Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Book List 2015 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 20 2015 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

SeaStar wrote:
Sure- I am in.

At the grocery store yesterday I picked up a bag of frozen organic spinach... checked the label and it was a "Product of Turkey". Really??? We don't grow organic spinach here? I put it back.

I am loving the Organic book - started it last night. It is another stepping stone in a "journey" of realization that I have been discovering the last few months. I loved the intro to the book where the guy said in a secular way that we are making food in an idol. And that is something I have seen too - that healthy food and healthy living are becoming an idol and a false God. My priest put it that way beautifully too - he said that when we focus so much on organics and healthy alternatives - we are led more to us being in control and we start losing our trust in God. We are so privileged that we don't have to worry about where our next meal is coming from.

My personal journey - I had to be on several elimination diets the last few months (read constant hunger and thinner than ever before - not a good thing) - turns out that I did a lot worse with the paleo/organic/gluten free/dairy free. They made me seriously sick. (my dh jokes that I would have been better off on the Mcdonalds diet!!!) Turns out that I am intolerant to all the fermented "gut" food - whereas there never was anything wrong with my gut in the first place!!! Herbs are chemical too - and very potent - as are essential oils. So back to the words of my very wise grandma - who lived till she was 93 in great health (died when she was knocked down by a drunk driver as she was walking to Mass) - "all things in moderation"!!!!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2015 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I am reading Alice von Hildebrand's memoir . It is a fast read and not at all "too" philosophical. The Catholic Belgium of her childhood is long, long gone I wonder what happened that a people can so quickly lose their faith and just slip into relativism and atheism within 3 generations. I am including Germany here. I recommend this book as a good summer read.

I have only read articles by Esolen and I am very interested in reading one of his books. Which book should I start with?

I just bought fresh german spinach - not organic, but from around the corner...   I was going to buy organic carrots the other day, but they were from Israel! Again , I just purchased the carrots from around the corner. What a crazy system!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 20 2015 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I admit I never looked at where some foods come from before I read this book. I would not have imagined that organic spinach could be kept frozen while traveling half way around the world or that Israeli carrots would be sold in Germany.

It seems like such a waste of resources. I have not checked labels yet, but I wonder if nonorganic frozen spinach at the grocery store also comes from overseas?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2015 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

MarilynW wrote:
that healthy food and healthy living are becoming an idol and a false God. My priest put it that way beautifully too - he said that when we focus so much on organics and healthy alternatives - we are led more to us being in control and we start losing our trust in God. We are so privileged that we don't have to worry about where our next meal is coming from.

My personal journey - I had to be on several elimination diets the last few months (read constant hunger and thinner than ever before - not a good thing) - turns out that I did a lot worse with the paleo/organic/gluten free/dairy free. They made me seriously sick. (my dh jokes that I would have been better off on the Mcdonalds diet!!!) Turns out that I am intolerant to all the fermented "gut" food - whereas there never was anything wrong with my gut in the first place!!! Herbs are chemical too - and very potent - as are essential oils. So back to the words of my very wise grandma - who lived till she was 93 in great health (died when she was knocked down by a drunk driver as she was walking to Mass) - "all things in moderation"!!!!

Oh YES!!!! As a family we HAVE to follow a limited diet due to severe anaphylaxis to all milk products, nuts, eggs, chicken....but man oh man, I can NOT afford to eat all organic, all paleo (especially with a posse of teen boys) and all of the other food fads that come down the lane. Yes, food issues are on the rise, but everyone is so different it can’t be “Paleo is the ONLY way” etc...I suspect the numbers prove the Mediterrianian diet is close to the healthiest....it has quite the track record on its side. Sorry...I know this is a book list, but the entire food thing strikes a chord for me.
Back to previously scheduled programming    

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2015 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

And I’m reading Alice von Hildebrand’s book, love it! She is quite the firecracker.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 20 2015 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

My daughter's NaPro doc suggested paleo to us months ago, but we haven't seriously tried to do it. It's hard because we all have different allergies/sensitivities and between figuring out what people can/can't eat, what people should/shouldn't eat, etc. it gets to be nerve-wracking.

I read The Omnivore's Dilemma a while back and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and several other books on food. In an ideal world we'd be eating all organic, grass fed or pastured this and that, avoid all allergens, eat and drink probiotics, etc. but I have to be some kind of superhuman to be able to keep up with all that. Some days, if it has to be ramen or Spam, so be it.    

I try not to sweat it so much anymore, just trying to keep it simple and up our veggie and fruit intake, buy organic whenever possible but not get fanatic about it, and keep praying that God grant us good health for as long as possible.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 20 2015 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Which book, 4 lads mom? I've only read Privilege of Being a Woman.

Stephanie, I've only read Anthony Esolen's latest one, though I want to read his other books, esp. his translations of Dante.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2015 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Alice von Hildebrandt was the commencement speaker at my daughter's college last week - she loved her. Then on Sunday she was at our parish giving a talk on marriage on Sunday night - I REALLY wanted to go, but my baby girl was sick and also I had college students needing to be fed at my house. I was so sad to miss her

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 21 2015 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Stef, I am reading the Memoirs of a Happy Failure....oh my goodness..the suffering that poor woman went through, it is unreal. A worthwhile read.

Marilyn, so sorry you missed her, but that was an equally important Corporal Work of Mercy....feeding the hungry!!

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2015 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Just read the Madame Chic books - just LOVE them and am so grateful to Caroline for recommending them. They are my summer inspiration.

I also have my summer to read list all entered into Goodreads. Working on the baskets for all the kids. Will post a list of my reads later this week.

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2015 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I just started The Lord of the World by Robert Hugh Benson. It is also translated into German and many are recommending here. I am anxious to see where this story ends up, because right now it doesn't look good for Catholics. It is a book written in 1907 but takes place in the future. It is amazing how this Priest painted the future with communism , free masonry and ramped euthanasia.
It is difficult to put the book down.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2015 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

And I think my library card just melted....I reserved so many books from this list! Thanks for so many great titles!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 12 2015 at 5:10am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I listened to The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up on audio, and it has changed my life

I also started Call the Midwife on audio. I'm not quite done. It is interesting but not as engaging as a story as the television series. It is one of the few instances where "the movie is better." The writing is kind of clunky, and there is one chapter about prostitution that should be skipped altogether. Just way too graphic, unnecessarily so. And I thoroughly enjoyed Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy, so it isn't just squeamishness about the obvious horrors of the subject matter.

And because I took a break from Call the Midwife, I started Madame Chic!! I'd put it on my wishlist after Caroline recommended it, but once Marilyn raved, too, I felt compelled. I am loving it!

In print, I'm reading Consider This by Karen Glass and The Betrothed for my Well-Read Moms book club.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2015 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Lindsay, I joined WRM in January, and am contemplating reading “The Betrothed” instead of Anna Karenina, I just read AK last year...and just watched the BBC movie, that counts, yes? And I’ve heard good things about Karen Glass’ book....will add it to the eternal reading list.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 13 2015 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I'm reading Far from the Madding Crowd now. Meant to read the book before watching the movie with my 24-yo, but didn't finish it, so finishing it now.

Meanwhile, she wrote a great review here.

I've never read Thomas Hardy. Anyone here love him? Should I add Tess to my list?

After FFTMC, I might go with The Betrothed since I'm seeing that all over the place now and want to be in on the fun

And then I suppose I could go back to dark and depressing afterwards and finally read Lord of the World which I've been meaning to read since last year.

mom to five

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2015 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

stefoodie wrote:
I'm reading Far from the Madding Crowd now. Meant to read the book before watching the movie with my 24-yo, but didn't finish it, so finishing it now.

I've never read Thomas Hardy. Anyone here love him? Should I add Tess to my list?

After FFTMC, I might go with The Betrothed since I'm seeing that all over the place now and want to be in on the fun

And then I suppose I could go back to dark and depressing afterwards and finally read Lord of the World which I've been meaning to read since last year.

My high school senior dissertation was on Thomas Hardy. I had to read most of his books. I find him incredibly dark and depressing - Jude the Obscure is the most depressing of all. Far from the Madding Crowd is one of the "happier" ones. Tess was my core text - I used to like it - but could not stomach it now. My rising college junior does not even want to read Tess. Dh was also a Hardy expert - I think his favorite book was Return of the Native - I think he might go see FFTMC with dd.

I have always wanted to read Lord of the World - but I think I need to keep it light and positive right now. I have some light weight beach reads lined up. I also have already started reading Life Under Compulsion and just love it so far. I really want my teens to read it.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2015 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

The Betrothed is on my list. It is one of my dh's favorite books - he reads it in Italian I Promessi Sposi. It is on my rising 11th grader's list this summer - so I am going to read it to...in English!

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2015 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I have been reading Father Morrow's book - Christian Courtship in an Oversexed World - it is really very good.

Sigh - it seemed only yesterday I was reading books about raising preschoolers - and now it is dating and courtship..

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2015 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

I read “Return of the Native” in high school and remember thinking “Wow, that’s kinda dark” but I don’t remember anything else right now. Marilyn, I have “The Betrothed” on my bedside....need to pick it up!
AND yes...dating vs littles...so hard to switch gears!!

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2015 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Some recent updates:

I read The Hidden Art of Homemaking with some reservations because it sounded so... "vanilla". I expected another run-of-the-mill "love your vocation" book but I was overwhelmingly surprised!

This book is a MUST-READ for all Christian women. I wish I would've picked it up years ago. It's one I got from the library but fully intend to buy and read every few years. The premise simply is how we have a DUTY to create beauty in our lives and WHY that is important.

It is chock full of supremely good advice and decorated with lovely, hand-drawn pictures throughout. So so good... if you don't know, the author is the mother of Susan Schaeffer MacCauley who wrote the excellent "For the Children's Sake."

I'm also just starting Etty Hillesum: An Interrupted Life which has been on my list for a while. I've somehow sensed that I have a soul sister in this Russian-Dutch-Jewish woman and am eating up every word in this book so far. Exquisite.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version