Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: US Flag/Patriotic Unit Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 13 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Between Flag Day (June 14) and Independence Day (July 4) we are going to be doing a United States Flag unit study. Care to join us?

Facts about flags in general

This is a nice general flag history picture book Flags Over America: A Star Spangled Story

Stars and Stripes: The Story of the American Flag - Excellent picture book tells the story of the various versions of the American flag. Each page features a different time period or flag. There are notes on the flags at the front of the book which gives historic notes on the flag featured by page. End note addresses the legend/myth of Betsy Ross. The pictures are full page, very bold and dynamic opposite the text page.

American Flags: Designs for a Young Country is a small coffee table type book with a folksy feel. Each page features a historic American flag from pre-Revolution to early 1900s. I was amazed at the variations we have had to the flag through the years - more complex topic than my impression of "just adding a star." Also includes a variety of historic flags beyond the US Flag - like political party flags, battle/war flags, and all the variations that individual flag makers incorporated into their specific designs - not as uniform as I would have thought at any given time in history. Well done.

The Stars and the Stripes: The American Flag as Art and as History from the Birth of the Republic to the Present - a coffee table book of flag/patriotic Americana in art, including historical changes in US flags

Children's Non-Fiction titles about the US Flag:
   From Cloth to American Flag - photographic depiction of the making of a modern US flag
   The American Flag - lots of interesting facts and history, photo illustrations
   The American Flag - timeline, craft, history, facts all in one
   The Flag We Love - poetic look at the flag. Each page is a stanza about the flag and what it represents and where it is flown, with a fact box below. Nice illustrations.

Website rabbit trails on flag history:
    Flag website - includes history of the flag, representations of the various flags through history, patriotic writings, and interesting flag facts/FAQs, & "how to fold the flag" sections
   A good historical view of flags of the US
   Ben's Guide - US symbols: the flag

The Flag Maker is the story of Caroline Pickersgill and her mother, Mary, a Baltimore flagmaker commissioned to sew the huge Fort McHenry flag that inspired the "Star-Spangled Banner." Picture book story focusing on young Caroline's part in this piece of history. Tells much about Baltimore during this period of the War of 1812. Detailed illustrations show life in an early 19th century US city.

A Flag for the Fort (Carl Carmer) - Chapter book, historical fiction

Website rabbit trails on Mary Pickersgill:
   The Flag House & Star-Spangled Banner Museum
   Mary Young Pickersgill

By the Dawn's Early Light - story book depiction of the writing of the Star Spangled Banner by Francis Scott Key. Beautiful illustrations with an "old" feel.
Other Star Spangled Banner books:
Peter Spier's Star Spangled Banner
The Star Spangled Banner illustrated by Ingri & Edgar Parin D'Aulaire,
Star Spangled Banner
The Star Spangled Banner
The Star Spangled Banner

Website rabbit trails on Star Spangled Banner & Francis Scott Key:
   Fort McHenry website 1 & website 2
   Smithsonian Institute's Star Spangled Banner site - incredible site, lots of interactive info, also several audio versions of the song.
   Francis Scott Key

Hold the Flag High - powerful picture book story of Sgt. William Carney, first African-American to earn the Congressional Medal of Honor. Tells the story of Carney's actions/experience during the Battle of Fort Wagner, one of the first occasions when black troops were sent into combat during the Civil War. Involves courageous display of the flag. Very interesting story of an incident we don't usually hear about in the textbooks.

Website rabbit trails on William Carney:
    Black Bostonians and the Civil War: The 54th Massachusetts Regiment
    Carney Story
    “Boys the old flag never touched the ground” song lyrics
    The Old Flag Never Touched the Ground painting

Flag Day - Non-fiction children's book on the history of the celebration in the US known as Flag Day.
    Flag Day website - includes crafts, trivia, etiquette, Flag Day cards,
    Flag Day printables
    American Flag Foundation has educational resources for Flag Day
    Fact Monster Flag Day/Flag info

Activities
-Learn how to properly fold and fly a flag, then practice.
-Learn to hand sew some strips of fabric, basic stitches
-While out driving, count the number of American flags you see flying. What kinds of places fly flags? Compare the number you see on Flag Day, 4th of July to other days.
-Discuss flags used as signals, other means of signaling throughout history. Another interesting history picture book about secret signals is The Scarlet Stocking Spy.
   International Maritime Signals
   - And fun interactive site where you type in words and maritime signals appear
   Semiphore Flag Signalling System
   - And another fun interactive at this site where you enter text and it translates to semiphore
- Make a list of all the nicknames you can think of for the US flag. Find out where the names originated if you can.
-Find out about your state flag – what are the symbols and meaning?
-Compare the US flag to flags of other countries.
-Stars and Stripes Windchime
-Ribbon Door Flag

Recipes
Flag Berry Tart
Flag Cookies
Star Shaped Short Cakes
Fourth of July Cupcakes
Angel Food Flag
Star Spangled Crispies
All American Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Music - click on link to hear the song
Star Spangled Banner
Grand Old Flag
Stars and Stripes Forever
Johnny Cash's - The Ragged Old Flag audio

CD Compilations
America's Favorite Patriotic Songs
Patriotic Songs and Marches

Gather the troops for a rousing game of "Capture the Flag"

After completing this study you will be a vexillologist!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2006 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

WOW! That is one amazing unit!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2006 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Incredible!

Excellent unit to train vexillologists!!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 13 2006 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I love when you get your creative juices flowing and share it all for us! Thanks, Mary!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2006 at 5:05am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Mary, these are wonderful ideas! Thank you so much for sharing them!!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2006 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Mary,

I'm printing this all out now and wanted to add my THANKS. Awesome!!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2006 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Thanks from me, too, Mary!

I've put the books on hold and look forward to this.

I love the way the tart looks! Yum!

Thanks, again!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2006 at 1:01am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I found two more books for your flag unit, Mary.

I Pledge Allegiance is a very cute book by Bill Martin, Jr. with simple red, white, and blue pictures for younger children.

United We Stand: Flying the American Flag is an awesome little book that shows over 100 of the major magazines that featured an image of the American flag on its cover to celebrate Independence Day in 1942 in response to Pearl Harbor. The different pictures of the flags are great, but so is looking at all the different magazine titles of old. There are also lyrics to patriotic songs and flag poems scattered throughtout. I'd like to own this one!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 22 2006 at 2:56am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I'm glad that others have been interested in the unit study. We have learned a lot putting it together and are enjoying the study.

Thanks for your suggestions, Erica. Of course any US flag study should include discussion of the Pledge of Allegiance. Don't know how I left that out other than it was just getting so long. The book you recommended looks good - as does this one: The Pledge of Allegiance. I'm excited about the United We Stand book since it deals with the flag in art. I just requested it from the library and am anxious to see it. Just last night I was putting the art lift-up prints in the Artistic Pursuits book and came across the Jasper Johns Three Flags print. It triggered an interest in including flag representations in American art into the unit study. I spent some time last night searching for art/artists and was going to post in the next few days so thanks for the nudge.

Norman Rockwell has many prints which include patriotic and flag themes. Many are included here - a couple I really liked were the "Mending the Flag" and "Salute the Flag."

Childe Hassam, American Impressionist (1859-1935) is another artist whose works often included flags.

Charles Wilson Peale, Colonial artist (1741-1827) - George Washington at Princeton

John Trumbull - Surrender of Cornwallis

Emanuel Leutze - George Washington Crossing the Delaware

Guy Carleton Wiggins (1883-1962) - also influenced by the Impressionists and known for NY City scapes in winter - most feature US flags like this one - 5th Ave @ 56th Street in Winter. Other similar pictures here.

Jennie Brownscombe (1850-1936) known for her 18th and 19th century historical scenes -Examining the Flag

Ansel Adams as part of his documentary photographs of Manzanar had some photos which included flags - example

And sculptures like the USMC Memorial (Iwo Jima) and Harry Jackson's The Flag Bearer.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2006 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Mary,

You are the internet-search-and-link queen!! This looks amazing....again!! Thanks so much for taking the time to link to all of the sites/images. I can't wait to go through them all with the kids.

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2006 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Hi Ladies,

We made the flag berry tart that Mary posted in her unit and it was yummy....we used strawberries instead of raspberries ($ - too high!).

Also, wanted to add this book to your studies!

We found it at our library and read it tonight!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 28 2006 at 2:52am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Sounds yummy, Maria. We haven't done any of the food yet .

I also wanted to mention a book that I have been reading for myself as we have been doing the study - Flags of Our Fathers. It was an excellent read and I'm not one for war stories. It is the story of the six men who are shown in the famous photo of the flag raising at Iwo Jima. It was written by the son of one of the flag raisers after his father's death. The image is so recognizaable to US citizens and is one many people think of when they think of flag depictions in art. I had no idea of the story behind this photo - or that it is considered the most reproduced photo. The book chronicles the lives of the six men from childhood, to enlistment, to how they ended up together at Iwo Jima, the battle for the island, the flag raising, the ensuing battle and the return of the survivors to the US, and the lives of the families whose son's didn't survive.

Like everyone else, I studied WWII- the Pacific front in school but it never hit home and came to life. I am still amazed at all that I learned reading this book - it's an amazing living book. It's a great adult read and also for some older teens - a couple incidents of adult theme and also very brutal descriptions of the battles and loss of life. Two of the flag raisers were Catholic (one being the author's father, John Bradley) so there are many references to the faith. John Bradley was a very devout Catholic and I liked that the book included that. I think the idea behind it is a novel one - explore indepth an image that all are familiar with, but really know nothing about.

Our Domestic Church

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Bumping this up for another Flag day....it's this Thursday!

Theresa H
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 13 2007 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa H

As I am new to the forum, thank you for this information. What great ideas and information.

Theresa from OK
Married 15 years, 4 children: 3 boys and a girl
Back to Top View Theresa H's Profile Search for other posts by Theresa H

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2007 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

YES!!! Just what I needed!
I got a CD of patriotic music out of the library today but no time to look for books...awesome!
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2007 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Hey Theresa from OK, I've been married for 14 years this fall and I also have 1 dd and 3 ds's!! Welcome to this GREAT group!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Theresa H
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 14 2007 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Theresa H

Hi Meredith,
Thank you for the welcome. Our children are boys 13, 10, & 7, and girl 17mos. We've finished our 2nd year of homeschooling and wish we had started from the beginning. Just didn't realize it was an option until we met several homeschoolers and talked to them. This forum has been great!

Theresa from OK
Married 15 years, 4 children: 3 boys and a girl
Back to Top View Theresa H's Profile Search for other posts by Theresa H

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I got some of the books you recommended when I was at the library this week, Mary, And coincidentally, my mom sent me this picture of a   flag made of flowers. I thought the one flown over Ft. McHenry was huge....

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 24 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

That is an amazing flag - I can't imagine 24 ft. stars!

Thanks for sharing, Rachel.

Our Domestic Church

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2007 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

In case there are any books listed here that haven't been mentioned already:

4th of July & 9-11

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version