Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: need help scheduling prayer time Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
setonmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 20 2016 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote setonmom

I need help with ordering my days and living a well ordered life where how I order time reflects my priorities. I am interested in what moms who have a schedule that works for them actually do. In particular how you put in the prayer time. I had been doing this first thing in the morning and thinking it was going great but then I just got too tired from waking up so early). Also realized I was ignoring my husband in the morning. But if I don;t do prayers first thing they have a way of not happening. I think I need to schedule a time mid day. Does something like this work for anyone? It seems like the moms who have it all together do prayers first thing. Advice?
Back to Top View setonmom's Profile Search for other posts by setonmom

setonmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 20 2016 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote setonmom

edited to change the title topic
Back to Top View setonmom's Profile Search for other posts by setonmom

Mom21
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 20 2016 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Mom21

I have always done prayers after I'm showered and dressed in the morning. I spend about 45 minutes in total among the Rosary, personal intentions/Catholic prayers and Missal readings. I also use drive time during the day to finish prayers that didn't get done in the morning. Also, I just have one son who's almost 15 so I don't have a lot of little ones needing my attention first thing in the morning!

Is there a reason why your husband needs attention in the morning that it would interfere with prayer time?
Back to Top View Mom21's Profile Search for other posts by Mom21

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 20 2016 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

My first question is.. Does your husband feel ignored? Because mine uses that morning time for his quiet time before heading off to work. He goes in fairly early so it's difficult for me to be up by then anyway. And it works for us. So my question is does it bother your husband that you're doing prayers then or is he happy to manage on his own then?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 21 2016 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I don't remember the ages of your children, but I know that some households enforce a sort of quiet time in the afternoon, even for their older, non-napping children. You could peg this quiet time to lunch, maybe scheduling free-reading or other independent quiet work to that time, so that after lunch everyone settles down for this, and you use the time for prayers.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 21 2016 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Also, does your husband shower in the morning? Just using that window of when your husband goes to get dressed and ready to go to find your own little corner to do your prayers might work. And then, you can finish up once he's out the door.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 21 2016 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I say my early morning prayers first thing. Wake up, hair up, robe on - sit in my chair. I have a rocking chair and reading table in my room and if I'm sitting there with the lamp on in the morning, everyone knows not to talk to me...except the toddler, whom I gently direct to an older sibling. Everyone can WAIT 15 minutes for mom to say prayers. The only exception for me would be a nursing baby, but they're not really interrupting, are they?

** Morning Offering
** 3 Hail Mary's for purity, and I add one additional for each of my children and husband (so that's a total of 9)
** St. Michael prayer
** Guardian Angel prayer

I just make myself completely unavailable to everyone. It only takes 15 minutes at the most.

My kids are VERY early risers. I'd love to do my spiritual reading and prayer time in the morning following morning prayers, but I never set that morning routine in place - although with enough effort I could! Instead, I worked with what seemed most "with the grain" for our home/family - I do my 15 minutes of spiritual reading and more meditative prayer in the afternoon while littles are napping -- 1:30 - 2:00. My older kids know not to EVER interrupt me when I'm in my room reading by myself. EVER!! Except for the usual - someone is bleeding profusely, then you can come talk to me...but there better be lots of blood!! Anyway, over the years, I've really come to enjoy the afternoon time for meditative prayer because I'm more awake and having gotten through some of the daily duties, my mind isn't racing around with what needs to be done. I can quiet myself interiorly a little easier.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 25 2016 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

Funny, I am having the exact same issue! We are taking a beautiful Prayer and Life class and I am supposed to schedule a "sacred half-hour" each day. I too have a husband that would like to spend a few minutes with me in the AM, and kids who have minor and major interruptions all day, every day. Long story short, after many trials and errors, I've tried settling on 10:00 PM each night. It's not quite my bedtime, (11:00), and not first thing in the AM. If my kids went to bed earlier, I would go with 9:00. It has only been a few days, but I think this will stick. The only problem I foresee is when we are up late with family events, and don't get home until well past.

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version