Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What do you know about San Diego? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 28 2006 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

I can hardly believe I'm asking this, but, um, Erica or anyone else who knows the San Diego area, could you drop me a line? My husband is seriously considering taking a job out there. As in, he'd start in two weeks. I'm going to need to do some major info-gathering in a hurry!

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2006 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Lissa,

I emailed you. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2006 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

WOW!!! You mean you'd be on the West Coast

It's big, and sunny and there's beaches, no really I'm just kidding. We vacationed there in February and it's beautiful... Maybe my friend Kathleen will chime in here as she's a California girl You could also PM her at materdei7!!

Very exciting, I'll be anxious to hear any news!!
Hugs.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2006 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

YIKES!!! Two weeks! WOW!!
I don't have any info on San Diego, but I know all about sudden moves. They are not fun, let me tell you, but at least it is over with quickly. Sort of like ripping off a band-aid! LOL!
Good luck!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: June 28 2006 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Lissa,

Legoland is RIGHT THERE!! My children would trade a LOT to be in your family's shoes!

By brother lived there for a while and we visted once. The climate and variety of vegitation there is just wonderful.

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2006 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

It's beautiful! I think SueW used to lived there at one point. I remember her talking about the homeschooling group. I see her tomorrow, so I will let her know you're trying to gather information.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: June 28 2006 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Lissa, I have never lived there, but I love San Diego. I used to work for a company based in La Jolla. Then I learned how to pronounce it. Keep us posted (and we'll pray for your decision).

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2006 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

Lissa:

We lived there for 2 years before we moved to College Station 4 yrs ago. Feel free to email me any questions!

Margaret
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 28 2006 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

I only have a second.........no time to answer....but.........that would be one of MY dreams come true   

Lissa on the west coast...........ahhhhhhhhhhh!

here's praying your husband can make the decision God wants you to! Even if it means I will NOT get you all the way to CA!!!    ..but I will hope   

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 28 2006 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Lissa,

San Diego is a nice city...but very expensive. Navy folks who are stationed there often live way, far away from downtown (like, an hour's commute) so they can afford a larger house. I'd ask the potential employer about their location, where their employees live, how long their commutes are, etc. and then check out MLS listings for those communities to see if a house for your family is truly affordable, and if the drive is worth the tradeoff in home prices. Older homes in SD, in good areas, can be expensive because they're close to the downtown area. Coronado Island, for example, has dozens of tiny homes, former weekend houses, that are quite expensive...but you're close to SD's downtown and in a tight-knit community there, so some people happily pay the price.

Some areas outside the city are great if you want to have horses (my high school friend works near Point Loma, but lives way out so she can ride).

The weather is great. Very temperate. Not too much rain in SD itself, but north county communities get more rain and fog. (Nothing like where you are now, more drizzly.)

There is a lot of traffic. There are LOTS of people who come from Mexico to shop and/or work, because the border is quite close. This is a big change for many people.

There's LOTS to do. Great museums, excellent restaurants, a sizeable Navy and Marine Corps presence, amusement parks (Sea World and Legoland!), cultural events, etc.

It's very big city. There is a main downtown area, an historic area, and the suburbs, which have newer malls, chain restaurants, etc. There are several universities.

The California mission trail begins in San Diego. The rich Spanish/American/Catholic heritage is very much in evidence in missions, adobe buildings, etc. You can do a lot of creative exploration as you follow Father Serra around SoCal.

If money were no object, I'd love to live in the San Diego area. The high cost of living (remember that gasoline is more expensive out there, too...) makes that unlikely unless the Navy sends us there (unlikely, since we'd go in a heartbeat ).

It's a big change from where you are now, definitely. No fall colors, no snow, no flooding (!), but lots to do, great weather (heat waves inland, but not in downtown SD), Catholic history...

I'm praying for you!

(PS - can you e-mail Mary Chris? She has lived there.)

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2006 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Haven't been there YETbut I've heard that Scripps Aquariumis totally awesome.

The zoo is good, too. Great weather, missions, trip to Mexico would be good and informational...Opus Dei has formational meetings in LA and SD....if that appeals to you....Catalina Island isn't too far away -

Not to mention, there's some pretty cool CA girls on this list!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2006 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

San Diego is a big city/county. My parents live near Mission San Luis Rey, which is in North San Diego County. I don't know anything about the homeschooling community there, sorry. Let's see what I can tell you. San Deigo is beautiful. Wonderful weather. The farther North County you are, the lower the home prices. Same goes for the farther inland you live. Much to do and see. I would love to live there. I so enjoy the ocean breeze when I visit my parents!

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 12:10am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Wow, Lissa!

I have no advice, but you are in my prayers!

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 5:10am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

MacBeth wrote:
Lissa, I have never lived there, but I love San Diego. I used to work for a company based in La Jolla. Then I learned how to pronounce it. Keep us posted (and we'll pray for your decision).

La Jolla is where his office would be. We'd of course have to live a fair piece away from that, far as I can tell. The housing prices are scary!

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm definitely wanting to find out about the homeschooling community, and also to get some idea of towns/neighborhoods to look in. The people who want to hire him say to start with San Marcos, Escondido, Oceanside I think?, a few other areas. I'm wondering about parishes, etc. Such a huge decision.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Lissa,
You all will be in my prayers! I have two brothers who left Texas (can you imagine!) 10 years ago to move to Oceanside...they have NO desire to move back here...the ocean, the temperate climate have made them Californians for life...But, as everyone says, housing is terribly expensive...they have had to rent a home for years as the homes in Oceanside are just beyond their means.

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Here's a link I just found that has a pretty good overview of several areas...

Also links to MLS
Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

jdostalik wrote:
Lissa,
You all will be in my prayers! I have two brothers who left Texas (can you imagine!) 10 years ago to move to Oceanside...they have NO desire to move back here...the ocean, the temperate climate have made them Californians for life...But, as everyone says, housing is terribly expensive...they have had to rent a home for years as the homes in Oceanside are just beyond their means.

Oceanside is one of the towns Scott's potential new boss recommended we look in. We too will be renting at first. He also mentioned Escondido & San Marcos. The rental prices make my eyes bug out.

He has to let them know his final decision TOMORROW! And unless there's an unexpected development today, I think he's going to take it. Eep!

(No, I'm not a bit panicked....LOL LOL)

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Lissa,
Carter recommends a great restaurant in Oceanside. It is called Marys' and I think it was the biggest breakfast he ever ate!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Can I be blatantly selfish a minute?   

Oh, Lissa, to have to give up your lovely Bonny Glen in that Virginia setting.

And that Scott would have to go to a regular job each day!!!

I'm sorry. Your life has become like a storybook to me. I'm caught up in the fairytale and hate to think that your family will become like the rest of us.    

Okay, that's out of my system. I guess everything is truly an adventure, huh?

Your family is in my prayers and I hope and pray for your peace and discernment. God Bless!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Lissa,

My parents live in Oceanside. Escondido and San Marcos are right next to Oceanside. There is a new University in San Marcos, and lots of new construction all over the area. Yes, it is expensive, but Southern CA housing prices are just nuts all over. The commute from Oceanside to La Jolla is very direct, and would take about 20-30 minutes with no traffic. With traffic, it could be an hour. I don't know what your dh's job will be, but if he could avoid the morning and evening communtes, it shouldn't be bad to get to and from La Jolla from North County.

The only parish I've been to is the Mission in Oceanside. I don't really care for the Sunday morning masses, because they are held in the cavern-like Serra Center, a multi-purpose hall with a big projection screen and moveable chairs. The Saturday evening mass is in the old mission church, which is lovely. Being in an area with a large Hispanic population, there are a lot of parishes to choose from. Matthew Lickona lives in San Diego...maybe you could email him and get his input on parishes, neighborhoods, homeschooling communities, etc. Just a thought.

Good luck!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version