB

Twinings makes a Ginger Lemon herbal tea that's great. I discovered it during morning sickness with my last pregnancy. I also use it when I have a sore throat. I'm going to have to pull it out and use it more often.

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

I find that I cannot do readalouds after we have eaten. All the blood rushing to my gut makes me veeeeerrry sleepy!

Your thyroid is important to check, especially if you have other symptoms (achy joints). I have often had my thyroid tested throughout the years but it was always normal. A year ago my Dh (an ER PA) convinced me to have it checked again. I didn't feel any different from previous times when it had been normal but this time it came back way low.

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

Elizabeth wrote:

I am going with the sugar and caffeine-free though--all part of the depression-busting plan. Personally, I don't think menopausal absitinence is going to help with anyone's depression or midlife crises in this house.

Hi Elizabeth,

I had a dr suggest to me a few years ago that I was depressed, but I knew it wasn't the problem. Long story short, it was a problem with sugar. Last fall, I did a de-tox (pre-baby4), and then I was told that I had an allergy to sugar, so I cut it out for good. That, with a list of other foods too good to give up for good! Really long story short, I believe these were intolerences, not allergies, and I'm eating them again, without the problems that I had previously. Maybe you need to clear it out of your system for a few months, and then your body can tolerate it in moderation afterwards? I know mentally, I'd crash and burn every time I'd eat something with sugar in it, and the symptoms looked like depression, but it wasn't. Just a thought.

And why in the world would they suggest people abstain just because they CAN'T get pregnant?? I thought the love-giving and life-giving aspect were so intertwined that they can't be seperated. . . that makes it sound like they're giving reason to abstain during phase 3??

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

For me, a coffee drinker since childhood (started taking it black at the age of 9), caffeinated coffee hasn't seemed to interfere with sleep. But it is very bad in other ways. For the past 6 or so years, I have been on blood pressure medication. It seems most likely a hereditary thing, as my mother developed the same issues at about the same age. But, caffeinated coffee makes it worse. Also, in the past couple of months I've noticed that for a couple of hours after I have caffeine my hands tremble to the point I can't pick things up or write. That seems like a couple of good reasons for me to avoid the stuff.

I love the Twinings Ginger Lemon tea. I go somewhat cautiously with the herbal teas because I read somewhere that many of the fruit flavored ones are fairly acidic and this leads to tooth decay problems.
Mint tea is also enjoyable. We recently found a Celestial Seasonings tea called Mint Magic, with spearmint, peppermint, cinnamon, chicory, and orange peel. Yummy!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Essy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Essy

I don't know if anyone mentioned it already...but how about drinking more water. If you are even the least bit dehydrated you can get lethargic.

Back to Top View Essy's Profile Search for other posts by Essy Visit Essy's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Essy, Dawn mentioned that back on the first page and I have to agree. When I am drinking my water instead of my Diet Pepsi I am much more energetic. Why can't I learn!   

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Genevieve,
I am no coffee expert (although I do drink it!)
I picked up the book by Drs. Roizen and Oz, You on a Diet, and in there it has a few things on coffee.
First, it says that coffee is one of the items that can cause GERD (gastroesophageal reflux.)
Second, it states that "coffee is Americans' largest source of antioxidants (aside from caffeine, which has its own antioxidant properties.) It is chock-full (pun intended) of polyphenols -me talking here, whatever those are!- and is a great low-calorie fluid when you have cravings. You can drink decaffeinated versions to avoid the side effects."
Third, and last, they say "Recent research shows that coffee doesn't cause hypertension-but caffeinated sugar and diet drinks do...."

I hope this is helpful!

I can't drink caffeine after lunch, or I will be up all night! Most everything I drink is minus caffeine. Aside from coffee, I have been on a Celestial Seasonings Lemon Zinger and Twinings English Breakfast Tea binge!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI

Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I start to read this thread...it looks interesting.

I'm thinking to myself, "This is embarrassing, I MUST ask if the thyroid has been checked, everyone will think I'm paranoid about thyroids!"   

Next moment I scroll past my post ?!?!.....the cogs are turning...oh, I see, it must be an old thread!   

....and I DID ask about the thyroid! ...sorry, I just have to laugh.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2007 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Now, let me state first that I am a BIG fan of coffee and (knock on wood) I haven't yet had problems with hypertension, staying awake, etc.

But, and this might be the key -- I don't put ANYTHING in my coffee, ever. I drink it black and don't drink any other caffeinated drinks.

Even when pregnant I drink just two cups a day -- one in the morning that I sip on till about 11 (it's in a thermal cup, but with good coffee, even cold it tastes good) and one in the evening. Occasionally I will have more than those 2 cups -- around my family or out to dinner or whatever -- but I've never yet had a problem. This might be a genetic thing as my mom, she'll be 76 this year, can still drink a cup of black real coffee at night and go right to sleep. My dad (who died 11 years ago) and my sister can't have coffee up to 12 hours before they went/go to bed -- it keeps them awake!

A case of everyone being different and needing to do what's right for them......

Oh, and if you come to my house, I NEVER have decaf coffee -- I think the decaf process kills the taste! But I have lots of herbal teas so we'll sit and have a cuppa.....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version