Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Lapbooking/notebooks expensive? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 07 2006 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

This is such a new concept for me - I have seen examples of people's work and I have alot of questions that I hope I get to ask somewhere down the track, but my first few questions are - do you find this very expensive? All the coloured cardboard, paper and so on, that goes into making these sort of things? How many would you attempt with your children in a year? Do you set yourselves a particular budget for these endevours and what do you find yourselves spending in this area?

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2006 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I don't find it expensive at all. Every once in a while we buy a new pack of cardstock and some page protectors and that's about it.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2006 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Expensive it has not been for us,, just creatively challegeing for me    My dc love to lapbook and I failed miserably the first time I tried to fold one of those darn file folders, but we got the hang of it and we've got a few under our belt! Theresa has some beautiful books on her site, I would definately chesck them out and most of what we lapbook with is around the house or printed off the web (pictures, maps, etc) so the cost is very little, my dh loves that Try the rabbit trail forum for examples of some super ideas!! Have fun!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2006 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Thank you both - I will look at Theresa's site. I do know what you mean Meredith I am greatly challenged when it comes to anything that even looks a bit art and crafty and so this will be good for me in trying to acquire the virtue of patience.

I am so used to buying coloured board just from the Newsagency for the odd things we have done, and I am sure that I am paying the highest price possible.   Obviously I will need to check out bulk prices, specials ect when I eventually 'throw' myself into this new endevour with the children (I know they will love it) next term is not far away, I will be planning for that I think.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2006 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Anne,
Thought I'd share some places to buy. I like to buy cheap, so my first port of call about once a term is to my local printers, they let me take any paper off cuts for free. Sometimes we have some lovely selections of paper.

Also check out Crazy Clark's or the Wharehouse, I bought a huge bundle of coloured paper from there a while back. It sits on top of the shelf in a manilla folder and is only used for notebooking, very effective.

Another place I recently purchased from was Big W, I bought 100 scrapbooking sheets for $8, they were bright fluro colours, also another 100 for $9 these ones had all different types of backgrounds. You need to cut these down to A4 if that is your notebook size, which mine is.

If you are wanting to spend a little more for a liturgical notebook, FHC notebook etc, you can buy some beautiful sheets from Trademark Catholic Stationery
Beth Burns a homeschooling mother sells these, she is located in Lismore NSW and can be contacted via Stationery Orders [stationery.orders@yahoo.com.au]. If you go to the above site you can see what she carries and it is the same price as the American cost All you pay extra is postage to your house. Any profits which Beth makes, which obvioulsy is little goes to support the Carmelite Sisters of Lismore.

My budget for notebooking is not very high, our notebooking is enjoyable but not elaborate, I am also artitiscally challenged, but I decided to just jump in and do the best to our ability. Probably alot more basic than some but if I worried about others we would never start. My idea with our notebooking is for the children to have something to look back on that is visually apppealing, and will jolt their memories of what they have learnt. A recors of their learning for that year.

As for how many a year- only one. Ours is just an ongoing collection of any work we do, you may be able to tell here that we don't write much Whenver we do a unit I endeavour to get about one sheet per week from each child, this goes into a display folder. At the end of the year we bind it with different 'title' pages. ie. Creative writing, poetry, unit work etc. So really it is a collection of all their work for the year except for their maths books and handwriting books. Part of this was I realise homeschooling is for the long term and as I have a few children I don't want to have books everywhere, I want to have something meaningful for each year.

I guess maybe mine might be different from everyone else's I don't know as I've never seen anyone's except for a few photos on here. Although this year for the first time we are doing a First Holy Communion notebook (Malachi and I) and I will probably bind that separately. BTW I bought my binder off ebay, although being in the city you would be able to get cheaper rates at your binding shop than I can.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2006 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Thanks so much Erin for the Australian perspective when it comes to the actual buying - I was looking through K-Mart tonight, and I was thinking to myself, "Why had I been buying from Newsagencies?!?!"   

Thank you for your info on Beth - I am about to sell it up here in Brissy for Beth so I will have a good choice to buy from - all in front of me. (So beautiful the stationery!)

Do you know of many girls in Australia who do lapbooks with their children? This is so new to me - and exciting in a way, (I think I have had a very narrow view of things for a long time).

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I am so glad that Erin could give some local advice! We buy our page protectors and colored file folders in bulk at Sam's, and card stock in bulk at Hobby Lobby when it's on sale, but that's not helpful info to you ladies in Australia! We do use the printer a lot (color copies and b&w outlines that they color), and sometimes stickers. The kids make their own "stickers" too, cutting out tiny illustrations they've made on white paper and gluing them to their lapbooks. Other than the initial cost of stocking up, it doesn't cost any more than regular narration or art projects. One option is to do one big family lapbook for each unit. I know that some people do this just because it's easier when you have lots of littles involved, but it would save on cost too, and be a great family project.

We don't have a set number of lapbooks that we try to do each year. We did 5 this year, and 2 last year when we were first learning. We've done a couple of scrapbook style units, similar to what Theresa has on her blog (only not nearly as nice and cool as hers!). Sometimes I specifically ask that the boys do a lapbook for a unit. Often, I just suggest it and they take off from there, making up their own folds if necessary. Some of our lapbooks have been more elaborate, but others have been rather basic and small. The great thing about this medium is that it is so accommodating! And one of my sons is a very visual learner, so for him, it really does help cement learning more than plain narration.

The best advice I've heard about putting it all together is to wait until you're done with the unit before you start the lapbook. At first, we jumped right into folding and gluing, and found that things didn't fit properly in the lapbook areas we had available. With the last few, the boys planned and laid things out, but didn't glue anything down until all was ready.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote Erin

aussieannie wrote:
Do you know of many girls in Australia who do lapbooks with their children? This is so new to me - and exciting in a way, (I think I have had a very narrow view of things for a long time).

A few friends but as they are all long distance I have never seen their work either I have friends here who talk about it but unsure that they have actually done anything One friend says they have but its HER work not the kids

I'm intrigued as to what you feel is your narrow view. If I can be so bold.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: June 08 2006 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Erin wrote:
One friend says they have but its HER work not the kids

The boys and I each started sailing lapbooks last fall. I was hoping that the hands-on aspect would help me cement my learning. The boys finished theirs, but I never finished mine, and I still have a long way to go as a sailor!   

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2006 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

My ds and I do his notebooks together. He does all of the content, of course, but I will help him decide on attractive ways to display his work. He appreciates that I find his work valuable enough to put thought and effort into the final product. We discuss methods and materials he might use, and then he puts it together. I find it a great way to spend time reflecting over work he has done, talking about what he learned and what interested him the most. Putting the notebook together is a valuable part of the process for us. Every notebook is different depending on the type of work he has produced and they even vary in style from page to page. This is why we usually wait until the end of a unit to put them together-we never know what content the end product will need to accomodate. We do try to unify a notebook by using coordinating color or materials throughout.
Hope that helps.
I recently added to my sidebar pages for photos of his Christmas notebook, Dragon notebook, and Pirate notebook, but for some reason the Pirate one gets an error message. I will try to fix that today if I can. I also plan on adding more written descriptions to the pictures as time allows.
And I have his new notebook cover up today-fairies!

OK, I think I have the Pirate notebook page fixed.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2006 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I don't find it expensive at all. We use lots of cardstock (lots) when we lapbook. We use to use construction paper but cardstock holds up to much better and looks so much nicer.

We cut out pictures from old workbooks instead of throwing them away (most do go in the trash except for ones with great pictures in them).

My eight-year-old and I have finally gotten around to her American Girl lapbook. She wants it done in a notebook the way we did our Liturgical Year notebook but I still plan to have her *lap* some of them. The good thing with notebooking is that the lapbooks can be stored inside of them and you can expand more.

For the American Girl lapbook/notebook, we've collected all the American Girl catalogues they send in the mail for free. Not sure if you gals receive them over there. My girls drool and literally spend hours looking through them. We've cut out the first row of girls (like last month ) and still need to lamanate them. It'll be a summertime activity, that's for sure.   

Except for the binder though, I'm really not having to buy anything. Perhaps I'll try keeping a list of what I do have to buy...if I can remember to do so.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2006 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

lapazfarm wrote:
I recently added to my sidebar pages for photos of his Christmas notebook, Dragon notebook, and Pirate notebook,

And I have his new notebook cover up today-fairies!

Oh, yea!!! I love your ds's notebooks. They are terrific!!!    

Can't wait to see this new one.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Cay Gibson wrote:
For the American Girl lapbook/notebook, we've collected all the American Girl catalogues they send in the mail for free. Not sure if you gals receive them over there. My girls drool and literally spend hours looking through them. We've cut out the first row of girls (like last month ) and still need to lamanate them. It'll be a summertime activity, that's for sure.

We cut all the girls out too, and their accessories, and their pets, etc... but turned them into paper dolls rather than a lapbook, most of the midsized pictures are all the same size and I covered them with wide clear packing tape. Ta-Da!!! Dd now has an American Girl collection that I would never buy her and would never fit in her cabin.
(Did I mention every doll? Oh, the blisters on my poor fingers!)

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2006 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

lapazfarm wrote:
My ds and I do his notebooks together. He does all of the content, of course, but I will help him decide on attractive ways to display his work. He appreciates that I find his work valuable enough to put thought and effort into the final product. We discuss methods and materials he might use, and then he puts it together. I find it a great way to spend time reflecting over work he has done, talking about what he learned and what interested him the most. Putting the notebook together is a valuable part of the process for us. Every notebook is different depending on the type of work he has produced and they even vary in style from page to page. This is why we usually wait until the end of a unit to put them together-we never know what content the end product will need to accomodate. We do try to unify a notebook by using coordinating color or materials throughout.

This is how it works for us too and the dc really do find the final product very rewarding and return to them quite often to refer to their work or to show it off to anyone who will take a look!! i have learned right along with them as well and know pretty well now how much each child likes to put into their own books!! This works the same for any Notebooking we do too!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2006 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

One place I love to order from (for anything), but especially to get some neat things for lapbooking/notebooking is Miller Pads and Paper. Here's the link:
Miller Pads and Paper

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2006 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Erin wrote:

That's ok - I have never venture far from my comfort zone - well I didn't know there was so much to explore, I suppose - I had people recommend to me when I started out the LEM Phonics (Australian version of Spalding), Rod&Staff, my Seton workbooks and so my life has been based on those sort of things - I haven't thought about the fact that a lapbook could give my children their art, any other subject depending on the topic being done, all your English/grammar based subjects in them writing stories ect that obviously is all covered in a lapbook. For example we are working through a Seton Art book very methodically and now I can see that I can still teach them the colour wheel ect ect through doing it hands on in a lap book.

What frightens me is how much time will it involve and will it cut too much into these workbooks which I now realise I am frightened to let go of in any way. Does this makes sense or is it the ramblings of someone who does seem to know WHAT she is doing?! But I can also see how wonderful all is by all the different blogs I have visited - it is like looking through a porthole onto something beautiful that I don't know quite how to grasp - a new world that is much wider and deeper but a little confusing as I really don't know yet how to go about making any great changes or maybe how to have a mixture of it all with ease.

eschuetter
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 08 2006 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote eschuetter

As a new-comer to the idea of notebooks/lapbooks... could someone share the difference between the two... NOTEbooks versus LAPbooks???

thanks for the insight....

Erica

btw, as my boys are just going on 5 and 2... any advice on doing notebooks with small kids is appreciated as well...   
Back to Top View eschuetter's Profile Search for other posts by eschuetter

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: June 08 2006 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Erica, This thread should answer some of your questions. I don't have time to find more info right now!

Theresa,
Can you put links up to your son's notebooks? I think that they are great examples!

I know that there are examples out there of Easter Vigil notebooks done according to Alice's plans too. Maybe later I can search.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2006 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Theresa wrote:
My ds and I do his notebooks together. He does all of the content, of course, but I will help him decide on attractive ways to display his work. He appreciates that I find his work valuable enough to put thought and effort into the final product. We discuss methods and materials he might use, and then he puts it together. I find it a great way to spend time reflecting over work he has done, talking about what he learned and what interested him the most. Putting the notebook together is a valuable part of the process for us. Every notebook is different depending on the type of work he has produced and they even vary in style from page to page.

Theresa and Janette,
I hope you realised what Theresa describes wasn't what I meant when I refered to a mother doing ALL the work. I also do this sort of sharing/collabaration with my children.   They like and need the discussion, brainstorming and just simple help, particularly the younger ones.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2006 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

aussieannie wrote:
Erin wrote:

That's ok - I have never venture far from my comfort zone - well I didn't know there was so much to explore, I suppose - I had people recommend to me when I started out the LEM Phonics (Australian version of Spalding), Rod&Staff, my Seton workbooks and so my life has been based on those sort of things - I haven't thought about the fact that a lapbook could give my children their art, any other subject depending on the topic being done, all your English/grammar based subjects in them writing stories ect that obviously is all covered in a lapbook. .

Wow Anne,
I imagine about now your head must be whirling with all sorts of ideas and thoughts at present.

aussieannie wrote:
What frightens me is how much time will it involve and will it cut too much into these workbooks which I now realise I am frightened to let go of in any way.

Are you just talking notebook/lapbooks here or also other parts of edcuation in a non-workbook way?

This is just my opinion, others may disagree but to try and do it all will be too much. There may come a time when you realise you can let go of some of your workbooks if you are already covering those areas in other ways. Notebooking does take up time, however so many skills are learnt this way.

aussieannie wrote:
But I can also see how wonderful all is by all the different blogs I have visited - it is like looking through a porthole onto something beautiful that I don't know quite how to grasp - a new world that is much wider and deeper but a little confusing as I really don't know yet how to go about making any great changes or maybe how to have a mixture of it all with ease.

Anne
You have expressed this all so beautifully
If this is the journey that you feel YOUR family is to go on you have certainly come to the right place here on the forum. But remember it is easy to feel overwhelmed trying to reproduce yourself into someone else. You must discern what is for you and make changes in manageable size bits. Sometimes today there is such a wealth of information and resources that we can nearly drown.
However if this is the direction you are called to it is a wonderful journey and varied and rich.

I don't feel I've been very clear here. I think there is so much I want to say I don't know where to begin. Could I excuse a mushy brain on pregnancy?

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version