Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Blessed Palms Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 21 2005 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I admit it, this is one of my pet peeves. Everyone plays with the blessed palms and it distresses me. I thought they were sacramentals, and so needed to be treated with respect. Sacramentals can only be burned or buried. So, why isn't anything said from the pulpit? Year after year I see pieces of palms strewn everywhere underfoot at the church, in the pews, in the aisles, in the courtyard.

I just found out the neighbor across the street is Catholic. They came home with palms yesterday. But to my dismay, several "rejected" palms fell on the sidewalk and street, and they didn't pick them up. So after they went inside, I retrieved them.

The Directory on Popular Piety has instructions on the palms:
Palms, olive branches and other fronds

139. Holy Week begins with Palm Sunday, or "Passion Sunday", which unites the royal splendour of Christ with the proclamation of his Passion".

The procession, commemorating Christ's messianic entry into Jerusalem, is joyous and popular in character. The faithful usually keep palm or olive branches, or other greenery which have been blessed on Palm Sunday in their homes or in their work places.

The faithful, however, should be instructed as to the meaning of this celebration so that they might grasp its significance. They should be opportunely reminded that the important thing is participation at the procession and not only the obtaining of palm or olive branches. Palms or olive branches should not be kept as amulets, or for therapeutic or magical reasons to dispel evil spirits or to prevent the damage these cause in the fields or in the homes, all of which can assume a certain superstitious guise.

Palms and olive branches are kept in the home as a witness to faith in Jesus Christ, the messianic king, and in his Paschal Victory.

So anyone have any priests giving counsel about this? Am I making too big a deal about it?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2005 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Jennifer, I completely agree that blessed palms should be treated with respect. We would not leave Rosary beads or holy cards on the floor to be trodden upon, so why is the palm treated with such disrespect? For this reason, I allowed my children to take only one piece of palm each, and we placed the palm behind our statue of the Blessed Mother as soon as we arrived home. I plan to let each of them make a simple palm cross to keep in their Easter Vigil notebooks (behind a sheet protector) by their narrations of the Passion. This works out perfectly, because their narrations began with the story of the first Palm Sunday.

When I was a child, my mother always made a simple palm cross for me to wear pinned to my dress for Mass. I thought of this too late yesterday, but it is a beautiful idea. I remember loving those little palm crosses.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 21 2005 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, Alice. You make me feel much better. It's seems so obvious to me...but when no one else says or acts in that manner, I start to question myself!

alicegunther wrote:
When I was a child, my mother always made a simple palm cross for me to wear pinned to my dress for Mass. I thought of this too late yesterday, but it is a beautiful idea. I remember loving those little palm crosses.

I remember seeing an idea in one of the liturgical books similiar to this. I wrote up a compilation for somewhere else:
Family members can gather the palms from Mass and make little palm crosses, one for each member of the family and one for each room in the house. There are a variety of ways to make the cross. The simplest is to take two small pieces, one a little longer than the other, crisscross the pieces in shape of a cross and staple at the middle. Another way is to make two small slits near the top (where the crossbeam would be) in the longer piece of palm and slide the cross beam through the slits. This could be a challenging project for the family members to try various methods.

Each person is given a palm cross to wear on their coats or clothing throughout Holy Week, to remind us to carry our cross patiently so we may share Christ's Easter glory.

I don't think it's too late to make a little cross to wear all through Holy Week!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2005 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Alice and Jenn,

I agree completely. I think people sometimes lose sight of what a sacramental is and how it should be treated. When the kids are small, they want to play with the palms all through Mass, tickle faces with them, etc., and so the learning process begins very young!

I love the cross idea! Thank you,

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2005 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

This year, beause our priest is sickly (I think that's the reason) -- we didn't have a procession into Mass with Palms. He spoke the greeting and the Palm Sunday gospel from the Narthex (we were all in the sanctuary) and then we rec'd the palms after Mass.

Altho I missed the procession, having the palms AFTER really avoided the playing and disrespect throughout Mass that we usually see. Parents could ensure that their children only took one palm or enough for the family and there was little or no "sword play" on the way out to cars.

Blessings,

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2005 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

jenngm67 wrote:
I don't think it's too late to make a little cross to wear all through Holy Week!

Right you are, Jenn. This will be especially good for Good Friday Mass.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2005 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I have to say that I have never heard a priest say anything about the palms from the pulpit. Not even any kind of instructions or suggestions of what to do with them.
Growing up my mom used to make crosses with our palm leaves a place it under our bed in between the box spring and the mattress. I never asked her why she did. I don't think she was being superstitous. I kind of like the idea of having a blessed object close to me when I sleep.
My dh always places his behind a crucifix in our room. But we are not very good about burning the one from last year. So we always end up with palm branches from several years. This year I am determined to burn the extra ones.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Natalia wrote:
But we are not very good about burning the one from last year. So we always end up with palm branches from several years. This year I am determined to burn the extra ones.

Is there any protocol to burning last year's palms? Would someone mind sharing how they do it?

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote mavmama

After we moved, I found several crosses made from palms and asked our priest how to properly dispose of them. He said to burn them. It didn't matter where; the fireplace was acceptable. That's what I did with them.

By the way, I made crowns (crown of thorns) out of palms last year, and have several other things that I weave from them right after mass on Palm Sunday every year. I place them in each room, and many times, I have sent little woven crosses in my Easter cards.

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Our priest actually asked for them back so that he could burn them on Tuesday for the ashes on Ash Wednesday. I just dropped mine off at Mass today.

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Dawn wrote:
Is there any protocol to burning last year's palms? Would someone mind sharing how they do it?

I would also be interested in hearing the answer to this -- especially from those of you who do not have wood-burning fireplaces. There must be a better way than burning them with a match in the sink.

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I put mine in a clay pot and burn them. Sometimes it's difficult because the flames die out and I have to re-light several times. (We always seem to miss the deadline for returning them to the church for use on Ash Wednesday. :/ )

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 18 2007 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

cathhomeschool wrote:
(We always seem to miss the deadline for returning them to the church for use on Ash Wednesday. :/ )

Exactly my problem!

Thanks for the clay pot tip! We may just have to designate a special clay pot for the purpose. My wheels are spinning... It could even be painted: "Old & broken sacramentals here."

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

Jennifer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 27 2007 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote Jennifer

I was directed here and love all the little palm cross ideas. I have 8 months to burn these and come up with plans for making other items. I will definitely google crown of thorns. Does anyone have a link to simple directions?

JenniferCamp Homeschool
Back to Top View Jennifer's Profile Search for other posts by Jennifer

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version