Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: good colleges for music majors? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 19 2006 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

lapazfarm wrote:
Just wanted to update on dd.
She had her first private oboe lesson with a professor at the local university last week. It went very well, and the teacher was very pleased with her and told her that if she sticks with it she should be able to get a scholarship, as they really need talented oboeists at this university and many others!

That is great new, Theresa! Oboeists have always been lacking...it's hard to keep up "the lip" -- my former boss switched to oboe because it was in demand for orchestras and bands.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Great news! We're happy for your daughter. Hey wouldn't it be grand to get all this aspiring musicians together! Wish we weren't all spread across the country!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2006 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Janet mentioned attending music school summer camps, so I just wanted to make a plug for Florida State U's Summer Music Camp. One of my dds is attending their string camp now, and I have been VERY impressed with it. Even tho dd is struggling somewhat with the reading, I have to say, they are playing beautiful music and the camp is very well organized and well-run. Lots of supervision, and sharp teachers. I can't speak for the students who are boarding, because we're doing it as a day student, but the dorm they are in *is* one of the nicer ones (I believe), and the "management" seems to have lots of activities lined up for the students. Definitely a great way to get to know the school.

All this as a long way to second Janet's suggestion re: schools and aspiring music students!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

lovemusic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 18 2006 at 4:53am | IP Logged Quote lovemusic

I thought I would share what my daughter's violin teacher told me about majoring in music education. He said you need to be able to play the basics on all instruments (alot of the fingerings and things are the same or similar for various instruments), simple like "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and be very good on one instrument and almost every music major plays the piano better than just the basics.

Trace
Back to Top View lovemusic's Profile Search for other posts by lovemusic

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 18 2006 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Theresa,

I missed this the first time around - but I know Benedictine (in Kansas?) is another Catholic college with a music program - but I don't know too much about it.

Anne Marie in NM
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: July 18 2006 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Anne Marie M wrote:
Theresa,

I missed this the first time around - but I know Benedictine (in Kansas?) is another Catholic college with a music program - but I don't know too much about it.

Anne Marie in NM

YEs! I spoke at length with an alum from Benedictine at NACHE, and she was very enthusiastic about the music program, the atmosphere of the college, and the Catholic culture on campus.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version