Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What are you up to now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

It's been quiet around here this week... what's everyone up to these days?

We just finished up a nautical flag art project here. Also- we are living on smoothies! How is it that you can put all kinds of vegetables and fruits that you would normally never eat together all at once (pineapple, carrot, spinach, banana and apple) into a blender and have it come out tasting so good?

We rescued a chipmunk last week from our naughty cat and had rodent ICU going here.

My keys fell out of my purse on Monday and were locked in the car; of course dh was out of the country at the time

And very sadly, I sent ds outside to play with his remote control helicopter since I thought a grass landing would be easier on it (vs crashing on hard wood), but somehow something went terribly amiss. The helicopter took off upwards and has yet to come down!    I have never heard of such a thing! Very traumatic here

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Aw, that is traumatic. Poor guy!

Tell me more about the nautical flag project!! Links? Pictures? Medium?

Back at the end of August, dh found some cabinets at the restore that were from a butler's pantry. We bought them impulsively, and dh has been converting our dark little knotty pine office into a lovely bright pantry with yellow cabinets and bright white walls. It is wonderful, but the mess was chaotic. I FINALLY found the sewing room again yesterday!! Dh is finished with the final coat on the counters, so I can start moving in this weekend! Today, I have been buried in bins trying to (finally) change over the seasonal clothing.

We have embarked on a 6 month experiment with the GAPS diet. It has been a lot of work and expensive, but we do feel better so far. It have been spending so much time in the kitchen!!

So, given the impulsive splurge on a new pantry and the new diet, we reacquainted ourselves with our good ole friend, Mr. Ramsey! While we don't regret the pantry project at all--such a functional space!--looking at our finances right now is sobering. We decided that, as much as we have fought it over the years, the envelope system really works, so we are giving that a go again after trying and failing at other systems in the years since we first tried it.

As a side note, I recently saw this list of prayers for the Meyers Briggs personality types. Dh and I are *both* ENFP, and the prayer for this type is, "God,help me to keep my mind on one th-Look a bird-ing at a time." It is SO fitting for us!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

We are enjoying a fall break. I've been trying to plan out our second term and not having much luck. Dh is wanting me to learn to cut hair with clippers and I'm not wanting too! Since he bought them today it looks like I have no choice!

I did take my planning stuff outside today and it was hard to focus with all the leaves but I feel inspired to finish this project tonight! Did I mention that we forgot the keys to get into the gate at the "family farm"? I had to come back home but thankfully it is under a 15 minute drive and a pretty one this time of year. We had lunch with us and had to eat it in the car (instead of a picnic) in the driveway to avoid it getting cold while I drove back home and to the farm again.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

It's been a craaaaaaaaazy fall. My husband is teaching five classes this semester, which makes for long days (but also bigger paychecks, so NO complaints here), and my 11th grader is on campus with him every day, and has play practice until late most evenings, so they come home and I'm like, excuse me, have we met? Because you seem to have keys to my house.

The 11th grader says he really enjoys play practice, because it cheers him up after a long day. The play: King Lear.

We had a pipe break in the kitchen -- it was the pipe from the hot-water heater, under the sink, so the resulting flood was like a hot spring, and people wanted to wallow around in it. Currently we have a completely re-plumbed house and a half-ripped-up linoleum floor with hard wood underneath -- our contractor friend, who did the re-plumbing and is rapidly becoming my BFF to the nth, convinced my husband that it would be cheaper to finish the hard wood than to put down more linoleum, so I'm happy in the spirit of Hebrews 11.1 right now.

My BFF to the nth also brought me a dryer he happened to have hanging around in his shed, to replace mine that died back in May. But now the dishwasher has died, and while it does make a handy under-the-counter concealable dish drying rack, I have wondered if he has a dishwasher hanging around in his shed, too . . .

Oh, and we still homeschool. I always forget that part. Things are going well with the younger two at home -- I'm really pleased with my 10-year-old's progress in reading after her course of vision therapy, and my 12-year-old, while he has his moments, is stepping up to the plate in so many ways with his work.

We had a composition-crash-course event this week -- his CCD teacher (former marine, CCD boot camp) assigned the class the Book of Job in its entirety, with a three-paragraph summary. So the 12-year-old says to me, "What exactly is a paragraph?" Oh. Had I not explained this before? Apparently not. So I did explain, and he spent days and days and days reading Job, and then 5 hours on Wednesday writing what ended up being three really creditable paragraphs. So maybe next time it won't take 5 hours . . .

I'm teaching a poetry course at Homeschool Connections that seems to be going well. I enjoy it, anyway. My students are a lot of fun, and I hope they're having even a fraction as much fun as I'm having talking about poetry. My new poetry collection just went into pre-publication sales (yes, *ahem,* this is advertising, please forgive me), and I'm having to be my own publicist, so people are probably quietly unfriending and unfollowing me on social media even as we speak. And I'm at work revising a story that was shortlisted for the Tuscany Prize in Catholic fiction and will be in the 2014 prize anthology, out sometime next year. So . . . literary stuff going on around here.

Oh, and my oldest is applying for teaching jobs (or any kind of job, really . . . ). St. Joseph prayers for something to come together between now and graduation next May would be massively appreciated!

So, anyway, that's life around here. Lindsay, your pantry sounds fabulous! And . . . yeah, those envelopes. We need those envelopes again.

Sally

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

The nautical flag project came from Miss Volin at Home Art Studio for grade 5. That whole year has a sea theme, which has been fun. Today it was nautical flags: one flag in three different sizes using a different medium for each and then layered to loosely resemble this painting:

Three Flags (which I had never seen before but is very cool).

We also enjoyed looking at all the nautical flags and seeing what they meant, then picking out which design to use. I picked the letter U (uniform), which means Caution! You are heading into danger.   I felt that was appropriate given the whole chipmunk episode and tragic loss of the helicopter.

The pantry sounds lovely- so cool, too, that it was DYI. What is the GAPS diet?

Seems to have been a bad week for keys- but a trip to the farm sounds great!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Buried with stuff here too. Plumbing in the bathroom.. should not have been that bad.. yeah.. had to call the plumber twice.. he was nice enough to treat it as one "extended" call so that we got the slight reduction for the second hour.. sheesh.. too much pipe CUTTING for us to manage it without help.

But I have a working sink in the bathroom again.

Meeting on meetings on meetings.. boy scouts, cub scouts, scout committee (and I had to catch up some treasurer stuff ) and fire department meetings and Red Ribbon Week bonfire (I take the kids.. it's all say no to alcohol and drugs stuff.. but the middle kids have fun.. too cold for the little guys.. the older kids go and clean up as a fundraiser for lacrosse, dh is there with the fire department for the bonfire)..

4 birthdays in October.. we're finally past those.. My mother, pretty much paid for any inconvenience between getting all the halloween costumes pulled together and going to a Young Life (non-denominational christian youth group) this coming week. The girls will get money toward camp if a parent type person goes to parent's night.. which is on scout night which I'd already had to rearrange for a class dh and I are going to go to.

And then there's these self defense types of classes happening this week.. well one is a "party" for women's self defense products (like pampered chef I guess LOL) but I'm interested and if my oldest gets off work soon enough I'd like her to go. And then there's a actual basic self-defense class in honor of abuse awareness month.. and I'm gonna take my girls to that I think. And then the class dh and I are taking on fire arms.

And then of course we have halloween in there.. and we're going to visit dh's parents early rather than at Thanksgiving.. and my mom will be moving to my sister's again for the winter, and.. and.. and..

Oh and school. some things are going well.. other's less so. Hope to really get us all back on track when grandmas is gone and I don't have to deal with that dynamic in the mix.

And I'm trying to chop up onions for the freezer (4lbs for a $1 so I got a lot) and it's making my eyes hurt.

And I get so much in my head about what's going on and how to get things done that I sorta "lock up" and get even less done

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Oh, I did Young Life, Jodie! I was even a club leader in college, back in the day. I hope the girls have fun at camp.

Sally

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

And I have all this time to hang out tonight because my husband and the 11th grader are in Virginia, visiting VMI (Virginia Military Institute), which is my son's first choice in colleges these days. He's sleeping in the barracks tonight, while his father cools his heels at the Lexington Best Western and writes emails to me.

And there wasn't much wine left here in the fridge, which is probably just as well, or I'd have a LOT MORE to say!

Sally

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We have stayed at that Best Western, Sally. Lovey area. Best of luck to your son as he ponders college alternatives.

We are gearing up for a hectic few weeks that involve Navy training, termite inspections, appraisals, etc. (We are hoping to refinance to take advantage of the current low interest rates, but this project has exploded well beyound routine paperwork!)

Meanwhile, the dance calendar is taking over the Entire Known Universe and we are trying mightily to figure out just how much schoolwork can reasonably be completed this semester.

And, also meanwhile, my mother-in-law needs doctor coordination prayers. She has several difficult-to-manage health conditions and her doctors never talk together about her case or about pain management. I am sure her doctors are glad I am an entire continent away, because I would be yelling at them right about now. Please pray that she will be assertive and insist they work together instead of at cross-purposes.

School? What is this school you speak of?

No, seriously, we're doing our best and holding our own. The college class continues to go very well. Dancing Daughter is actively researching transfer schools (to apply to two years from now), which is very helpful. God Willing, #1 Son will graduate in December from college - he's just waiting for the degree check to come back.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2014 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Nancy, congratulations to your son on his upcoming graduation! That's so exciting.

And yes, though we don't do competitive Irish dance, things have really heated up already in our third year -- more performances and starting hard shoe have been exciting developments, and really, I love going to the kinds of small-town festivals where our troupe performs. But it's a lot of time, suddenly!

Prayers for your mother-in-law.

Sally (whose day it is to drive the dance carpool . . . gotta get that Irish dancer rolling!)

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 25 2014 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Sally- Shakespeare! That is awesome for your ds!
My hat is off to all the people who can memorize lines and lines of Shakespeare and remember them under pressure on stage.

We recently saw a production of "A Midsummer's Night Dream".
It was very well done and laugh out loud funny. The man playing Bottom stole the show. My kids were excited to hear the lines we have memorized at home said on stage. My ds is especially a fan of Pyramus and Thisbe

Jodie- how do you manage the Halloween costumes at your house? Are costumes traded/handed down? Do all your kids pretty much know what they want to be or do you have "wafflers"?

It seems like dance in all forms takes up a huge amount of time. I am not driving out of town like Nancy and Sally, but the Nutcracker takes up time enough. I do think it is wonderful, though, how girls love their dancing!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 25 2014 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SallyT wrote:
And I have all this time to hang out tonight because my husband and the 11th grader are in Virginia, visiting VMI (Virginia Military Institute), which is my son's first choice in colleges these days. He's sleeping in the barracks tonight, while his father cools his heels at the Lexington Best Western and writes emails to me.

And there wasn't much wine left here in the fridge, which is probably just as well, or I'd have a LOT MORE to say!

Sally

We know a young (Catholic, homeschooled) man who just started at VMI. Lmk if your son would like his contact info. His parents are the baby's godparents, so while he challenges them a bit, I know he comes from good stock

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2014 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I wonder if their paths crossed, Lindsay! I don't know how much they let the freshmen communicate with visitors from the outside world -- apparently the first year is TOUGH. I'd love to know, myself, what your friends' son thinks about it so far.

Sally

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 25 2014 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

So... ugh.. but dh has training with the fire dept. this weekend.. and I decided to just take today OFF..

I have been sitting in a corner of the living room while kids play games on the floor and watch Hotel Transylvania and reading Sherlock Holmes and it's not even what's been assigned to the older kids (We're doing some British Lit this semester.. Tolkein, Doyle, Shakespeare, Dickens).

And I'm going to continue to labor under the delusion that my oldest won't be leaving home just yet.. she graduates this year but has 2 jobs she loves locally so we're going to get her some online college for her first year.. and then she's gonna head off to Culinary School (she'll need some basic classes for that for an AA degree).

Having serious thoughts about personal protection these days.. nothing has happened but.. it keeps coming up so I'm doing some things about that since they only come up rarely in the area anyway.

Halloween Costumes.. they follow along with just about everything else.. yes I keep costumes and hand them down. We also has a cache of dress up clothes for playing with that contain pieces that are very beneficial for the making of costumes (I've done a number of saints costumes from these last minute) Yes I usually have to add in some bits and pieces and/or whole costumes. This year my little guys wanted to be a monkey and Tree-foo Tom (it's on netflix, he watches it with grandma.. sorta a boy tree fairy hero    ) Grandma basically made those new this year. Next guy wants to be Tiger again.. I have Winnie the Pooh character costumes.. costly but they're so warm and hold up so well.. they get handed down and it works out to about every other year I get a group into them.. I think next year I'll push them one last time while I still have kids that fit in the smaller costumes and then I'll probably look at selling them. Then my little girl has talked a sister into being the Princess to her Popstar (A Barbie movie based on the Prince and the Pauper) bought the older girl a used formal for the princess and the little one has stuff she wants to use.. the two middle boys are Ninja and Samurai (costumes partly bought and partly made).. and the 3 older kids are pretty much on their own.. the oldest is going to help at work to hand out candy for the downtown "parade" where the businesses give candy out.. she's going to take a witch's hat and wear something dark from her normal clothes. The other two.. who knows.. they may just take capes (have some) and run around under capes We're still in an area where it's safe to trick or treat house to house.. especially in our neighborhood. So the bigs will take the littest ones out early and then I'll say home with them and watch the Heffalump Halloween Movie while handing out candy and dad will go out the middles and the older ones will stay in contact with phones. They have fun and it's usually cold enough they all come home before it's too late

The kids can be all over the place for what they want to do.. but generally if they're sticking to one thing they'll stay with it.. if they're going to waffle they waffle rapidly so you don't have someone saying they want one thing for weeks and then at the last minute changing.. of course that may be because I'd take the tack of "too bad, no time to change".. so maybe they just figured out that THAT sort of thing doesn't work.. unless of course they can come up with the new thing from what we have.

Cassie - Your fall weather sounds lovely. It's rather too cold and windy here to spend much time sitting outside. That sounds wonderful.

Sally - how fun about Young Life. My oldest has been to camp once and this is her last time as a "student" to go.. and her sister is very excited about it for her first time. But they have to earn all the money themselves for any camp they go to. So... it's great that my mom is still here to pinch hit for us.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2014 at 1:41am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Melting here last few days have been 38 Celsius (100F).

Have had the last 11 days with just our youngest five at home, all under 10, whilst our oldest 5 have been away on a Pilgrimage. Very different, but enjoyed it.

Praying our pilgrims home they are undertaking a 20hr+ drive home in one day as I type. Whilst the older two are spelling each other from driving I'm still worried.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

The children and I just returned from an impromptu trip through the southwest US. We attended the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, then visited nine National Parks. The 2 1/2 week trip went really well for being spur-of-the-moment and unplanned! We were blessed with gorgeous weather and friendly people everywhere we went. We returned home yesterday and I have been doing laundry since then. DH is very happy to have us back home. If all goes well he will be back to a regular work schedule in a week or so--the trip definitely helped me keep sane while he has been working extended hours.

Fall arrived while we were gone, and we returned to bare trees and fading fall colors--not to mention decidedly cooler temperatures than we enjoyed on our travels. The children (spurred by a slight financial incentive ) had fun raking leaves today, taking occasional breaks to eat pears from our lone pear tree.

I dread returning to the routine of obligations. The simpler days and freedom from scheduled activities experienced on our trip was refreshing. We are overbooked this semester. I hope to remedy that in 2015.

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2014 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

We are breathing here....just barely...but yep, it’s still called breathing. Good golly, I have been sick for days along with the two younger boys (I can’t call them the "little boys” anymore, they are teens!) I think that makes Lily in charge.

It’s not pretty Friends, please say a prayer...I can see a hospital stay looming ahead for one of the guys.

Other than that, hey! Life is grand....still breathing......and school, when people aren’t so darned focused on breathing, is going well. It’s still strange being down to three kiddos at home, we miss our “big boys” but they are doing so well at college.

And...I have to say, this has to have been one of the prettiest Autumn seasons for the leaves in years....just breathtaking.

Over and out....I hear a nebulizer that’s almost done and I need to jump on the phone right at 8am to get a double appt. at the doc.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 29 2014 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Oh, I am so sorry. We've had one round of chest congestion, but no really bad wheezing/asthma, for which I am profoundly grateful.

Praying for you with empathy!

Sally

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2014 at 12:28am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Two funerals this week and a big one next week for our friend. He was Guamanian and the tradition is to hold a Rosary Novena. For nine days people gather and say a Rosary and some litanies. It is very beautiful. Because of the large numbers, it was held at their parish. Tonight, the last night, there was a reception in the parish hall. We participated all nights except one and I found it to be comforting and healing. So many losses at one time has us being very grateful for life this week.

Trying to do school and mostly getting the basics done. We have been fairly consistent with a good morning routine, calling it Morning Time, and we have prayed the Rosary, said the Pledge for the younger set, and read. I have been hugely inspired by Sarah's Read Aloud Revival podcasts. So, so good! New to us is then going to the table for math for all the kids. This is working very well.

Our weather is finally starting to cool, not chilly by any stretch of the imagination. We may even sneak one last beach day in if we can.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

My goodness. This post is even 2 weeks old!    I logged on b/c I rec'd a new email prayer update from Pilgrim's old post about her mother, SIL etc. Then I noticed I haven't been "here" since Oct 28!! I used to check in here numerous times a DAY. Well, I am on my phone more and FB but it's def not the same. I love this forum.

I call this my "relaxed" year of homeschooling.    My oldest dd 15 (10th gr) attends a 2 day a week program and is home the other 3 days. She does 3 classes there and (supposedly) does the other 3 credits here at home. Those are hit and miss.      Only b/c she's bright and I know she could easily do her foreign language credit during the summer etc.

DS 14 which I've brought up on numerous occasions here with the struggles we've had is actually in public school grade 8 this year (he attended private school from prek-2nd grade) and then we homeschooled for 5 yrs. For various reasons, excluding the social "vocabulary" and other "street" knowledge, it's been a good fit. It hasn't been too extreme and I've just had to cover things with him I didn't want to but at his age, I guess I can't ignore some of this stuff forever.

So, DD 7 and DD 4 are home with me and I am sooo thoroughly enjoying this still sweet, gentle time with them. We read lots of books, pull out an occasional workbook, go on field trips and they play...a lot!

But I am always looking ahead as next year DS will be high school age and pondering his school future. I'm also not believing my "baby" will be sweet 16 in January. Other than that we are healthy, mostly happy, still struggles but manageable.

It's so nice to check in and "see" familiar names and catch up. Happy Thanksgiving (next week) everyone!

Kathryn

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version