Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Book List 2015 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 12 2015 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith- who also wrote 101 Dalmations.

Fun and interesting read- set in a castle in 1930's England

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2015 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Last week I finished The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley. I have read all the previous Flavia de Luce books, and was horrified on a recent trip to Barnes and Noble to find I was two books behind! It was very different than the others in that it was less a mystery and more character development. I am eager to read the next one and see how the changes brought about in Arches play out.

I also finished the last two Harry Potter books. I had read the first five back in the day, but had not cared enough to complete the series. I had two children interested in reading them (to be able to speak knowledgeably with friends) and felt I should pre-read. They were typical Potter, with teenage problems mixed in. I like the theme of self-sacrifice, but not overall a series I will revisit.

Still working on The Betrothed by Manzoni, and will be starting The Hound of Heaven at My Heels soon. These are both reading for the Well-Read Moms Club.

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2015 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Has anyone read much of Malcolm Gladwell? I finished Outliers and am fairly sure it was the most INTERESTING non-fiction book I've ever read. Not the BEST, mind you... but 101% interesting from start to finish. I couldn't put it down.

It was fascinating. Highly recommended to make you think and understand a little bit.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2015 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I just finished Only a Novel: The Double Life of Jane Austen, which was free on Kindle and an interesting read. I finally got around to reading some of her lesser-known/unfinished novels: Lady Susan and The Watsons.

Reread Eudora Welty's Delta Wedding, which is one of my favorite novels of all time. And have also just finished a volume of Graham Greene's short stories, May We Borrow Your Husband.

All good reads. The Greene stories, like most Graham Greene, are both incisive and sad. The man knew human nature and sin . . .

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2015 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

And I LOVE I Capture the Castle! Another of my favorite novels of all time!

Sally

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2015 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I recently finished Scent of Water by Elizabeth Goudge and Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy by Rumer Godden. I really liked them both. I have Godden's China Court to read next.

I've also listened to a handful of D.E. Stevenson novels on Audible. Miss Buncle's Book is still my favorite of her books, but they are all so cozy and comfortable without being shallow.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2015 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Lindsay, have you read Elizabeth Goudge's Pilgrim's Inn? That's another one I revisit over and over. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I haven't yet read Scent of Water, though.

Sally

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2015 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

knowloveserve wrote:
Has anyone read much of Malcolm Gladwell? I finished Outliers and am fairly sure it was the most INTERESTING non-fiction book I've ever read. Not the BEST, mind you... but 101% interesting from start to finish. I couldn't put it down.

It was fascinating. Highly recommended to make you think and understand a little bit.

oh- I love to read this type of book. Just requested it from the library- thanks for the heads up

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2015 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SallyT wrote:
Lindsay, have you read Elizabeth Goudge's Pilgrim's Inn? That's another one I revisit over and over. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I haven't yet read Scent of Water, though.

Sally

Yes! The Eliots of Damerosehay Trilogy is a favorite! Though it has been some years since I last read it. I do think I might like Pilgrim's Inn better than Scent of Water, but I saw Scent of Water recommended more than once as a "favorite book of all time" and I can see why. It, too, it a book you could read over and over and still enjoy and get a little something you'd missed before. I think you would really like it, Sally, especially since the "artist" character in Scent of Water is a writer.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 13 2015 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I still so often think of Pilgrim's Inn when dreaming of what an idyllic life for my children would be. In fact, I had not read The Wind in the Willows when I first read Pilgrim's Inn, but I fell in love with the idea of it when the boys quoted Rat about "messing about in boats," and I still can't think of anything more exciting than my boys having a river to row in near our home as described (when I no longer have toddlers, of course).

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2015 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Just read A Spoonful of Sugar by Brenda Ashford and it is simply marvelous!!! Nanny Brenda was a nanny for 62 years in Britain, beginning her work at the start of WW2. The book was written by her and published in 2013 at the ripe age of 91!! There is also a sequel I just have to have Tuppence for Paper and String.

Here is an excerpt

I have puzzled many times over the ingredients for the perfect recipe for a happy home. It needs to be a place with parents who worship their children. Throw in some stability, a dash of routine and respect. Sprinkle with some fun and imaginative games and stir well.

A vital ingredient in this recipe, I have concluded is the mothers. As long as the mother is happy the household will be happy. That was where I came in. I would go into the home prepared to do anything that a mother would do, be that the night feeds, housework, winding a fussy baby, or taking baby out so mother could sleep. By supporting the mother through smiles, gentle encouragement and hard work, she'd be up and about and on her feet in no time.

The thrill of seeing a happy mother and in turn a happy, warm household was beyond measure.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 26 2015 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

knowloveserve wrote:

Holy Cow! I got this book and could not believe what I was reading. It was mind-boggling.... everything from the effect of cut-off dates on success to the Chinese numbers being faster to say. The TIPP Program totally scared me- I understand where the program is coming from, but school from 7:30 to 5 pm and then on Saturdays for half a day... really??

Yeah... not sure I want to take an airplane trip anytime soon, though....

I have just started another book by the same author: Blink.
My doctor saw me with Outliers at my yearly check-up and said, "Oh, great author. You have to read Blink."

Thanks for the tip, Ellie.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 26 2015 at 7:22pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I have heard Outliers referenced a lot lately, especially the part about the 10,000 hours it takes to master something. It is definitely on my list.

I also signed up for and decided to start a Well Read Moms book club. I sent out an e-mail Sunday night and already have quite a few committed to attending our first meeting! Our first book will be Hannah Coulter. I'm excited to have some encouragement and support in reading some more challenging works.

I got several D.E. Stevenson books from Audible. I'd read them years ago, but they are too expensive to buy used now, and I didn't feel like requesting them all from interlibrary loan like I did years ago. It was a fun escape. Cozy yet substantial enough to be edifying. While there is usually a romance of some sort, I find her books are usually character studies that are really insightful.

My favorite is still Miss Buncle's Book. What a riot!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 26 2015 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

My husband is reading Outliers at the moment and just keeps raving about it and sharing excerpts!! Reminds me of when he read Quiet! Didn't know about Blink off to see if library has it!

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2015 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I just finished reading My Heart Lies South (link is to Kindle version)by Elizabeth Borton de Trevino, who also wrote the youth fiction books Nacar: The White Deer and I, Juan de Parejo. This was her autobiography and at one time was a best selling book. I found her description of her Mexican family and culture to be a fascinating glimpse into a truly Catholic community. The centrality of the Faith to the everyday lives of the people of her town of Monterrey during the 1930's was delightful to read, but left me sort of sad when I think of what we are missing in our modern lives. I had just read Reclaiming Catholic Social Teaching by Anthony Esolen (again, a Kindle link). In that book, Mr. Esolen describes what a Catholic society would look like if fully realized. The life Mrs. de Trevino describes living in Mexico comes very close to that ideal.
A great "bathtub read" (that is what I call a book that is not too long, easy to read,entertaining, and uplifting)!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2015 at 5:59am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Erin wrote:
Just read A Spoonful of Sugar by Brenda Ashford and it is simply marvelous!!! Nanny Brenda was a nanny for 62 years in Britain, beginning her work at the start of WW2. The book was written by her and published in 2013 at the ripe age of 91!! There is also a sequel I just have to have Tuppence for Paper and String.

Erin-
This is a fabulous book! It is fascinating to read about life way back when, and at the same time, it is full of every day wisdom we can still apply today. I love Nanny Brenda!

I am so glad there is a sequel, because when I am finished with this one, I will be wanting more. Thanks for recommending it

Earlier this month I read What Alice Forgot. I am late to the Alice party, but it was hard to put down. It was interesting in itself, but also thought provoking...

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2015 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote Erin

My Tuppence for Paper and String just arrived today, can't wait to read it

Oh and I found a copy on our library discard cart of one of my fav books for 50c! Last Child in the Woods

Read Alice, it was thought provoking.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2015 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I just love reading everyone's posts and taking notes about what to read!!

I am reading Raymond Arroyo's biography of Mother Angelica - wow, incredible! I can hardly put it down. And I am so inspired by Mother and her success despite all her pain and suffering and setbacks.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 27 2015 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Just finished The War That Saved My Life. I saw it displayed in the children's section of the library and took it home. It is labeled as young adult, but I more adult/older teens.
I read it in two days because I could not stop reading it.

But warning: the first few pages are very, very hard to read, IMO... so terribly sad. After that- wonderful. I just take for granted that all kids are loved and cared for. I can't imagine how some children live. But after reading this book, and A Spoonful of Sugar, I can see that very ordinary thing: clean clothes, love, a smile, kind words, basic health care, are not really very ordinary at all.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 27 2015 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Melinda
Just read the blurb and it sounded awful but fascinating. Alas our library doesn't have it.

Hey you read Spoonful of Sugar what did you think?
Haven't got far in my String and Tuppence as dh grabbed it and has been reading, he just finished it last night.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version