Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Ring tones Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2006 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Yesterday, I left my three little ones with a friend and took the next three to run errands. I was in the linen department at Target, pretty far from home, when I heard what sounded like my littlest saying, "Mommy, pick up your phone. Pick up your phone, Mommy. Pick it up now." It was the absolute eeriest feeling. So I did what any other crazed mother would do. I rummaged through my purse and found my cell phone. Sure enough, THAT was my ringtone! Apparently, Christian thought that would be just hilarious.

I only use my cellphone when I'm away from home and I don't really like it because it invariably interrupts what I'm doing to bring me news of some kind of scheduling stress.

I can't deal with the Katie "ringtone" for very long; it's unnevering to hear her talking from my purse. Dh and Michael have downloaded music for their phones. I considered and discarded "Take me out to the ballgame." Nah, that's baseball and not soccer. Can't claim it as my theme song.

But this morning, I read my theme song on Donna's blog and now I know what my phone's gonna sing. It's perfect. And I need the frequent reminder of it's message.

What does your phone sound like?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I know it was eerie for you, but that is just about the funniest thing I have ever heard!!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2006 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

That is very funny! I'm so technologically challenged that I didn't even know you could do that with a cell phone. My old cell phone just plays Ode to Joy when dh calls and something called Circus when it's anyone else. I would love to have a special ring tone, but I doubt it will happen. I have had a blog for months that I am still struggling to set up, and dh gave me an MP3 player that I don't even understand the instructions to.   

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 25 2006 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Lisa,
You need a teenager to teach you these things. Apparently, they were born knowing .

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2006 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm personally opposed to ring tones. Seriously, I forget and they ring at inappropriate times, so I keep mine on "Manner mode" which is vibrator. I have pretty keen hearing, so I can hear it in the house, or out I can usually feel the vibrations. Just saves on the rattle of my nerves with the ring tone.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2006 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I'm such a technophobe, I had dh program my ringtone for me. I had no idea what one he picked or what it would sound like. The first time it went off - loudly - I was tucked in the book corner at the quiet peaceful Carmelite gift shop.    Fortunately, though, I got a few approving smiles, as the song was "Allelluia!"

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2006 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Dawn wrote:
Fortunately, though I got a few approving smiles, as the song was "Allelluia!"

Hope it wasn't during Lent.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2006 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Elizabeth wrote:
Lisa,
You need a teenager to teach you these things. Apparently, they were born knowing .

Hmmm, I need to find one that I can borrow!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2006 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

JennGM wrote:
Dawn wrote:
Fortunately, though I got a few approving smiles, as the song was "Allelluia!"

Hope it wasn't during Lent.

Nope, my mum and I were Christmas shopping!   

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 25 2006 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

Elizabeth - when my mom came to visit us a few weeks ago, she made a ringtone of my 4yodd saying "Gramma pick up the phone. Grammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmma pick up the phooooone."

Mine? Just a normal little tune that came with the phone. Set to really really really low because I'm not really a fan of the phone and low ringtones make it easy to ignore. Our home phone plays "Irish Eyes" and is set to really low volume - really easy to ignore.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2006 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Elizabeth wrote:

What does your phone sound like?

I don't have a clue.
I have 3 teenagers who randomly change my ring tone.   
Since I don't know how to do this, I'm at their mercy.

And I've forbidden any downloading of ringtones. Again, I don't know how it's done and we were always getting little download charges on the phone bill when we first signed the contract. Everyone pleaded ignorance and innocence, so we forbid it all together.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2006 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

I have Bach's Menuet...who said ring tones can't be educational???

Isn't that Real Learning?

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2006 at 4:22am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Please, please don't mention ringtones ... see this embarrassing blog entry. Ugh

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2006 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Kathryn, this is why my ringtone is set to "When the Saints Come Marching In." I figure with my memory it is inevitable it will ring in church one day. At least it is singing about saints.

I have no idea how to download a ringtone but it sounds like a fun idea. I did download Ms. Pacman and Tetris on the phone which I have been known to play while waiting for karate to be over.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2006 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

My friend's cell plays 'Stand by your man' when her dh calls from his cell. It plays somethings else for all other calls.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2006 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote kristina

We usually use our cellphone to keep in touch with each other when one of us goes out. We usually forget it when we go to church. (That must be my guardian angel working hard.) Ringing in church is just something that would likely happen to me.

I don't have a teenager (..yet) to customize our ringtone, but our old computer would alert me with my (at the time) 3yr old saying "Mummmm you have mail." I almost did not want to upgrade for that reason alone.

When we got this phone I downloaded a Bob Marley track for when home calls the cell and tracks by "The Cars" for all other calls. Our previous phone would play the "Bob the Builder" theme when my mom would call to the delight of our children. To their dismay (and my relief) our current phone did not offer that ringtone.

We had to replace our home phone recently and even that has ringtones. Now when the phone rings at home, we hear Vivaldi's "Spring." ...technology.

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: June 26 2006 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Libby composed ours--a tango!--but when Don's brother calls, it rings the Monty Python's Flying Circus theme (which has a real name, I know, but no one remembers it).

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 26 2006 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Currently I have no ring-tone - the sound isn't working so have to rely on the vibrate option. But in the past I have had "Take me out to the ballgame" - it is our pasttime here. Also this spring we changed it several times to go with the composer of the month study - a Mozart one for January, Handel for April, etc. Also had Coldplay's "Clocks" for awhile but if it went off in the car I always mistook it for the radio being on.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2006 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Can't say much about mine at present...can't remember! But in my choir a friend has "Gaudete" and I said to my children the other day, we should find out how to get it since we love that piece!

cay wrote:
I don't have a clue.
I have 3 teenagers who randomly change my ring tone.    
Since I don't know how to do this, I'm at their mercy.

Yep, I know what that is like...we were in Mass one morning years ago (sitting up the front this day) and I could here "Waltizing Matilda" (famous Australian ballad) and I was "thinking whose's that?...not me!"     It WAS me! I had forgotten to turn my phone off and Jack had been at my ring tones again.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version