Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Lit Class Ideas for Co-op? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 18 2015 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Last year I did a literature class using Five in a Row for a 2nd/3rd grade class. It was great b/c since we only meet 2x a month, if the kids didn't read the pic book for class, I had time to read it during class and then do our activity.

This year it will be for 3rd grade up (maybe even some 5th graders) so I'm not sure Five in a Row will still work b/c I need books that don't seem too juvenile. I looked at Beyond Five in a Row but they're chapter books and I just don't think that will work in the format being too long between classes and some kids just not reading the book.   Sooo, any ideas? I really want a "curriculum" to follow like FIAR. Do you know of any pic books that would work for a higher level? We did Paul Revere at the very end of last year and that was a really good one but many of the others, after I did them, realized they were somewhat juvenile for some of them and esp given I might have some 10 year olds in there.

Thanks,
Kathryn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 18 2015 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Have you looked at Jan Brett's website? She has many, many reproducible activity sheets there. My children are almost 6 years apart in age, but we were all able to enjoy Jan Brett's stories and intricate illustrations.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 19 2015 at 3:32am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Kathryn, have you ever seen Homeschool Share. It is a collection of units sort of like FIAR. The level 4 units are based on meatier picture books and geared toward age 8-10. I think there are some amazing picture books out there that are a higher level and have a lot of material that could be used with that age group. Do you have any particular themes you are looking at - might be able to help you find a book to fit?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2015 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

I will check Jan Brett, Nancy.

I was on the homeschool share site last night, Mary! LOL

Today I just picked up my copy of A Picture Perfect Childhood by Cay Gibson and am going to look through it.

I don't really have a specific theme, just that I obviously love learning/teaching through literature!   

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 20 2015 at 3:14am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Then I would look at some of the biography or history picture books...or also science related ones. You could get a lot out of those for that age group.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 20 2015 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Mary, do you mean in Cay's book for history or biography picture book options? That's what I would lean toward. I am NOT a science person.   

Also, is there a way to find picture book choices for older kids in one of these archives or are they more by subject?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 21 2015 at 1:48am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Kathryn wrote:
Mary, do you mean in Cay's book for history or biography picture book options? That's what I would lean toward. I am NOT a science person.   

Not necessarily Cay's book - though you can get some good recommendations there. Was speaking more in general that picture books in history, biography, and science topics tend to be more meaty and would appeal to the older group. Also they are good for having follow up activities that could tie in. Even if you don't know science - look at those books. Books with a science connection lend themselves to lots of follow up.

Kathryn wrote:
Also, is there a way to find picture book choices for older kids in one of these archives or are they more by subject?
Yes, probably going to be more by topic than age group.

So this is kind of random but some suggestions from books I like that I would consider older (or lead to activities or discussions for older).

ART
Illuminated Manuscript :
The Ink Garden of Brother Theophane
OR
Marguerite Makes a Book

Yellowstone Moran: Painting the American West

Through Georgia's Eyes

HISTORY
One Thousand Tracings

Farmer George Plants a Nation

Let it Begin Here: Lexington & Concord

Gingerbread for Liberty!: How a German Baker Helped Win the American Revolution

Longitude:
The Man Who Made Time Travel
OR
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Clocks-Longitude-Louise-Borden/dp/ 0689842163">Sea Clocks: The Story of Longitude

Irena Sendler and the Children of the Warsaw Ghetto

Silk:
Empress and the Silk worm
OR
Red Butterfly: How a Princess Smuggled the Secret of Silk out of China

Hold the Flag High

The Cemetery Keepers of Gettysburg

Ben and the Emancipation Proclamation

The Donkey of Gallipoli: A True Story of Courage in World War I

Fly, Cher Ami, Fly!

Veteran's Day/Veterans/Poppies
The Poppy Lady: Moina Belle Michael and Her Tribute to Veterans
OR
In Flanders Fields: The Story of the Poem by John McCrea

COOKING
Fannie in the Kitchen

SCIENCE/NATURE
migration:
Luck
OR
Welcome, Brown Bird

Julie the Rockhound
Miss Lady Bird's Wildflowers: How a First Lady Changed America

In the Garden with Dr. Carver

Gregor Mendel: The Friar Who Grew Peas

Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau

The Day-Glo Brothers

Electrical Wizard: How Nikola Tesla Lit Up the World

MATH
Fibonocci Numbers:
Blockhead: The Boy Who Became Fibonacci
OR
The Rabbit Problem

If you have themes, that can be a good thing to start with then figure out the books - I can think of lots of fun themes for activities for middle elementary.

Our Domestic Church

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2015 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Thank you for all those Mary!!! Well, with my ADD brain, I don't like to be locked inot themes so I kinda rotate what we do with each book. Sometimes we focused on history, sometimes geography, sometimes language arts etc. We usu read the book at beginning and then did one activity related to the book from the FIAR guide. The only "theme" I typically had was trying to keep the books within the time of the year. For example, we completed Paul Revere's ride from April of '75 last April.

I did remember all the letter books from Sleeping Bear Press too b/c they have teacher's guides with every book! I thought about doing this one:

Sleeping Bear Press Goliath teaching guide

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2015 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Here was another good one. I figure I can just read the A-Z small paragraphs in class and they could read the larger sections at home or I could take a larger section and expand on it.

G is for Gladiator

One thing I do usu look for is activities that are best done in a group to take advantage of that group setting...games, acting out, interactive things. I don't want them to come to co-op with friends and me just give them a Copywork page, ya know?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version