Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Whatever Happened to Summer Vacation? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 26 2015 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

This has been a really good post! Lots to think about. Many different opinions and many alike opinions. All good stuff to ponder. All correct in it's own way too. There never is just one way. Things vary with the season of life too.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2015 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I like schooling year round bc then we keep on progressing while still getting plenty of down time throughout the year.

It's not as continuous as it was before my orders start taking college classes dual enrolled bc slowly our schedule started to conform more around when they were out of school and or off work.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2015 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Jodie- I think swim team defines summer for your dc They have always loved it.

On another note, does your team practice twice a day?

We have swim team here, but my dc are a bit put off by it since it is twice daily practice 6 days a week. These are volunteer practices (they have already started but just once a day for now until school ends), come when you can, but still that seems like a lot. The swim team says this is because the season is short (6-8 weeks), and they can't really get anywhere (good) with out a lot of practicing. However, that would take up just about every single day of our break, and that is without the actual meets!

We have only tried schooling year round once. We took off the month of June and then started back in July. We did have some nice breaks during the year, but it was really hard to come back after 3 weeks off in April and finish strong at the end of the year.

But, like Cassie said, different things work for different families at different times.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2015 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

They do.. we have practice in the morning 5 days a week. And then practice in the evening.. available 4 days but you only need to attend 2.. pick any 2. And the evenings are all the kids at once not staggered by age/ability like the mornings. And the odds are good with the long days that they'd be at the pool playing during open swim right up to the evening practice anyway. Plus with swim team.. even my younger kids swim well enough that I feel ok with dropping them off to swim without me there. (they have to swim 50 meters without grabbing onto anything or stopping to get this privilege).

And yes my kids love swimming. They start asking the first nice days, usually in february about when the pool will open. I get very few complaints about early mornings.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2015 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

CrunchyMom wrote:
So, I guess my own thoughts towards doing math through the summer has little to do with rigor and more to do with my lack of discipline the rest of the year.

Exactly this for me, Lindsay! My kids keep asking when summer break begins and I keep reminding them of the many breaks we've taken since September. I don't have specific plans for summer except to keep going in math, work on reading aloud more, and give lots of attention academically to my rising junior who I really need to graduate and head off to college in two years!

Except that I was thinking about coming here and asking if there was such a thing as a crash course in history that we could do as a family to get a general overview. We've covered specific time periods well over the years, but I think this would be beneficial to my rising freshman and 7th grader in particular. I'll go post this on the history board.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2015 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

This is a very timely topic for me! I am struggling with how I will handle summer break this year. We lost a lot of time with our move and now even more with our son's wedding and traveling back to Virginia for that and for the boys' confirmation. I could only bring a few books, so we brought literature, Latin, and math.

I'm trying to figure out when I can fit in at least a 6- week break, but I'm afraid to not make up the time we missed this year. Also, it will take another 8 weeks or so to finish the literature book we are working on right now.

All I want to do is enjoy the summer, take walks, and refresh myself, but I'm having trouble this year giving myself permission to do it!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 01 2015 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erica Sanchez wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:
So, I guess my own thoughts towards doing math through the summer has little to do with rigor and more to do with my lack of discipline the rest of the year.

Exactly this for me, Lindsay! My kids keep asking when summer break begins and I keep reminding them of the many breaks we've taken since September. I don't have specific plans for summer except to keep going in math, work on reading aloud more, and give lots of attention academically to my rising junior who I really need to graduate and head off to college in two years!

Except that I was thinking about coming here and asking if there was such a thing as a crash course in history that we could do as a family to get a general overview. We've covered specific time periods well over the years, but I think this would be beneficial to my rising freshman and 7th grader in particular. I'll go post this on the history board.

This. We had to take lots of breaks during the year, so we will have to carry through some subjects through summer.

And I need a crash course for writing. It's been a tough year.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2015 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Jennifer, let me know what crash course in writing you use! I'm on the prowl too...

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 02 2015 at 4:36am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

When I was looking at the recommendations in this thread, I thought that both Write with the Best and Writing with Skill looked promising in this category. But honestly, if I were feeling stretched and in a place where I really needed a "crash course", I think I would sign my child up for the Brave Writer Kidswrite Basic class. They do offer summer classes.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version