Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Health? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 14 2015 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

It seems a half credit of Health class is a high school requirement for our state. Can anyone tell me what is taught in a health class? We didn't have that class when I went to high school.   

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

Misty
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2015 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Misty

Cassie, no one has replied?? Well I will tell you what we have done for high school health.

We used the Food Renegade products both the kids and the older set. We read through them together. We eat this way so it was a good fit for us. Also, we watch a lot of documentaries on nutrition, food, vaccines, etc and really talk through them. Then there is our chiropractor who is big into health. He has talks once a month and a 'new' movie on health at least every other months. We go to almost all of these. We have been blessed by him for over 12 years. So like 3 weeks ago we went and saw "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" as a family and talked about it. All this over the years, and the fact the kids do all the cooking in our home and know why we use the products we do and why we don't use the products most families use we have felt that they have earned a health credit.

That isn't a great answer I'm sure but maybe it will spark something to help you on your way.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2015 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

When I took health, it was pretty much a human biology class with nutrition and anti-alcohol/drug info thrown in. That was a long time ago, though!

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2015 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

It seems to me that if you're doing biology, that would also cover a lot of "health," with maybe some additional reading, video, whatever . . . in addition to all those things Misty describes. Seems like a pretty easy subject to unschool!

We've never done it formally. No idea whether it's a state "requirement" here or not! But if I needed to, I could probably put together a list of books and activities a kid has read/done and call it Health Class!

Sally

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 22 2015 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

One of the local gyms here offers a two month physician referred exercise program... basically for two months you have to commit to attending to two exercise classes a week with a trainer.

You get weighed, blood pressure taken, measured, etc before you start and then again after. Your sessions are tracked and recorded (you have to sign up for your two weekly slots. The cost is very low (and you also get a free one hour massage ). But it has to be set up via your family doctor. The program is to encourage families to exercise together, so kids are definitely welcome.

I think something like that along with some nutrition/healthy cooking classes would definitely qualify as a health class.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version