Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living and Loving Numbers
 4Real Forums : Living and Loving Numbers
Subject Topic: 2 years doing Algebra Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mom21
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 09 2016 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote Mom21

Ladies, did or have any of you take 2 years to cover Algebra? We are doing it for my 9th grader as math is his hardest subject. We use Teaching Textbooks and are aiming to be halfway through the book by the end of May. He's moving slowly but making progress, but it's still very hard. Just wanted to know if any others have had similar advanced math done over 2 years and any wisdom you can share. Thanks!
Back to Top View Mom21's Profile Search for other posts by Mom21

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 09 2016 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

My oldest (Sarah) took a year and a half to complete Algebra 1 and about 2 years to complete Algebra 2. She wasn't quite finished with Algebra 2 when she graduated, and at the time she took the ACT, she had only completed half the book. Her test scores in math were good.

It was, at times, a stretch for me to let go and allow the pace to proceed organically, but I believed that it was useless to hurry through when all along we had emphasized mastery of concepts. At times, I think high school is about staying the course, and reminding ourselves again and again, if necessary, why we're in this in the first place.

So what if it takes longer to get through an upper level math book? It may necessitate an honest look at what that student expects post-graduation in terms of career/vocation path, but it is perhaps likely that a student that needs extra time to master upper level math concepts probably isn't looking into a math career anyway.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2016 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Jen, just courious, did your daughter take Geometry? Asking because my son finished Algebra I and II and only a small part of Geometry before taking the SAT and I thought his math scores could have been higher (for him). I was thinking it was the lack of the Geometry. We had him take the SAT in January since it was the last one before the big switch coming in March. His scores are good enough to get him where he needs to go, but do not necessarily show his ability/potential. Our biggest frustration with him.

Mom21, we use Teaching Textbooks as well. They've all progressed at different speeds. Like Jen mentioned, I would see where your sons wants/needs to be at the end of high school and go from there. Our oldest completed only Algebra I and II and Geometry (the order of math this programs suggests) and did very well in the difficult math courses at TAC until this year which is Calculus. She wishes she would have done some in high school.

Also, we do math pretty much year round, so continuing in the summer could have him finish in about a school year and half or a bit less even.

Hope that helps.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 09 2016 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Erica Sanchez wrote:
Jen, just courious, did your daughter take Geometry?

We use Saxon from 4th grade+, and Saxon Algebra 2 is essentially Geometry and Algebra. I think this is why Sarah was able to tackle the ACT and come out with good test scores having only completed half of Saxon Alg. 2.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2016 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Okay, that makes sense. :)

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2016 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

It does no good to hurry and learn nothing so take the 2 years.

One other option that might help. I have a child who gets overwhelmed by the sheer amount of a math lesson. Sometimes I'll have this child do half a lesson and then come back a couple hours later to finish it. It works sooooo much better than trying to do it all at once and running into the whole "locked up brain, can't think" thing that happens when we push it.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2016 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

A couple of random thoughts...if your county or state requires four years of high school math for graduation (mine does), you might want to go back to 8th grade, look at that pre-algebra course and reclassify it as a high school math course if your county allows pre-algebra for high school credit. That would buy you the time you need to do Algebra I in two years. Then you'd need to do Geometry and either Algebra II or Consumer Math (or the acceptable equivalent) in one year each to meet graduation requirements.

In my state, counties set their own graduation requirements (the state stays out of it), so, while my county requires four years of high school math, the county south of mine only requires three (so a student there could do pre-algebra, Algebra I and Geometry stretched across 8th-12th grade and graduate).

All of this matters in my state because homeschooling families must, by law, give their children instruction in the same courses/credits required for public schools in their counties - the courses themselves can vary, but students must complete four years of English, three or four years of math, etc., just as their public school counterparts do. As you can see, there's some leeway if you know the rules, but...

If you are lucky enough to live in a less regulated state, taking the time your child needs to get through the material is a non-issue.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2016 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Tagging onto Nancy's post.. I don't know if high schools do it now. But I had a friend when I was in high school that took Algebra A first year and Algebra B second year.. it was Algebra 1 done over 2 years.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 09 2016 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Our state requires four years of high school math. We worked that by including simple business math and consumer math courses that were easy to run alongside Algebra courses.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 09 2016 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JodieLyn wrote:
Tagging onto Nancy's post.. I don't know if high schools do it now. But I had a friend when I was in high school that took Algebra A first year and Algebra B second year.. it was Algebra 1 done over 2 years.

This is also workable with Saxon Algebra 2. Since Saxon covers Geometry AND Algebra, it can be split up over two years as two courses. Art Reed actually discusses this as an option for Algebra students that need extra time to cover the concepts in his book.

Mrs. B
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 26 2016 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote Mrs. B

Well we did pre-algebra over 3 years. That was saxon 8/7.She just needed the extra time.

Back to Top View Mrs. B's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs. B

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version