Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: What do we do? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 06 2005 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Our parish had a lovely Memorial Mass last night for John Paul II. A couple of things that I wanted to pass on. One hymn they played was supposedly JPII's favorite Marian hymn. Beloved Mother
Serdeczna Matko (Beloved Mother)

Serdeczna Matko, opiekunko ludzi.
Niech Cie placz sierot do litosei wzbudzi.
Wygnancy Ewy do Ciebie wolamy.
Zmilujsie zmiluj niech sie nie tulamy.

Do kogoz mamy, wzdychac nadzne dziatki.
Pylko do Ciebie ukochanej Matki.
U ktorej serce otwarte kazdemu.
A osobliwie nedza strapionemu

Beloved Mother, guardian of our nation.
O hearken to our supplication.
Your loyal children kneeling we beseech you.
Grant us the graces to be loyal to you.

Where shall we seek our solace in distress?
Where shall we turn, whom guilt and sin oppress?
Thine open heart, our refuge e'er shall be.
When trials assail us on life's stormy sea.

Here's another literal translation.

I was looking for an audio recording of this. I did find that Polish Art Center a CD that has this song. This link has a short audio clip. This clip is the best by far, and the entire hymn. Hmmm....maybe I should buy this recording!

The program also had some great quotes from JPII. This one I just loved:
Despite the limitations that come with old age, I still feel a zest for life, and I thank the Lord for it.
At the same time, I feel a great peace when I think of the moment when the Lord will call me from one life to another. (JPII, 1999)
I'm trying to find another quote that our pastor read from Krakow...I'll share if I can find it!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 06 2005 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have a question. There are pictures of JPII in his younger days with thick, black horn rimmed glasses, with some stories about his nickname being "Uncle" ...and then he has no glasses the rest of his life. Is there a reason why he didn't need them anymore? Were the glasses for a medical condition that resolved itself? Or were the glasses for show, drama? Just curious if anyone knows this!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2005 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Elizabeth,

What a beautiful remembrance of our Papa!

One of my girls once called him "The Hope" as well.
Little ones know hope and holiness when they encounter it .... Goodbye, dear Papa

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 08 2005 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Jenn,
Knowing and loving your dear Polish pastor (who probably shaped my faith second only to JPII) I wish, wish , wish I'd been there Tuesday night. Our pastor has done nothing. Nothing. There is a shrine in our chapel with a picture and flowers and a novena candle and rosaries and holy cards. I put it there. I am so pained over the lack of [what? insert appropriate word here] that I am considering again the neighboring parish. This week has really shown that this new administrator (who isn't a pastor yet) really disliked JPII and all he stood for. One can only wonder what will happen when a new pope is named--particularly if he is a man of the same ideological and liturgical mind as John Paul II.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2005 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

jenngm67 wrote:
I have a question. There are pictures of JPII in his younger days with thick, black horn rimmed glasses, with some stories about his nickname being "Uncle" ...and then he has no glasses the rest of his life. Is there a reason why he didn't need them anymore? Were the glasses for a medical condition that resolved itself? Or were the glasses for show, drama? Just curious if anyone knows this!

I wonder if he used contacts...
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2005 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Natalia wrote:
I wonder if he used contacts...

I thought of that, but then it seems so strange to me that never would be photographed with glasses. In the hospital visits and such you wouldn't be wearing contacts!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2005 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
Jenn,
Knowing and loving your dear Polish pastor (who probably shaped my faith second only to JPII) I wish, wish , wish I'd been there Tuesday night. Our pastor has done nothing. Nothing. There is a shrine in our chapel with a picture and flowers and a novena candle and rosaries and holy cards. I put it there. I am so pained over the lack of [what? insert appropriate word here] that I am considering again the neighboring parish. This week has really shown that this new administrator (who isn't a pastor yet) really disliked JPII and all he stood for.

I should have let you known about our parish's activities. I presumed all parishes were having holy hours and memorial Masses for the Pope. The instructions are even on the USCCB site. My heart breaks to hear of your pain, and I guess for me that would be the straw that broke the camel's back. For an administrator to put his personal griefs first before a whole Church's mourning is so darn selfish!!! It's our POPE, doesn't matter if you agreed with him or not!!!!! To not have the refuge of your parish in this time of mourning is a travesty!

Well, I guess the upside of this is you will probably move and not have to deal with this.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 08 2005 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I can't open any of the files at the site. Can someone tell me what the bishops directed parishes to do?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

materdei7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 08 2005 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote materdei7

This for our churches here in Wa. St. I'm sure it is
very close if not the norm for all churches.
Hope this helps. The information right on the front of the opening page. http://www.seattlearch.org/
Just copy and paste.
Blessings and prayers,

materdei7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 08 2005 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote materdei7

Found this on the usccb site:
Both the Diocesan Bishop and priests in every parish might consider offering a special Mass for
the deceased Pope. Mass offered by the Diocesan Bishop at the Cathedral or in each Vicariate
for the attendance of as many of the faithful as possible, is desirable.
Care should be taken that such a Mass be celebrated according to the norms of the liturgical
calendar.
Prayers to Be Used From the Roman Missal
Various Prayers for the Dead in the Roman Missal include those for a Pope (three forms A,B,C).
They can be found in the section, “Masses For the Dead, Various Prayers for the Dead.”

There was also suggestions on the homily, and futher prayers for the selection of the future Pope with prayers to the Holy Spirit. Hope you can access the file
later, as it is more complete than the previous website
I gave you.
Warmly,

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version