Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: enlarged thyroid Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 07 2016 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote countrymom

Hi Moms- I have been diagnosed with a "goiter" Apparently it is pretty big. I do not have trouble swallowing, and the doctor was pretty amazed at that. Anyway, just wondering if any moms her have dealt with that. I don't have tests back yet, tomorrow hopefully. My baby is 7 months and I can nurse her no problem, so who knows!
I do know about a month and a half ago I went on a Gim-me seaweed snack eating binge, basically eating about 2 cases my self! I am wondering if I gave myself massive Iodine overdose or something! Unfortunately I do not look in the mirror or take lots of selfies, so to document when it began is hard. I have felt very tired and kind of out of sorts, but I have blamed it on my 8th baby. Now I know that there is WAY more to it than that!
Back to Top View countrymom's Profile Search for other posts by countrymom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I was diagnosed with a goiter after my 4th child. My pediatrician noticed it at a well baby check. I had to jump through a ridiculous number of hoops and tests to make sure it wasn't cancerous and of course, lots of testing to watch my numbers. I had post-partum thyroiditis, and although my thyroid numbers returned to normal around 1 yr post-partum, the goiter doesn't go away. Once a thyroid enlarges, apparently it never shrinks.

I doubt the sea weed binge caused your goiter. A goiter results when the thyroid gland is stressed and must work extra hard to churn out the hormones you need. It IS possible you were craving the sea weed post-partum because your thyroid sort of tanked on you (total guess!)...sort of like your body craves certain minerals and things when you're pregnant.

In any case, just keep following up with your doctor and watch your numbers regularly. There is no doubt that if your thyroid hormones are off, feeling tired and "out of sorts" are very explainable. Thyroid controls metabolism - so if your thyroid numbers are low, you can expect a lower metabolism and all of its consequences: constipation, weight gain, and anything else that your metabolism could slow....whereas higher numbers result in an overactive thyroid and higher metabolism: diarrhea, weight loss, etc.

As long as your thyroid numbers are normal, and the goiter isn't impeding swallowing or breathing, then you just regularly watch your numbers and you'll probably have to do a thyroid ultrasound every so often to monitor size/nodes. A good endocrinologist is a help because most knee-jerk reactions to skewed numbers are to remove your thyroid, and trust me, that should be a last resort and only done if necessary. I've lived with my goiter for 8 years now.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote countrymom

Thank you so much. Its good to know I'm not the only one out there!

I am really looking in to stress reduction and trying to find "happiness"and rest as a part of my healing. I have been pretty stressed since 2012, more so than ever in my life before. Its hard though, because many books you read on the subject of happiness encourage you to leave any relationship that causes you unhappiness or stress, and I'm not leaving my huge family I have to look to the cross and carry it and try to find the peace that our Lord gives, even among the chaos of daily life. Its hard though! I think of some things "I" would like to do, that I cannot do (like have a greenhouse, grow a lovely garden, paint) that I really cannot do because of my life right now. Or maybe I can, I just need to rethink and reprioritize....but then there is always that husband to think of...and we can't just waltz off and do what we feel like doing to make ourselves happy. And as Catholics we know that only our Lord can make us happy, and nothing of this world can bring contentment...but then again, sometimes it can and we need to find that balance.

OK...whole nother post here!

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2016 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

How do you know you have a goiter. I have this wierd pain that started very suddenly. I thought it was a sore throat but I have no other symptoms of sickness. It's on the right side of my throat about where the glands are but they aren't swollen. It's just a wierd pain.
I recently had an emergency hysterectomy and they had to take the lymph nodes near my uterus. Maybe it's a hormone thing?

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 11 2016 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Becky,
A goiter is just an enlarged thyroid gland...so essentially...it just looks like your neck is fat.    Google some images. The thyroid is a butterfly shaped gland that lies across the base of your neck...if it enlarges, it is considered a "goiter". Some people have only one side enlarged...I have both.

I feel no pain, nothing out of the ordinary, and in fact, it is not unusual for someone other than yourself to notice the goiter. Now...if the goiter becomes excessively large, it can begin to impede breathing/swallowing, but that would not be something that would happen overnight.

I would probably just check with your general doc or a good E.N.T. doc about the pain in your throat.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

countrymom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote countrymom

yes, my throat looks fat. You can see it if you look at me. Funny, I never noticed it until my friend pointed it out!
My TSH is pointing toward Hyper, but I have all the symptoms of Hypo, which could be adrenal fatigue as well. All this thyroid stuff is so complicated. Lets just say mommy has been getting a thyroid education and the childrens education has been pushed to the back burner. I have felt lousy for about 2 years, so Ill be darned if I don't do what I can to make sure that my Dr treats me correctly!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version