Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Dictation Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 31 2005 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote Courtney

My dd is 7 1/2 and this is our second year homeschooling. I've been working more lately on copywork and dictation. Earlier in the year, she could copy short little poems (about 2-4 lines). Right now we're doing the Beatrix Potter unit. I had use one sentence from Peter Rabbit for copywork. When it's time for dictation (and this has happened before), she just goes and does it b/c she remembers the sentence word for word. She did this with poetry also. Does this mean I should give her lengthy passages? She does still complain when I ask her to do the copywork, but then again, she still complains when I ask her to narrate even though she does it just fine. Any thoughts?

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 06 2005 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Courtney, it sounds like you're on the right track. I would maybe experiment with a little longer passages and see how she does. My daughter (almost 9) does just fine with lengthier passages especially when they are taken from the context of our readings. You could also mix it up a little and have her do scripture verses or start copying prayers like the Hail Mary and Our Father etc.

You might check out the copywork thread in A Living Faith, Alice and some of the other ladies have some superb ideas. HTH. Take care.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 06 2005 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

Thanks, Meredith. I've been thinking that she could handle something a little longer. We're doing the Beatrix Potter unit right now and one of the books is the 23 Psalm with Tasha Tudors illustrations. I've thought about breaking it up for copywork. Prayers would be great, too. Thanks you! Prayers for you on your upcoming birth!

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 07 2005 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thank you Courtney for your prayers, they are much appreciated. I think Psalm 23 is an awesome choice, especially by breaking it up, then she could decorate each page as she finishes and make it like a little mini prayer or psalm book. My kids LOVE to decorate their work and gives them tons of confidence for completing a job well done. Have fun with the Beatrix Potter unit, we did it last Spring and absolutely loved it. I could do rabbits and anmimals BP stle all year!! Take care. +JMJ+

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version