Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: File Folder Games Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 16 2006 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Just a couple quick questions on file folder games. I'm about to make the first one for dd to use and I'm wondering from those of you with experience, should I laminate the file folder itself? It seems like they wouldn't close very well that way ... Also, what have you found to be the best way of storing them for daily use? In particular, for different ability levels. Thanks!   
Back to Top View Kristin's Profile Search for other posts by Kristin

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote Kim F

I use packing tape to adhere the folder pieces to the folder and just laminate the loose pieces or no, the folder won't close right. You can use a milk crate type container to hold the folders or a magazine holder works well too.

You will LOVE the ff games : )

Kim

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

What sites do you ladies like for ff games? I bought a book of them, but alot of them are just not useful to me. I need a site where I can pick and choose only the ones I can use.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Kim F

ABC filefolder group

PreK ff games

Preschool Printables

Shelley Lovett

The above are free groups and sites. I have mixed feelings about the yahoo group since basically theyhave files full of copied Carson Dellosa games. The teacher share groups share all kinds of scanned activity bks but I feel rather guilty downloading them. :/   

As for the ff sites themselves - not that impressed. LOTS of color, alphabet cap and lowercase, and small number quantity matching and not much else.

My favorite ff game bks are still the Carson Dellosa   I have the K, 1, 2, 3/4 bks and use them constantly. They have some others for science and social studies we didn't think we would use. The second bks for each grade level are generally more of the same so one would suffice for each grade.

Kim

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Kim F wrote:
My favorite ff game bks are still the Carson Dellosa   I have the K, 1, 2, 3/4 bks and use them constantly. They have some others for science and social studies we didn't think we would use. The second bks for each grade level are generally more of the same so one would suffice for each grade.

Kim, I have never used ff games before so thanks for the links. I am not sure I understand how to set them up. Is it all just matching? Do you just make two copies of everything and keep one intact but cut the other?

Also, what types of activities are in the Carson Dellosa books for the grades 3-4 and up? What do you use them for?
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 16 2006 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Do you find that your kids actually like file folder games? I remember these in the classroom when I grew up, and never liked them. Then in my college days there was this constant push to make FF games. I really disliked them. And I found that the children in my classroom didn't really like them much, either.

Don't mean to be negative...I'm just hoping to hear some positive spins on them to shake my negative impressions.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote Kim F

My kids really do use them constantly. They replace workbks so I find them cost effective especially if you do them while you have more kids coming up the pike. ; ) They were a lifesaver for several of mine whose handwriting skills lagged far behind their math and reading skills. They could move ahead with the ff games much faster than with the wkbks.

The ff games have problems on one set of pieces and answers on the others so they match them up or stick them inside each other or something like that.

Some sample games would be:
matching an H to a piece that said G,__,I
matching a 39 to a piece that said 3tens 9ones
a car to a piece with a c
a contraction to its two separate words
items that go together (umbrella to rain)
math facts to answers
sorting games (hard c on one side of the folder,soft on other)
visual discrimination games (pairs of characters that have subtle differences)

The 3/4 level has the contractions, sentences you match to ending punctuation, harder math facts, spelling games. Trying to remember. I have a boatload of people dropping by tonight but will ck the table of contents in the morning I promise.

To me these are very Montessori because they are reusable and can be self checking if you include a key with the folder. We have liked them honest! But be sure you get the proper level. No fun to make games they are about ready to master anyway and then have them sit unused.

Kim

krgammel
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 16 2006 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote krgammel

I second everything Kim said!   

My kids love them and I think they are invaluable for reviewing as you move on to new subjects.

Often times I print them on bright colored paper and mount on colored file folders. I purchased a laminator at Walmart for the "playing pieces" and I adhere the game board to the folder with clear contact paper.

There are several Free File Folder Games at the Busy Teachers Cafe.

+Kristen
Back to Top View krgammel's Profile Search for other posts by krgammel

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

I have been using the Take it to Your Seat Centers by Evan Moor(Language Arts, Phonics and Geography so far) I haven't seen the math ones. Some of these are made to go into a large manilla envelope and some in a pocket folder.

(I got a cheap laminator from Walmart too.)I have a good source of laminate if you want the link...

Each "center" has a laminated paper taped to the cover(or envelope front) with packing tape and the directions (laminated and then taped)on the back. There are laminated sheets, a worksheet to fill in, Answer sheets and pieces stored on the inside. My kids love these. The older ones are working on the Geography ones and the younger ones are working on the Phonics ones right now.

Evan Moor has a feature where you can see the inside of the whole book. Some I like better than others...everything that I have actually purchased the kids have liked and reused many times over...so 'I' like that!    

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 18 2006 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

Thanks so much for all the tips! Can't wait to give them a try!
Back to Top View Kristin's Profile Search for other posts by Kristin

Faith
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 29 2006 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote Faith

Hi all, I haven't been here at 4reallearning for a long time. Anyway, I went out and got both Carson Dellosa (CD)File Folder Games and Evan-Moor (EM) Take It to Your Seat books so I am doing a little comparison of them.

I got books for the K through 2nd grade range.

Carson Dellosa divides the books up according to grade level, Evan Moor's books have a two or three grade range, for example K-1 or 1-3.

CD has reading and math games in one book. EM's books are more subject specific, that is, just math or just vocabulary.

CD has 42 games in its K Book 1. 24 are math related and 18 are phonics/sight word related.

EM has 14 games in its K-1 Vocabulary Centers book. It has 15 games in its Math Centers book for grades 1-3.

CD's art is not as appealing as EM's, at least in my opinion. The manipulatives are smaller and more cramped looking. Also everything is in black and white and needs coloring. It looks more prep intensive. EM's art is colored, more appealing, manipulatives are nice and big. For prep you basically cut and laminate. That's it.

CD File Folder Games for K costs 21.95. EM's Math Centers for grades 1-3 cost 21.99. So for a CD book for one grade level you get 42 games, but lots more teacher time in preparing them and of a poorer quality. EM gives you a lot fewer games (only 15 to cover 3 grade levels)but much easier to use and of a higher quality.

I for one, like the EM books better. I am a visual person and they are just more appealing. Also, I know that I can't spend that much time in preparing all these file folders, so I like that EM's are more teacher friendly. For my purposes I am teaching children in different grades, so I like that the EM games span more than one grade level. And because file folder games are just part of what I am planning for our learning centers, I don't need 42 games, especially when they don't seem quite as well thought out as the EM ones. Along with file folder games we'll have Montessori-esque manipulatives, books, workbooks, board games and computer games.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone who might be toying with the idea of purchasing one or the other. If you are someone who doesn't mind coloring the CD games and want lots of games, that would be the more cost effective way to go.

Blessings,

Faith
Back to Top View Faith's Profile Search for other posts by Faith

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2006 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

That's good info, Faith.
I have the CD file folder games and they are very prep intensive. Color, cut, glue onto cardstock, cut again, then if we had a laminator...
I am not sure they are worth it. I try to do one every once in awhile and now have several done, but we'll see how much they get used to determine if I do many more.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 29 2006 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

My dd loves the file folder games I've made for her. My only problem (and one Kim addressed above) was how to make it self correcting.

For example: I made one from Preschool Printables (Flowers in Bloom) - a game where she counts the dots on each petal and then matches it with the petal that has the correct number written on it. She did great on the 1-6 numbers but then obviously guessed - every time - on 7-10. She would often take these out while I was preparing dinner - so I wouldn't see her errors until after bedtime when I was cleaning up the living room.

So, Kim, please tell more - how does one go about making a "key"? Does it explain how to do that in the CD books?

Oh - and FWIW - I use clear contact paper to attach the game directly to the folder. Cover the pieces in clear contact paper. I use velcro circles and attach them to the board and pieces.

ETA: Okay, I'm off to take a nap now. I just looked up the Evan Moor site and he provides an answer key.

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Kim F

Couple things - on prep work its agreed that CD bks arent colored. Like Kristin I print most of mine on various colors of bright cardstock and use complementary colors of file folders. Or we use the prep as coloring work for those old enough to help. Two birds with one stone <g> The graphics aren't realistic and that would be my only gripe but it is the only thing of that sort we have so I figure the twaddly pics can be overlooked for the number of games we got. That is strictly personal choice though and both titles sound wonderful.

For the key the easiest thing to do is to set the game up correctly and take a digital pic of it and print. (can be printed on regular cardstock if you dont want to spend the money for a regular pic) Include the answer key pic in with the pieces and they can compare it to their folder when they are finished.

Kim : )

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2006 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

WOW, Kim! I never thought of the digital pic as a key! Simple and brilliant! You are just full of nifty little tips!

Faith
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 29 2006 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Faith

Gee, I would never have thought of copying onto cardstock. Very good idea! And the digital picture is also a great idea.

Thanks.

Blessings,

Faith
Back to Top View Faith's Profile Search for other posts by Faith

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 29 2006 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

Thanks Kim! You ARE full of nifty little tricks. I love the digital pic idea!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2006 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Evan Moor has FF stuff for 6th grade too!

I never realized this, thanks a bunch for the links! This would be a nice break for dd from Saxon and a great way to reinforce certain concepts. AND they would be small and easy to store, I can think of lots of pros. I'm all excited now!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2006 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I made some of these for Annie. She's already playing with them.      

Does anyone know of one for the alphabet with upper and lower case matching?

Thanks!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Louise
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 30 2006 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote Louise

Cay Gibson wrote:
I made some of these for Annie. She's already playing with them.      

Cay... I can't help you with the alphabet ff, but which one did you made for Annie? I want to make some too, but the books are rather expensive. I wish I could see some of them to help me decide which one would be most helpful for my dc.

Kim... could put some pictures of some ffs you made from the CD books on your blog? Like I said the books are rather pricey and I would like to see if this is what I want before I spurge. I did look at the websites you mentioned and wasn't impressed either. I have been busy, busy putting together our learning room (I had to stick all four younger boys in one bedroom in order to make room but I LOVE our new room!), and I have been making all sort of games from Labrita's books for Laurence. I even adapted some of her ideas to use in a compact way, placing them into a photo album using stickers and other scrapbooking supply. So much fun! I'll put pictures on my blog when I can, probably not before my three college kids leave though.   

Well, got a go and help Lydia with the cooking. Everyone is coming for dinner tonight.

Back to Top View Louise's Profile Search for other posts by Louise Visit Louise's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version