Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: CHC Tour the Continents Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 29 2006 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Has anyone done CHC's Tour the Continents? Or is anyone planning to do it this year? I'm thinking of doing it in a notebook instead of wall posters, has anyone else done it this way? Willing to share ideas/pictures? With a new baby due in November, notebooking seems more mom-friendly than posters...

Dawn

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 29 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

We did it using lapbooks. My dd really enjoyed it.

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Cindy,

Would you describe what you did? I'd love to hear about it!

Dawn

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I wonder if this is anything like the "Around the World Notebook" my ds has planned for next year here. If so, I'd like to hear ideas, too!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

lapazfarm wrote:
I wonder if this is anything like the "Around the World Notebook" my ds has planned for next year here. If so, I'd like to hear ideas, too!

What your ds is planning looks neat, Theresa! For Tour the Continents, we're going to be studying each of the 7 continents. The lesson plans suggest making a map for each continent and labeling major rivers, mountain ranges, etc., then studying native animals, saints, and attractions and landmarks. 5 weeks per continent (I think less for Antarctica). While we have the wall space for posters, I think I could handle notebook size pieces of paper easier from the couch while nursing a baby, which is where I anticipate I'll be schooling from next year!

Right now, I'm thinking of a different notebook page for each part of the project...a map page which dd will label w/ rivers, mountain ranges, etc., an animal page where she'll paste or draw pictures of native animals along w/ narrations about what she's learned about each one, a page for attractions and landmarks where she'll paste pictures of these things along w/ narrations, and a saints page done in the style of the previous 2 pages. I suppose we could have more than 1 page for each part, if needed. We may also add journal pages describing related food and craft projects we delve into...we'll see if we get to that.

So many ideas, but only 24 hours in a day! I'm trying to come up w/ a realistic plan so I don't get crazy w/ guilt over what I'm not doing...

Dawn   

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Dawn,
I am planning to do the Tour of the Continents next year. I've read the plans once and my first thoughts were that I would do a notebook just as you have described. I think maybe posters would be too time consuming? Too messy? I'm not sure why I don't want to do them. I'd love to share ideas with you once we get going on the notebook.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Dawn, that sounds alot like what we are planning. He will divide his notebook by continent and then will choose which countries to "visit" and make pages on. I envision map pages, natural history pages, history, culture, architecture, etc, etc.
It should work out well for history, geography, and writing, as his writing focus this year will be expository (last year was narrative). Since we do grammar and spelling within the context of writing, we are knocking out quite a few birds with this one stone!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

We plan on doing Tour the Continents as well and my plans sound similar to all of yours:
Notebook (binder with paper) divided by continent, pages for saints, animals, mountains/rivers/lakes, landmarks, etc. We will then Tour the Countries within the continents adding to the notebook country flags, maps of countries, capital and larger cities, famous people, governments, and other country info. I see it as a long term, multi-year project possibly continuing whenever geography is discussed. It will be a geography notebook kind of like CM's Book of Centuries (which we will be doing in a modified way as well), but for geography. It can keep the children of all ages doing work together, which I like a lot.

God bless,
Christine
Back to Top View cvbmom's Profile Search for other posts by cvbmom

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Cheryl wrote:
I think maybe posters would be too time consuming? Too messy? I'm not sure why I don't want to do them. I'd love to share ideas with you once we get going on the notebook.

I agree with you on the posters. Perhaps once we actually start the project we could post the books or other resources we're using and ideas for notebook pages for each continent? We could start a new thread for each continent...CHC Tour North America, etc...that way it could be more organized and easier to keep track of.

Theresa, do I just visit your blog to keep current on the resources you're using for your ds's World Tour project? It's so much easier to have a list of books to check out from the library rather than doing a subject search and then sifting through the results...

Dawn

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Wow Ladies! I'm furiously copying and pasting to save this information.

Next year is our 14yo son's (will be 14 on Thursday) first year of high school. I'm planning his Global Studies course with our main text being Runkle Geography. But I want to add a year long project, and this just may fit the bill.

Theresa, thanks so much! We're going to be using your site to help us out quite a bit too with this study, because we'll be including history, geography, cultures, with living books, etc. At least that's the plan right now if I can make the time to really design his course.

Thanks again!

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Tracy,

Just so you know, CHC's Tour the Continents is a year-long geography course for 2nd graders. I see no reason it couldn't be adapted for an older child, but a lot of the resources we'll be posting would be for elementary school.    

Dawn

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Well, I will try to keep the list updated then, if it will be of use to you folks. I know we all can use all the help we can get!
Right now the resources I have listed are to start off with a general global perspective. Comparing how we live here in the US with how people live elsewhere. They are also to refer back to often as we travel the globe, perhaps re-reading appropriate parts as we begin each new continent, then adding in resources for each specific country.
I like the idea of a thread for each continent. Though I don't have Tour the Continents and don't know exactly what it entails, I'd love to have company on the trip! In what order does it advise you to start the tour?

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

lapazfarm wrote:
I like the idea of a thread for each continent. Though I don't have Tour the Continents and don't know exactly what it entails, I'd love to have company on the trip! In what order does it advise you to start the tour?

North America
South America
Austrailia
Antarctica
Europe
Asia
Africa

Dawn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 30 2006 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote Erin

TracyQ wrote:
Next year is our 14yo son's (will be 14 on Thursday) first year of high school. I'm planning his Global Studies course with our main text being Runkle Geography. But I want to add a year long project, and this just may fit the bill.

Theresa, thanks so much! We're going to be using your site to help us out quite a bit too with this study, because we'll be including history, geography, cultures, with living books, etc. At least that's the plan right now if I can make the time to really design his course.

Tracy,

When you're ready to do Australia I'll be glad to help with suggestions Actually some titles I've already posted on my website, I'll have to update some more inprint ones that hopefully may be in libraries over there.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2006 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Dawnie wrote:
[QUOTE=Cheryl] Perhaps once we actually start the project we could post the books or other resources we're using and ideas for notebook pages for each continent? We could start a new thread for each continent...CHC Tour North America, etc...Dawn

I like this idea. I think we'll be starting the first week of September.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2006 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I just remembered a wonderful video series we watched a few years ago and will have to revisit for this study.
Pole to Pole
(We got it from our library)
Michael Palin (of Monty Pytyhon fame) takes a trip from the north to the south pole, trying to stay on land as much as possible. He travels through some fascinating places and runs into some real difficulties along the way. I remember we followed along with a globe as we watched, but now I see there is a neat interactive website to go along
Palin's travels: Pole to Pole
We may start off following Palin, rather than the continent by continent aproach because I remember ds like the show so much. The we can go back to the continent approach when we finish pole to pole.
I see Palin has some other travel documentaries as well. We will have to check them out.
edited to say: I just noticed there are some video clips from the documentary on the website. This might help you decide if it is something that would interest you.

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2006 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Dawnie wrote:
Tracy,

Just so you know, CHC's Tour the Continents is a year-long geography course for 2nd graders. I see no reason it couldn't be adapted for an older child, but a lot of the resources we'll be posting would be for elementary school.    

Dawn

Oh Dawn, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. It was me posting with my brain with ideas and thoughts swirling around in it.

I don't mean I'm going to use Tour of the Continents the way YOU are using it, or the even to necessarily use it at all. I meant that I will use the idea of notebooking as I use Runkle Geography, filling in the *culture and history aspect* in with notebooking as well, using a frame of reference from the continents, and countries therein, adding in some living books (in his level, of course). I was speaking more of Therese's blog giving me some great ideas!

I have Tour of the Continents, and realize they're for 2nd graders. I'd have to look further to see whether or not they'd give me a framework to work from to design his 9th grade course or not, but that's not really what I was thinking. There are plenty of other resources I can use to do that, I'm sure.

I was also thinking of possibly using All Ye Lands with it, but need to really look into it, and see if it's going to go with it or not. I could use parts of it with the notebooking idea. We did the textbook route last year, and I think he needs more hands on and discussion, with some neat visual projects, because textbooks really bored us last year.

So, I do realize you are speaking of younger kids with Tour of the Continents, but Therese's post got my mind swimming with ideas for designing the course I need to design for my 9th grade son. That's all I mean when I posted, sorry I wasn't more clear.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2006 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

We did it two years ago if I'm thinking of the same "Tour". My daughter was only 8 or 9.

We made a notebook out of it, using the CHC forms (from the lesson plans) that my daughter filled out and colored. 1. First we read all of the living books from our library (even simple ones like "Colors of Kenya" --to name one-- "Count your Way through China", select "Look what came from" titles, Scholastic A to Z series, and the most helpful of all: the "Picture a Country" series by Henry Pluckrose) and we referenced from the National Geographic Atlas for Young Explorers. We read briefly (sometimes skimmed) the simplest bios we had on the saints from those areas.

2. They turned out beautifully with my daughter coloring the maps, flags, and filling in all of the "basic facts" in her own colorful way, then the piece de resistance: choosing a colorful Holy Trader for each country for the corner!

3. We then took a picture of her (a polaroid) in traditional garb and makeup (well, "traditional" in my book) and she cut it out to fit her little passport.

Honestly, this was simple. And I'm so glad we did it. She still remembers quite a bit, and the best part is she hooked in her mind the saints with their localities! So she has a sense of the universality of the Church and these Holy People all over the globe she is studying. I'm so glad CHC put this in the plans and made it so easy to execute.
-------------------------------------
This year, Theresa, we are doing another Around the World Study with my two youngest daughters. I was glad to read your ideas on your web site!   I have chosen some "fun" supplements this year so even my temperamental 5 yr. old will hang in there:

I got the Usborne Jigsaw World Atlas book (beautiful and not too many pieces per continent), the Melissa & Doug Floor World Puzzle, Dover Around the World Maps, Animal Friends from Around the World and United States maps Coloring Books, Tony Tallarico's Search and Find Around the World and USA books, and some sticker books like Usborne Sticker Atlas of the World for them to work on while I read the meatier stuff like Children Just like Me, Stories of the Child Jesus around the World, Usborne Stories from Around the World, and Seton's Great Saints in World History. We're spreading it out across the globe and across the entire year!

God bless everyone,

Nina Murphy and her 8 chickadees
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2006 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks, Nina, some great resources you listed there!

Tracy, my ds will be 11 this year and so we will probably be doing something between what you are doing and what Dawn is doing. Lucky me, I get to pull ideas from both of you!

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2006 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Tracy,

No need to apologize...I hope it didn't sound like I was trying to kick you out of the thread! I just wanted to be sure you knew what we were talking about to avoid possible future disappointment that we weren't listing resources for older kids. But, since Theresa's ds is 11, I guess there will be some "older kid" resources, too!

lapazfarm wrote:
Tracy, my ds will be 11 this year and so we will probably be doing something between what you are doing and what Dawn is doing. Lucky me, I get to pull ideas from both of you!

hee hee...this is gonna be a GREAT resource!
(rubbing my hands together w/ glee)

Dawn

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version