Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Poetry Help Needed Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 26 2006 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Where to begin...with whom? My children are dd's 8,6,4 & 7mos & ds 2. I don't want to pick out a crummy poetry book on my own, then we'll never really "get it" or even like it.

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2006 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Two we use a lot are "Favorite Poems Old and New" by Helen Ferris and "The Harp and the Laurel Wreath" compiled by Laura Berquist. One we are enjoying right now is favorite poems of Jackie Kennedy Onasis compiled by her daughter, but I can't remember the exact name. I will look at it later today.

Your library might have all of these and then you could peruse them and see if they'd work for you.

Michelle
Back to Top View MichelleW's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleW

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: May 26 2006 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses is good too, and there are several different illustrated versions out there.

And I love Hummingbird Nest. A Journal of Poems

Another series of nature poems with beautiful illustrations is by Yvonne Winer:

Spiders Spin Webs
      Frogs Sing Songs
      Birds Build Nests
      Butterflies Fly

Our library carries all of the titles I've listed. I like checking them out every now and then and rereading.

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 26 2006 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

We have totally enjoyed Andrew Pudewa's poetry program, which is basically Suzuki poetry--very effective, and fun!

I also have "poetry party" suggestions on my poetry page. Hope this all helps!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2006 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

A.A. Milne's "Now We are Six" and "When We Were Very Young" were my introduction to poetry. We had a record that put some to song....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2006 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

The suggestions from Michelle and Janette are spot on - we use The Harp and the Laurel Wreath and A Child's Garden of Verses - but to suppliment them with something Catholic, try and put 'Catholic Poetry' or 'Marian Poetry' through the search engine and see what you can bring up - you can gather a collection to print up and place in a folder. So many of our Catholic prayers are poems.

"Anima Christi" "Night is falling dear Mother" "Little White Guest" "Sweet the Memory of Jesus" (that one is in the Laurel Wreath book) try looking at some of the sequences in some of the major feasts at Mass they are lovely.

The English translation to many of the Chants are also outstanding - Dias Iraes~Day of Wrath (our judgement day), Stabat Mather~Sorrowful Mother, Crux Fidelis~O Faithful Cross chanted on Good Friday. (I have these translations if you are interested and you cannot find them on the net) The children have the added benefit of learning beautiful prayers at Communion time, night prayers they will say all their lives etc.

Here is a segment from the Dies Irae (which is a sequence by the way):

The mighty trumpet's wondrous tone,
Shall rend each tomb's sepulchral stone
And summon all before the Throne.

and futher along...

You Who did Mary's guilt unbind,
And mercy for the robber find,
Have filled with hope my anxious mind.

The Church has such a treasure-trove of poems that enobles our children's understanding and love of their faith.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 26 2006 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

JennGM wrote:
A.A. Milne's "Now We are Six" and "When We Were Very Young" were my introduction to poetry. We had a record that put some to song....

I still sing the Changing Guard at Buckingham Palace song to my kids, though I have not heard it since my childhood...my mother used to sing it to us!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2006 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

For something lighthearted, we really like anything by Shel Silverstein (Where the Sidewalk Ends, etc) and this book:The Llama Who had No Pajamas:100 favorite poems.
This book:A Year Full of Poems is also nice for younger readers and is conveniently arranged by season.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2006 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Jenny, these are the titles in our poetry basket:

A Child's Garden of Verses (this is a small board book ~ lovely old-fashioned illustrations, but little-hand friendly! )

Eloise Wilkin's Poems to Read to the Very Young (another board book; I just love her illustrations)

A Box of Animal Crackers (a set of three board books ~ these have lasted years even with chew marks around the edges! )

Talking Like the Rain: A Read-to-Me Book of Poems (illustrated by Jane Dyer, another favorite)

And my soon to be 11yo loves Prayers from the Ark and the Creatures Choir which is filled with poems "by" animals to God. Ds read aloud from the book at our Mother's Day brunch last weekend and everyone loved them! My 6 yo likes them too. I have posted a few of them at my blog.

Hope that helps!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2006 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

MacBeth wrote:
JennGM wrote:

I still sing the Changing Guard at Buckingham Palace song to my kids, though I have not heard it since my childhood...my mother used to sing it to us!

Says Alice!

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2006 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

MacBeth wrote:
We have totally enjoyed Andrew Pudewa's poetry program, which is basically Suzuki poetry--very effective, and fun!

What does this mean? We learn a line to a stanza (depending on age) per day then recite and add a new one the next day and so forth. Is there a different way? Is it worth buying the program to find out?

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 26 2006 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

momwise wrote:

What does this mean? We learn a line to a stanza (depending on age) per day then recite and add a new one the next day and so forth. Is there a different way? Is it worth buying the program to find out?

It's not cheap, but basically, the kids ( actually, the whole family) listen to the poems to memorize them, just as one listens to music to learn it--not necessarily line by line. There is a Suzuki style listening/reciting chart . His selection or poems is top-notch, once you get past Ooey Gooey was a Worm , and the full text is also provided.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: May 26 2006 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Lissa wrote:
Says Alice!

Yes, yes!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2006 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

I like everything that's been mentioned and would also throw in a favorite of ours from several years ago -- The Mouse of Amherst is a very sweet little book that's a fun intro to Emily Dickinson.

And, you can't beat the poem "There is no frigate like a book" for young ones ... booklovers understand the sentiment and immediately connect with Emily!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version