Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Top 5 Medieval Book Recommendations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 12 2016 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I know I could look this up, but what are your top Medieval book recommendations for a high school literature and history course? My plan for my junior is to read a bunch of good literature and possibly do a few papers. Ideally, he reads 10 books, 1 per month. He's read Murder in the Cathedral.

Thank you!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2016 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

What time frame do you consider to be medieval? And, do you want the authors to be from medieval times, or do you want the setting/story to be in medieval times?

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2016 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Have you seen the syllabus Sally Thomas put together a few years ago? http://abandonhopefully.blogspot.com/2013/05/western-civ-2-p reliminary-reading-and.html

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2016 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Good question, Nancy. Both, I guess?? I'll come back later after I check some of the titles from Kolbe and MODG for this time period which I will also try to figure out.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2016 at 1:32am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I just now checked out Sally's syllabus and have to say, I wish I could read faster
There is so much I haven't read.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2016 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

I'd check out RC History's booklists as they cover literature as well as nonfiction. The book _For the Love of Literature _ is also a good source.

A good starting point could be reading about the relevant time period in the public domain book _English Literature_ by H.E. Marshall.   It's quite a readable history of English Literature with plenty of excerpts and is available in a number of ebook formats through Heritage History, including printable PDF.   I recommend it to get a feel for what existed back then in what is now England and surrounding areas.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2016 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Have you looked at Bethlehem books? I think we have read them all and never went wrong.

Editing to add my son's recommendations all from Bethlehem books.

Alfred of Wessex
The Lost Baron
Big John's Secret

He said that Rolf and the Viking Bow and Red Falcons of Tremoine are good but might be too young for your son.

I personally liked Spring Tide; he thought it was slow.
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version