Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: taking it seriously Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 15 2015 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

We have homeschooled from the beginning. I love it and would do it again but I feel like I have failed to teach my kids to take learning seriously.

I attended Catholic school from K-12. High school was very competitive and I did well. College was easy compared to high school. I don't remember thinking that school was particularly stressful (although there were moments when tests or papers collided with other commitments etc). In looking back however, I do think that is was very stressful and probably negatively affected my health. I was a 3 sport athlete, on the campus ministry core team, and was actively involved in 4-H from 9-18 years old, while maintaining a 3.85 gpa. One thing that all of this taught me was how to work hard, be self motivated, juggle multiple commitments and finish projects. I felt very confident in almost any situation and didn't hesitate to stretch my abilities.

Fast forward 28 years and I have two teenage boys (14 &15) who are anything but stressed about achieving academic excellence LOL. Not that I want them to be stressed but I do want them to feel competent and confident both academically and socially. Frankly, I don't think either of them will be ready to tackle college (I know they have some time but I am getting nervous)

How do I teach them to take education seriously? They are really lacking that spark of motivation. Any ideas?
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

motherheart
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 16 2015 at 1:13am | IP Logged Quote motherheart

I could have written a similar post about myself academically and my son, who is on the verge of 16.

I don't know!! My husband's plan is for him to get a job when he is 16 to experience:
~what it is like to be subject to someone else besides us, his parents
~focusing his time better with the need to balance school and work
~to know encounter others who do not have higher education
~to learn a better work ethic and responsibility

We also will be enrolling him in a class or two his junior year (this next school year) in the local community college for many of the same reasons.

I am looking forward to seeing the responses of others to this thread.

Mom to ds 16, dd 14, dd 13, ds 9, ds 6, and 4 in Heaven
Back to Top View motherheart's Profile Search for other posts by motherheart

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2015 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I think your husband's plan is a good one, Mary! I agree that this is a struggle but I wonder if it's just the age? My own son went through the same thing and we let him go to the local high school where he became more serious about his academic achievements...but I'm not sure that it was worth it because of how his faith suffered.

My dd on the other hand is 16 and is doing great since we talked to her about how, if she wants to go to ___ University she will need to start now to get good grades and do those things that will look good on a college application. During those junior high years I would have to say she wasn't very motivated though!

Maybe talk to your sons about what they want to be when the grow up? Help them to set long term goals and see what it is going to take to reach them. We recently had that talk with my ds who is 14 and very unmotivated! I'm just starting to see glimpses of the fruit of that conversation. I'm hoping that next year, when he is in 9th the whole "I'm in high school so it's time to get serious" thing will take hold!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2015 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Aagot

Thanks Mary and Becky,
at least it is good to see I am not the only one.
Aagot
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2015 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

Do they know what they want to do when they are older?

If they have some ideas, have them talk to someone in that field about what it takes to get where they want to go. Having someone other than mom and dad talk to them about it may help. Once my ds found something he was passionate about, we started looking at schools and looking at what it will take to get out of school with as little debt as possible. Grades and test scores matter.

Good luck!

Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version