Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: The Story of Ping Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 29 2006 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Hi, all......

I am planning my wee fella's first rowing experience..........pretty much mine, too.

I have searched the archives for ideas........but could not find any.....

What have you done with this story?

Also......I expect we may do our first lapbook, too.

What would you put in a PING lapbook?

Of course, books are awaiting me at the library, already.   

I think I may include my other kids, too.........so they can learn to organize a lapbook.

Thanks!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 29 2006 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Chari,
What fun! Here are some Ping Ideas, including lapbooks pix.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: June 29 2006 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Chari, we notebooked Ping in a semi-lapbookish style using many of Elizabeth's ideas.

Some lapbook ideas at fiarcircle and Ami's site,homeschoolshare. Both of those sites have other great FIAR lapbook samples too. I'm so glad I stumbled across them! (Just in time for this coming year!)

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2006 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Chari,
Maybe this is too late to add to this thread, but I just found it and after looking through the fantastic info. on the sites above, I thought I'd throw my little bit o' stuff in too.

We didn't do a lapbook but did a small "Scrapbook for Ping" instead, using bright yellow construc. paper and yarn to hold it together. (It was pretty basic but just right for us!)
Pg. 1 We used the diagram of a Pekin duck from Enchanted learning (greatly enlarged) to color and then cut out the description, affixing it to the same scrapbook page. At the bottom: (copywork for my 5yo) "Ping is a duck."
Pg.2 Ping's Family Tree (Math): We cut out a green tree canopy, (similar to the one we made for our family tree a few months ago) and put duck stickers down for each family member, writing 1 father, 1 mother, 1 Ping (below them and in between 3 brothers, 2 sisters). On the opposite page we practiced grouping by 10s and 1s with lines of 11 aunts, 7 uncles, 42 cousins. Copywork: "Ping has a big family!"
Pg.3 (Art) Watercolor painting inside of Mom's outline of wise-eyed boat. Copywork: "Ping lives on a boat."
Pg. 4 (Science) We looked up (online) what a duck's diet would include and printed out, cut and pasted real photos of what ducks eat, along with diet description. Narration/ Copywork:"Ping eats insects and frogs."

Kind-of a short scrapbook, but with little brothers involved and following rabbit trails, it fit us. When we rowed Ping, we sort of took Ping down an "All About Birds" rabbit trail for my little guys last year (then 5, 4 and 2). We followed FIAR and then just jumped off...

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Wow, Kristine, this is great! Thanks so much for sharing this! WE are just gettting ready to row Ping again next week!

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 28 2006 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Yes, Kristine! Thanks! And, Elizabeth and Janette, too!

You were most definitely NOT too late, Kristine.....you were just in time!

We ROWED last month, just Ping.......and, thanks to our library, we had a great time. Now, I am going to go figure out tonight what to row next.......I am sure there will be a new thread for whatever it is.......unless I find it somewheres 'round here!

and, a public thank you to Robynn in Lancaster (lavendarfields) for lending all of the books I do not have already!

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

I love the story of Ping because it is an amazing view of old China. In contrast, Jan Brett's Daisy Comes Home is a parallel view of new China. Perhaps the most poignant parallel is the "housing" arrangement. Where Ping lived with his family, Daisy lives in a coop with several unrelated hens.

To follow up and to extend the study to older kids, we read Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze, Homesick, China Homecoming, and listened to The Teaching Company's From Yao to Mao.

But Ping is still a favorite.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

MacBeth,

When you say "older kids", what ages were you referring to? I know this may sound crazy, but so often, I have thought of including my two oldest (ages 13 and 11) in our FIAR adventures - but then I get cold feet, thinking they are "too old". I still can't help but to think there is so much that the older ones could get out of FIAR enriched with extra titles like the ones you mentioned.

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Tea, my older two are high school aged, but I was thinking more of my "tweens," 10 and 12, for comparative Ping and Daisy (I did the same several years ago with the older two)...I don't really do FIAR, but we do some concentrated units, like China, and I must do them on several levels for everyone to be on the same page, so to speak.

I also believe firmly that picture books can be used for all levels, supplemented by real books, historical fiction, biographies and maps...at least, that's how I enjoy making ours a Real Learning home.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I always include my older two in our FIAR studies too. We rowed Ping the spring before last, and my then 9 and 11 yos read the chapter books MacBeth mentioned. We have yet to use any of The Teaching Company's tapes, but I'd really like to incorporate them into our plan soon.

Tea, if you dig around on MacBeth's site, the FIAR site, and use the 4Real booklist, it's often easy to find science, geography or history connections for the older kids. I don't think you can do it and only spend a week rowing a book, though. We can't, anyway!

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Tea, I always include the older kids, too.....even the oldest, 15 and 17 must sit in for the read alouds that are new to them.........I want them to love picture books always! When we did Ping.........we did a mini-unit on China..........and most of it was for the 9-13, than for the 5yo    ....he just played along....

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 30 2006 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

The Cafeteria Closed blog has a lovely photo of Chinese boats that would look great in a lapbook on Ping. See it here.

(You might want to ask permission before printing it out. I do not know the author's policy on such things).

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version