Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Feast of St. John Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 12 2006 at 12:59am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Any wonderfully creative suggestions for this upcoming feast day? We usually have a bonfire, but things are so dry this year, don't know if that will be a go. Anyone else have a special way they celebrate this feast?

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: June 12 2006 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Just for fun...why not serve dried food-grade crickets? See them here. They come in flavors . For a sweeter treat, try insects in amber flavored candy.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2006 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote Christine

Macbeth,
My dad would love you! As a child, I once ate chocolate covered bee larva. A year ago, my children ate fried wasps, courtesy of my dad (I could not bring myself to taste one).

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Macbeth,

You are the queen of ambered insects!    You made this same suggestion for dinosaur camp last year and the insects in amber were a huge hit. My great nephew is still talking about it.

Kelly in FL

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2006 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Kelly wrote:
Macbeth, the queen of ambered insects!

Now THAT is a title to be envied!!!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: June 13 2006 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

ladybugs wrote:
Kelly wrote:
Macbeth, the queen of ambered insects!

Now THAT is a title to be envied!!!

And by royal decree...no munching on ladybugs !

OK, now that we are totally off-topic, anyone have any other ideas for St. John?

How about a play? A reenactment of the action at the Jordan would be fun.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2006 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I'm answering my own thread...but I just read the idea about Jiffy Flaming Desserts on the St. Anthony thread and that sounded appropriate for a St. John bonfire-ish celebration, too.

Kelly in FL

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2006 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I've got a few ideas, but I'll have to post them in a few days.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2006 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Here are some outdoor firefly lanterns that might work in lieu of a bonfire.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 15 2006 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

For fire ideas, that aren't bonfires, Monica McConkey in her Treasure Chest of Traditions for Catholic Families suggests making tin lanterns out of empty tin cans. Clean and fill the cans with water and freeze them. When frozen, punch out patterns on the outside of the can. Then remove the ice and use candles or tealights to light up the lanterns.

Not only are bonfires a huge tradition all over Europe, but sometimes jumping the bonfires, or at least the ashes. As an aside, it's interesting that the retelling of these traditions never mention any injuries that might have happened.

So, what about jumping over a candlestick? I was thinking of the nursery rhyme "Jack be nimble, Jack be Quick, Jack jump over the candlestick" and came across this explanation of possible orgin and history of the rhyme which possibly suggests the bonfire jumping might have been the origin of this rhyme....you never know!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2006 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

What about the outdoor fire pits that are so popular now???

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 16 2006 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
Not only are bonfires a huge tradition all over Europe, but sometimes jumping the bonfires, or at least the ashes. As an aside, it's interesting that the retelling of these traditions never mention any injuries that might have happened.

Gosh, I just read this link in Amy Welborn's blog about the tragedy in the Portuguese community with their upcoming festival. I know it wasn't the actual festival...but...

Read the other links to get the full story.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 16 2006 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Jenn,
Thank you for sharing that link. The deaths are tragic and we will be praying for those victims and their families. Reading about this I made several mental connections that I had not ever really put together - duh!. My father-in-law is Portuguese - his family is from the Azore Islands where I now see this devotion is strongly held. My in-laws and the older sister-in-laws have always talked about the "Festas" (festivals) they participated in when living in California and I know they are celebrated on various religious feast days. My sister-in-laws were princesses in the processions. I had never realized the connection to the Holy Ghost - clearly that is the most popular of the festas. When my husband was about 12 they moved to Oregon and no longer had the strong Portuguese community and those traditions around them so this is not really so much a part of his memories. We do have a video tape made from old home movies and I know it has some festa coverage in it - probably for the Holy Ghost festival. I'll have to dig that out and watch it to see.

I am very aware of the soup they describe as being served at the festas- the meat, cabbage, bread soup - called sopas. I had it on a couple of ocassions - not a fan of soggy bread, I had trouble getting it down - my fil teases me about that. This discussion reminded me of an Azore Islands recipe website I have bookmarked. And sure enough I checked it and there are lots of Holy Ghost festa recipes.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 16 2006 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
This discussion reminded me of an Azore Islands recipe website I have bookmarked. And sure enough I checked it and there are lots of Holy Ghost festa recipes.

So glad you made the connection. I didn't mean to be all gloom and doom posting the link...I thought the religious aspect was interesting, and now your expansion on it has helped me even further! Next year we'll remember about these Holy Ghost recipes for Pentecost...although, I'm with you on the soggy bread.

KASB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 18 2006 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote KASB

My oldest son suggested we drink Grasshoppers

http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/315/

Blessings,
Kym
mom to 9 (8 boys- 23,13,10,8,7,4,2,10 mos. and 1 girl-22)
Back to Top View KASB's Profile Search for other posts by KASB

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2006 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Oh, I like that Grasshoppers drink idea! We didn't get that organized (this year) nor did I order the candied crickets BUT we were able to get our bonfire going afterall. In the Latin American tradition, we roasted sausages and generally enjoyed the kumbaya ambience. Discussed St. John the Baptist as we flamed those marshmallows, and capped it all off with a campout in the backyard (Dawn, how did your campout go...are we conquering our mutual Fear of Camping, you suppose???? ). Fell asleep listening to crickets as opposed to eating them!

Next year, we'll get more elaborate, thanks to all these great ideas.

Kelly in FL

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2006 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Kelly wrote:
Oh, I like that Grasshoppers drink idea! We didn't get that organized (this year) nor did I order the candied crickets BUT we were able to get our bonfire going afterall. In the Latin American tradition, we roasted sausages and generally enjoyed the kumbaya ambience. Discussed St. John the Baptist as we flamed those marshmallows, and capped it all off with a campout in the backyard.

Kelly, I'm confused. Did you celebrate St. John's feast day early for a reason? The 24th is the actual feast.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2006 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Yes, we did it a little early this year due to the extreme dryness. We had a torrent of rain on Monday, which dampened things enough for an early bonfire this weekend-but I was worried about things drying up again. Plus, we had Episcopal guests over the weekend, thought a little Stealth Evangelism wouldn't hurt!

Can it be St. John's Feast WEEK???

Kelly in dry Fl

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2006 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

PS Maybe we can still work in those Grasshopper drinks on the Real feast day!

Kelly in FL

rebeccaf10
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 27 2006 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote rebeccaf10

I know I am late on this, but we usually bring out the children's baptism candles and place them by a cake. We celebrate all of their baptism dates on this one day. We didn't this year because of numbers of reasons.   
Rebecca in Michigan

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version