Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Photo Storage Ideas Please Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 28 2016 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Inspired by our Kon Mari chat I've been moving through the house tackling many areas, to be brought to a halt by the photos.

Many years ago, pre digital era I was diligent about writing on backs of photos and slotting into photo albums. Hours as a teen of helping my grandmother try to figure out random photos left an imprint. So up until 12 years ago I had all our albums organised chronologically, no clutter.

Then my Dad died and my sister passed on many of my family photos to me, they still sit in a bag to be sorted. Sadly a mouse got into many of my albums and ate at them. A few photos were destroyed but mostly it was just the albums that now look totally unattractive. ick

Factor in that I haven't printed any photos for 12 years, they are all sitting on my computer, yes mostly backed up except for the first two years of one poor child's life which are lost

Result, it's time to do something about our photo situation. What I'd like is to display/store our photos in some way that is appealing to our children that they want to pull out and look back over.

I'm thinking of scanning in photos and making them into books and then maybe toss all the photos or store into boxes or something.

Or perhaps you have other ideas for me? I'm totally open for suggestions and direction. Help please..

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 29 2016 at 5:45am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I loved this section in Kon Mari's second book: Spark Joy. She went through this with her own photos.

Result- and I love this- she quickly went through the photos and saved only the ones she loved. Anything blurry, unappealing, uninteresting went. She had a special file and put *only the photos she loved* in it. That way she was able to very quickly sort through her digital pictures, moving the keepers to her files and mass deleting the rest.

She did this to make a photo album for her parents. Another guideline she followed was that her mother had to look good in the photos she saved for this. I amusing this method now... saving only the ones that meet my own criteria. Makes it so much easier!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 29 2016 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I still need to do this, too. I bought this Photo and Craft Keeper when I organized our game cabinet and used it for playing cards, but I plan to buy more to use for when I tackle our photos.

I did do a photo book for several years annually, but I am very behind now. I like them a lot, though I think I need to have the ones I already did reprinted because babies and toddlers LOVE them. I think, though, I would still want hard copies of those photos on hand, stored in some way, but maybe not It seems like the best way to archive them for my kids to have some day in case, years and years from now, something happens and Shutterfly ceases to exist or something like that. But only the best photos. I like Melinda's suggestion for sorting.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 29 2016 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Seastar wrote:
Result- and I love this- she quickly went through the photos and saved only the ones she loved. Anything blurry, unappealing, uninteresting went. She had a special file and put *only the photos she loved* in it. That way she was able to very quickly sort through her digital pictures, moving the keepers to her files and mass deleting the rest.

Melinda

I recently did this actually before I 2nd hand read Kon Mari. I went through 12 years of photos and deleted and deleted. This was after I'd completed a photography course which was helpful as it gave me the confidence in discerning.

CruncyMom wrote:
I did do a photo book for several years annually, but I am very behind now. I like them a lot, though I think I need to have the ones I already did reprinted because babies and toddlers LOVE them. I think, though, I would still want hard copies of those photos on hand, stored in some way

Lindsay
Oh good point about babies and toddlers loving the photo books! Makes me rethink.

Yesterday I spent time googling and reading around how other people have done this. I'm thinking that I'll buy new, matching, attractive albums to replace the mice nibbled albums, thus keeping the actual photos. As for the 12 years of unprinted photos, I'll start making them into blurb books.

Two questions: Is blurb the best way to go or does anyone recommend another company?

Do you think it would be more inspiring to work forward from 2004, or to work backwards?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2016 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I will be coming back for more ideas. This is an overwhelming thing for me to conquer. I've done a lot these past few months, but this stops me in my tracks as well. Love the idea about deleting. I can do that so easily with most everything so, hopefully, it won't be hard with pictures.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

wifemommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 30 2016 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote wifemommy

Not helpful for books but our digital photos run on as our screen saver so we actually see the pictures everyday. Sometimes I find children just sitting and watching. Most of my pre digital photos are at least boxed in order....I think -Annie
Back to Top View wifemommy's Profile Search for other posts by wifemommy

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2016 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Annie

We do that too, it's also good for me to realise, "that picture is blurry, why did I keep it?" and thus delete

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version