Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Independent reading Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 10 2014 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I am trying to get my planning in place for next year before the baby comes and I had a couple of questions. My 8 year old is reading fluently. In the past couple of months I have added a little bit of his own reading to his school day (a short religion reading and then either science or history). I would like to increase this for next year. He loves doing this silent reading, especially since I picked topics that are of great interest to him.      He is reluctant to narrate. He tells me that he understands it and doesn't want to tell it back to me. He eventually does tell it back fairly well. First off, are there any ways to make the narration portion less stressful? He is a decent narrator (doesn't do details, but the main facts and I am happy with that). He is kind of a reluctant narrator even during morning basket. He accuses me of thinking that he wasn't paying attention and I have tried to explain to him that narrating helps him to process what he read and understand it better in his own mind.

Secondly, he likes it to be quiet when he is reading. Do you have your kids do their silent reading in their bedrooms? Our school area is just not very quiet. It isn't loud, but I am usually helping one of the other kids when he is doing something independent.

Also, I have one more question about silent reading of novels. My son was doing really well with this. He was reading about 2 chapters a day on his own. My husband started reading with him (they would both read the same book silently) as sort of a bonding thing. The problem is that now this has become a habit and he wants dad to read with him all the time. My husband only does this a couple of times a week and I want him to do silent reading every day. Is there any good way to break this habit? It kind of formed without my knowledge.

We are doing US History chronologically (using the Mara Pratt series supplemented with picture books which my kids all love). We did a little bit of Greek history this year as well. My son is interested in Vikings. I was going to read Viking Stories by Jennie Hall next term. Is there any problem with going out of chronological order for history or could we read a book about Vikings one term, a book about Egypt the next, etc. I am really not digging deeply into world history yet. Basically we are doing a sampling. We will continue with D'Aulaire's Greek myths and Aesops next year because we are not going to finish those this year.

Sorry to have so many questions! Thanks for your help!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 20 2014 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

kristinannie wrote:
I am trying to get my planning in place for next year before the baby comes and I had a couple of questions. My 8 year old is reading fluently. In the past couple of months I have added a little bit of his own reading to his school day (a short religion reading and then either science or history). I would like to increase this for next year. He loves doing this silent reading, especially since I picked topics that are of great interest to him.      He is reluctant to narrate. He tells me that he understands it and doesn't want to tell it back to me. He eventually does tell it back fairly well. First off, are there any ways to make the narration portion less stressful? He is a decent narrator (doesn't do details, but the main facts and I am happy with that). He is kind of a reluctant narrator even during morning basket. He accuses me of thinking that he wasn't paying attention and I have tried to explain to him that narrating helps him to process what he read and understand it better in his own mind.

Could he type or write the narrations?
Could he narrate into a voice recorder (I have one on my kindle, for instance, but there are many things that record now - phones, etc.) It could be he doesn't like the feeling of "performing?"

Quote:
Secondly, he likes it to be quiet when he is reading. Do you have your kids do their silent reading in their bedrooms? Our school area is just not very quiet. It isn't loud, but I am usually helping one of the other kids when he is doing something independent.

I let them read where ever they are happiest reading, and as long as they are reading and retaining, then hanging upside down on the couch, or laying in the backyard under a tree, or in their room/bed...doesn't matter to me.

Quote:
Also, I have one more question about silent reading of novels. My son was doing really well with this. He was reading about 2 chapters a day on his own. My husband started reading with him (they would both read the same book silently) as sort of a bonding thing. The problem is that now this has become a habit and he wants dad to read with him all the time. My husband only does this a couple of times a week and I want him to do silent reading every day. Is there any good way to break this habit? It kind of formed without my knowledge.

Have a "Book with Dad" book, and then other books for him alone?

Quote:
Is there any problem with going out of chronological order for history

No.
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version